speaking of Guided Reading...

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by lcluigs03, Aug 3, 2008.

1. lcluigs03

lcluigs03 Cohort

Aug 3, 2008

how do you "do" a book?

day 1: picture walk/predictions
    day 2: read quietly as i come around to do a quick Running Record
    day 3: read as a group...popcorn reading? we also do vocab on this day
    day 4: buddy read and come together to discuss
    day 5: reading response

this is just a quick run through of what i do every day. i was curious what you all do. do you stay with the same book for a week or see how it goes with them?

thanks!
    LC

3. born2teach84

born2teach84 Comrade

Aug 3, 2008

guided reading for me is similar

I have a group that is leveled out and I use trade books with them. Sometimes the persons in the group have the same or different book. We take a picture walk....vocab and talk about our predictions. We do CROP-QV so we use that alot before we start. Then the second and third day we read. Sometimes take turns...read to ourselves and I listen one at a time or just in our head. Then the fourth day we read it one more time and talk about the elements. I have a focus each time with a book like sequencing or fact and oppinion. We work alot with the story talking about those elements. It depends on my group and the story as to how long it takes to get through the story. Sometimes we finish a book in two or three days. We rotate and the kids then respond to the story when they go to reading response. I also may not see ever group everday.