Speaking to kids over the phone at home

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Cthdenver, Oct 2, 2007.

1. Cthdenver

Cthdenver Rookie

Oct 2, 2007

For those of you who have read the book how to speak so kid will listen and how to listen so kids will speak - I am a big fan of this philosophy. The idea is that with time and communication with a child a teacher or a parent can change a child into anything. Seeing as school days are very short and there are many kids that if spoken to nicely about certain behaviors or problems could help make a major change. Do you think it would be strange if a teacher calls a students house to speak to the student themselves. Obviously the parent could listen it. THOUGHTS ANYBODY???

3. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2007

I've done it several times. It felt strange at first, but I'm fine with it now.

4. Cthdenver

Cthdenver Rookie

Oct 2, 2007

And When you do it - how do you do it? Call the parents fists - then ask to speak to the child. Are the parents responsive to this approach.

5. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Oct 2, 2007

I don't see a problem with calling the students directly as long as the parents are aware of what the topic of the conversation is about. It wouldn't be a bad idea. It would let the student know that you care about them and that you will follow through if you tell them you'll call.

I'm sure that this might be something that can be brought up at back to school night or open house in front of the parents so they are aware this may happen or send a note home to parents letting them know it could happen.