Special Ed Duties by State

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by Moose, May 17, 2021.

1. Moose

Moose New Member

May 17, 2021

Hi All,

I’ve recently moved states, and found out that the duties of a special educator can vary hugely. In NJ, I taught special Ed in inclusion and resource rooms, wrote my blurb and goals for the IEPs and did progress reporting on my goals only; I was also called into IEP meetings periodically to speak. There was an entire department called the child study team who were in charge of acting as liaisons: doing evaluations, writing the rest of the IEP, organizing and chairing IEP meetings, working out scheduling, behavior plans and everything else while the student was in our school.
    Now, I’m teaching in MA, where the special Ed teacher is expected to also act as the liaison and perform all of these duties in addition to teaching a full load of classes. I had no idea it could be this different and I’m so so disappointed and regretting my move because of this, as from my viewpoint I’m doing two full time jobs for one salary. I’d love to know what the duties are for special Ed teachers in other states. Just wish I’d thought to ask here before moving!
    TIA!

3. mathteachertobe

mathteachertobe Cohort

May 17, 2021

The schools I've worked at in California operate like the MA model you describe.

Moose likes this.
  4. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

May 19, 2021

Ours is like the MA model.

Moose likes this.
  5. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

May 19, 2021

I'm in CO and we do everything. Not only are we case managers in addition to doing all of the teaching, but we also do the formal testing for evaluations. It is wild to me that some states have "case manager" as an entirely separate job, or "diagnostician" as an entirely separate job, or some places only have some sped teachers do those things and they get stipends. I get the same pay as any other teacher. We've definitely had several people over the years I've been in the district who have moved from other states with fewer expectations and then they either can't handle the job or just flat out don't want to do it.

6. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

May 19, 2021

I hate to burst your bubble, OP, but a fairly high percentage of the SPED teachers in NJ have the same responsibilities you are talking about in MA. Some larger districts may have more layers of SPED teachers and CST members, meaning that some of the things that you, and many others, hate about SPED are farmed out to members of the team who are very good at all the tedious stuff, and maybe they get paid a little more or get a different title. In the regular district, however, there are fewer teachers and they take on these daunting tasks. NJ does have a Learning Consultant (LDTC) as a part of the team, something most other states do not have. Due to the caseload and amount of work you are now experiencing, there have been several threads in this forum over the years about SPED teachers who want to give up that endorsement just to get out of the overwhelming amount of work, and there have been posts from most states. Just wanted you to know this is more the norm than the exception, not that knowing will make it any easier to accept.

a2z likes this.
  7. mrsf70

mrsf70 Companion

May 23, 2021

It's the same in Indiana.

Moose likes this.
  8. Moose

Moose New Member

May 28, 2021

I’m not sure this is so, having worked at 4 separate and very different NJ districts. Case manager positions have different licensing requirements.

9. Moose

Moose New Member

May 28, 2021

I sure don’t want to do it, you’re definitely right! :)

10. No name

No name New Member

Jun 9, 2021

Sped teachers have to conduct reeval and eligibility meetings, academic testing, interpret results and write academic assessment reports, create the entire IEP, coordinate and facilitate IEP meetings in Hawaii.