Special chair?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Missy99, Aug 7, 2009.

1. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Aug 7, 2009

Special chair? UPDATED: Now SPECIAL TREATS?

Update: So many people mentioned special treats other than chairs, so feel free to add to the conversation :)
    Some of the teachers at my school have a special chair they allow students to sit in if the students have been well behaved, made a good grade, etc.

I just bought a really cool peacock chair that ties in with my tropical classroom and I would like to use it for this purpose.

However, I need some ideas as to why a student should be allowed to sit in the chair, for how long, how often, that sort of thing. Any advice? Thanks!

3. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Aug 7, 2009

I gave the students my chair on their birthdays. It is also a prize for a certain number of AR points.

What about something like a "caught doing good?" If you see someone doing something above and beyond, you could let them have the chair for a class period, an hour, etc. If they ask for it, then they don't get it.

4. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Aug 7, 2009

Being able to sit in the chair for silent reading might be a treat.

I've always had pillows in my reading area and who got to be on the floor on the pillows rotated each day. The kids loved them and I was very happy to have a room mother who took them home on Friday each week and washed them for me.

5. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Aug 7, 2009

These are all great ideas!

6. fawyndra

fawyndra Rookie

Aug 7, 2009

When I was in high school, there was a recliner in my geometry class and whoever got the highest score on a test got to sit there until the next test. I thought it was really cool (probably because I did get to sit there for part of the year).

When applying it to elementary, I might use it more for whoever writes the best ____ gets to sit there for the rest of the day, or who ever is the quietest in this assembly, or anyone who turns in every homework assignment for the month gets to sit in the chair for part of the day.

I think it is great to have that kind of tangible, yet cheap to you reward. I have globes in my class, and the teams that are doing the best (fastest prepared, quietest, sitting nicest) get the globe on their table. For 95% of the day, that is the only perk to having the globe... is the symbol of "we are doing great!" At the end of the day, the team with the globe gets pretzels and gets to leave first, but the rest of the day it is just for glory lol.

This year I am thinking about adding a stuffed animal or a special pen or something for neatest writer.

Anyways... sorry for the tangents lol, hope that my beginning advice helps.

7. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Aug 7, 2009

No, don't apologize -- tangents are great because they serve as a wellspring for new ideas!

Some of the ideas you put forth will definitely be utilized :)

8. Matt633

Matt633 Comrade

Aug 7, 2009

Do you know the "homeworkopoly" game board? I made a Mooreopoly (my last name) game and at the end of the week everyone who has completed all of their work (all assignments home and class) get to play the game. My chance and Community chest prizes are sitting in the orange (papasan) chair, or the black butterfly chair, or sit at the teachers desk. It works well!

9. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

Aug 7, 2009

Having that special chair is great for "catching something good." It is especially effective with kids who have some behavior problems. Catch them holding the door for someone, and invite them to sit in the chair for an hour.

Another behavior management tool....clipboards. My kids go crazy for clipboards, and when they are 97 cents at walmart.....

10. ZookeeperVA

ZookeeperVA Rookie

Aug 7, 2009

What about using it for behavior rewards like people have suggested and also using it as an author's chair as well. Let the chair work in many different ways for you.

11. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Aug 8, 2009

I absolutely LOVE all these ideas! Who would imagine I would be able to work three entire classes all year long with an $8 chair!

12. smurfette

smurfette Habitué

Aug 8, 2009

With that recliner, do you move it from desk to desk, or do you have a desk nearby, or does the student not sit there when they are working at their desk? I love this idea, but I'm trying to get the logistics straight.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2009
  13. natelukesmom

natelukesmom Companion

Aug 8, 2009

I like this chair idea! I've never thought of something like that before. :)

14. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Aug 8, 2009

Borrow it!

15. Matt633

Matt633 Comrade

Aug 8, 2009

I have several "lap desks" that the student can use....but I just purchased the $19.00 cube ottoman from Wal-mart and one of my students who was at the school came in and said "It will be really cool to sit in the chair and use the ottoman as a desk, then she said no I want to sit on the pillow and use the ottoman as a desk" so she gave me even more ways to use the stuff I bought!

16. ilovetoread

ilovetoread Rookie

Aug 8, 2009

One year I had a stuffed money that my Kinder kids could earn--whoever was best behaved during morning carpet time got to have the monkey accompany them to centers for the rest of the morning. That was the entire reward but many kids worked really hard for it!

17. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Aug 8, 2009

I have a lot of cool stuffed animals that the kids even love to take home for the night -- maybe holding them back as incentives would work?

18. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Aug 8, 2009

I have heard of classes having a "traveling trophy" that sat on the desk/table of a kid (or group) doing great work. The less it was pulled out and used, the more it meant.

19. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Aug 9, 2009

I use a chair for this purpose too. It is my authors chair where kids can sit and read a book to the class or share their writing. I have passes that I made that allow a child to sit in the chair to do their work. Kids will work hard to get in that chair!