Spaying Kitty

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by chebrutta, Apr 18, 2009.

1. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Apr 18, 2009

I'm taking BabyCat to get spayed in about 30 minutes. I'm a little bit worried, because she's alternately spunky and psychotic and sweet and I've heard stories about cats who have personality changes after wards.

Anyone have a cat that stayed the same after? Or changed?

3. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Apr 18, 2009

Both of my kitties have stayed the same. They both got a bit "pudgy" in the mid-section (which I have heard is normal). Good luck!

4. Crzy_ArtTeacher

Crzy_ArtTeacher Comrade

Apr 18, 2009

My little boy kitten is still a spunky, crazy little cat. I wouldn't worry too much. I worried about it myself and I still have my kooky kitten living with me!

5. Canadian Gal

Canadian Gal Habitué

Apr 18, 2009

My Mom has several cats (and by several I mean she could make a bid for Crazy Cat Lady if she got a few more!) and all of her cats are the same as they were before they were fixed, male and female. Only one of the girls really got pudgy, the other two are fine.

6. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Apr 18, 2009

Well, I dropped her off. She behaved very well in the office - no yowling or scratching or desperate bids for freedom - but she was eyeing Edgar, The Gorgeous Persian. Guess it's good she's getting fixed!

7. adventuresofJ

adventuresofJ Comrade

Apr 18, 2009

As long as you do not free-feed and make sure she gets plenty of exercise then the pudge shouldn't be a problem. Sometimes even cats need to go on walks if they won't play inside the house.

8. peggy27

peggy27 Cohort

Apr 18, 2009

Mine stayed the same, we also had her declawed at the same time. She did get alittle fatter in the belly. We tried to cut her food amount down and she stopped eating in protest. So she just always has her bowl full.

Give her lots of love when she comes home!!!

9. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Apr 18, 2009

Well, she's home. She threw up on the way; demanded to be let out as soon as we got in the house; and is now hissing at me every time I get within a foot of her.

She is currently giving herself a VERY thorough bath (was still wet when I picked her) and... yep. Still hissing. She's never hissed at me before.

LOL, they also told me no running, no jumping, no climbing, no licking the incision. I'm not sure if they've ever seen a cat before - those are all of her favorite things!

10. adventuresofJ

adventuresofJ Comrade

Apr 18, 2009

Ahh pissed kitty. If you can isolate her to one room for a while that will help with the running/jumping/climbing... the licking... just keep an eye on it and make sure its not red/raw, if it does get that way you may have to put an e-collar on her.
    My sister's cat HATES car rides and is always angry for a little while when he gets home, but he loves the Vet where he boards... go figure.

11. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Apr 18, 2009

LOL - she normally really likes car rides (the gear shift! the foliage! The horror of Mommy singing!) I think she's still a little stoned.

She's on the porch now, done with her bath, taking a nap in the sun. I hope she's feeling more lovey when I get home from work :)

12. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Apr 18, 2009

Glad to hear it went well! We got Bunny nuetered last spring-boy did he need it! He was marking everything. He was a bit laid back for a few days, but his personality didn't change a bit-he's still crazy and eats everything. He doesn't run circles around my feet as much anymore, which I've heard is a mating thing, so that would make sense. We made the mistake of giving him a whole apple as an 'I'm sorry' treat when he got home (the newsletter said to give fruit). We had quite a mess on our hands. But I'm sure he was happy while eating it...

13. peggy27

peggy27 Cohort

Apr 18, 2009

It's hard to keep them quiet!! Watch the incision if it gets red or develops a bump call the vet.

14. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Apr 18, 2009

She should be fine. I agree to confine her till she is on her feet from the surgery. We usually kept our kitties in the bathroom with plenty of water and a litter box for a couple of days.

We never had a problem with a personality change. It really is better for them too. I understand they are more likely to develop cancer if not spayed! Sorry she is hissing - probably feeling like poo! Kinda funny! "Thanks a lot mom!"