Speaking -- too fast

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Crono91, Nov 7, 2012.

1. Crono91

Crono91 Rookie

Nov 7, 2012

Hey everyone,

I wouldn't say I have a speech problem, but I have an issue where--I guess--my brain just moves too fast compared to my words.

Most times I find this happening when I think about what I'm going to say way too much, and when it comes down to saying it, I rush right through, making it difficult for people to understand, so then I have to say it again!

I'm 20 and trying to find ways to cure this before I reach the teaching profession (dear God before I reach that). Has anyone ever had this issue and found a way to at least help it?

Thanks

3. MikeTeachesMath

MikeTeachesMath Devotee

Nov 7, 2012

Yes! I used to do that all the time. I had to make a conscious effort to slow my speech down, and now it's second nature. I couldn't tell you how long it took, though... I sort of forgot about it until I realized, "Hey, I'm not doing it anymore!"

4. mkbren88

mkbren88 Cohort

Nov 7, 2012

I am the same way. I have gotten much better since I make a conscious effort to slow down, but when I get nervous (if my P comes in the room, or giving a speech in front of adults), my brain gets all jumbled and my words just start spewing out lol I just have to remember to slow down, calm down and then I am fine.

5. TeachingHistory

TeachingHistory Companion

Nov 8, 2012

I did the same thing. I had to stop and be like "Ok, I am going to SLOW DOWN" and continually remind myself. Eventually you get there. If I feel like I'm moving too fast or not in a good order I'll stop talking and get the kids to tell me what I said.

I was a tour guide for two summers. That FORCED me to slow down. Saying the same rehearsed thing over and over and over... that took some skill not to become a trainwreck.

6. applecore

applecore Devotee

Nov 8, 2012

Me too!

I have to come up with trigger words to slow me down. It seems to happen a lot for ADD and OCD minds that are attempting to get to the point quick, but need to explain in detail what's going on (from my perspective :)).

Most of the time my trigger word is saying the person's name or "class" or "boys and girls" help me remember to breathe and think at the same time.

7. HistTchr

HistTchr Habitué

Nov 8, 2012

I have always been a fast talker. I am very aware of it, and make a conscious effort to speak slowly when I am teaching. I always tell students from day 1 to feel free to ask me to slow down if they think I went over something too fast.