SPECIAL BIRTHDAY ANNOUNCEMENT!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Obadiah, Apr 13, 2017.

1. Obadiah

Obadiah Groupie

Apr 13, 2017

I just read in the paper, yesterday, that author Beverly Cleary, (Ramona Quimby, Otis Spofford, turned 101 years old!!! Happy birthday, Beverly Cleary!

She is one of my favorite children's authors. I appreciate how she realistically portrayed kids' attitudes and actions. I also appreciated the subtle hints she'd include for teachers: the recorded spelling test on a phonograph that was too fast, the day Ramona overheard her teacher calling her a pest, why Ramona refused to write the cursive letter Q, what prompted Otis's unusual behavior, and other gentle admonishments. One humorous memory, we were reading aloud the story about the lab rats in the classroom. This was the same time a new cartoon show was on TV, Pinky and the Brain. When we got to the one rat's name in the story, Pinky, my students started looking at each other and giggling. And then there was The Hard Boiled Egg Fad. Sure enough, the next day at lunch, a student called me over to her table and showed me her mother packed her a hard boiled egg. (I don't think she cracked it on her head like Ramona, though).

Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
    Backroads and Upsadaisy like this.
  3. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Apr 14, 2017

How nice of you to post this. I checked on twitter and she actually does have a twitter account though she hasn't posted. She follows a few people, it seems. I sent her a greeting there. What a wondrous author.

Obadiah likes this.
  4. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Apr 14, 2017

I will always remember Ramona wanting to pull on Susan's curls in the hopes to hear that "BOIIIING" noise.

Upsadaisy and Obadiah like this.
  5. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Apr 15, 2017

I love Ramona! I tried to get my class to love her too butI had to stop and explain a lot of thing since the times were so different. But they are just first graders!

Upsadaisy likes this.
  6. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Apr 15, 2017

I always find it sad when books I love become outdated in ways that confuse kids or turn them off. :anguished: I wondered a while back if that happened with A Wrinkle In Time.

Obadiah likes this.