Special Ed Aide

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by INteacher1, Jul 31, 2012.

1. INteacher1

INteacher1 New Member

Jul 31, 2012

I just graduated in May with a B.S. In Elementary Education. I took a position at my old elementary/high school (a fantastic district that I wanted to be in) as an aide, since they didn't have any teaching positions open.

I'm going to be in a self contained special ed classroom with student 3rd-6th grades. Since my major was just ElEd and not SpecEd, I would love some tips and info on what to expect/what to do. I have worked with some special ed students before, but not exclusively. The students in this classroom are not severe. Thanks!

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Aug 1, 2012

Congrats on the job. I would definitely talk with the teacher. Try to follow her/his advice and learn as much as you can. It's great experience for your resume too!

4. bridgetbordeaux

bridgetbordeaux Companion

Aug 2, 2012

Hello, I worked in an autism self contained classroom last year since I didn't get hired as a teacher. I just followed the lead of the teacher and the other para, asked plenty of questions, and read books that the teacher recommended.
    I feel very fortunate to have had that experience. I am thinking of getting my certification in Special Ed now.
    Good Luck