special ed and regular ed communication

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by amydoo, Sep 24, 2014.

1. amydoo

amydoo New Member

Sep 24, 2014

Hi All,
    I am a special education teacher and I am looking for any type of communication system that works well between a special ed teacher and a regular ed teacher. I do not coteach and we do not have time set in our schedules to discuss our shared students. We chat as often as we can, but it never seems to be enough. What do other people do to help with the communication?
    Looking forward to hearing some responses.
    Thank you!

3. LouiseB

LouiseB Cohort

Sep 25, 2014

I wish I had some ideas for you but I'm in the same boat as you. I find it difficult to have the communication that is really needed. Hope someone will have a good system that works!

4. Tutor

Tutor Comrade

Sep 25, 2014

Email and stolen conversations are all I ever seem to work out. I do mostly pull-out and the teachers usually talk to me when I go to get a student OR we talk at lunch. I count my lunchtime as work time bc it is often the best time to chat with a teacher.

5. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 25, 2014

Email is best for me. It gives me a chance to answer when I have time. I wouldn't want to spend my duty free lunch period chatting with a teacher about one of our shared students.

6. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 25, 2014

My SPED teachers meet with the reg ed teachers during conference periods...in theory. Sometimes this doesn't happen, but for the most part it works.

7. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Sep 25, 2014

Is there a way that, at least once a month, both of your classes could be covered so you can conference? I would be lost without my Special Ed counterpart keeping me in the loop on each student's needs and progress.

8. Leatherette

Leatherette Comrade

Sep 25, 2014

Wish I could help, but I work with 19 teachers and we just have the "hallway grab" method. Trust makes a difference.