Sparkle words

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by liz07, Mar 1, 2007.

1. liz07

liz07 Rookie

Mar 1, 2007

What are good words to use to play sparkle in second and third grade besides weekly spelling words?

3. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Mar 1, 2007

Anything you're expecting them to be able to spell should be OK... so anything off your word wall, high frequency words, vocab from math, science, social studies, etc. Plus, those content words might help you stump some of your kids who can otherwise spell everything... :)

4. AuburnTeach

AuburnTeach Companion

Mar 1, 2007

I'm not familiar with the game Sparkle. Can someone explain it, please?

5. mhcooley

mhcooley Companion

Mar 1, 2007

This is how to play Sparkle

1 Have the class form a large circle in an open area. Ask them to stay standing.
    2 Tell the students that you are going to give them a spelling word and that it is very important for them to pay attention.
    3 Say a spelling word, e.g. "sphere."
    4 The first person will say the word "sphere."
    5 The next student will say the first letter of the word, "s." If a student misspells the word, they have to sit down.
    6 Have students go around the circle, spelling out the word "sphere."
    7 Once all of the letters have been correctly spelled out, the next student says the whole word.
    8 The next person in the circle says "sparkle" and the person after them sits down.
    9 Start the game over when there are only a few students left standing.

6. Miss Jana

Miss Jana Rookie

Mar 1, 2007

I'm responding to this thread because we play sparkle with our first graders. They love it. We play it a bit differently...Basically it's the same, but we don't have the kids say the word before and after spelling it...and we only "sparkle" the winner at the end. I just learned to play this game from my cooperating teacher a few weeks ago, and I have to say...I have a big beef with it! :)

It bothers me that the person who is next after the word is spelled (or the person after the person who says sparkle, i.e. #8 above) has to automatically sit down. It doesn't seem fair that they have to sit down just because they are next in line...not because they missed a letter.

Is there a reason I'm not thinking of as to why it is done that way? I don't want to change the rules that the first graders have been using all year, but it really bugs me to see perfectly good spellers have to sit down just because of their position in the circle.

7. monique468

monique468 New Member

Mar 1, 2007

sparkle

We play sparkle, but the kids only sit down if they misspell a word.

8. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Mar 5, 2007

My guess is it's done that way because then the "good psellers" aren't always the ones who are going to win... it gives everyone a chance to win and to lose... at least, that's how I see it. ;)

9. Research_Parent

Research_Parent Cohort

Mar 5, 2007

Right, clarnet73...the game isn't as fun when the same people win over and over, because no one can ever get them out otherwise.
    My kids call it "getting sparkled"...

Another twist, instead of just going around the room, change the calling order...arrange by height, ABC, groups, or just randomly using your roster so no one knows who is coming next.

We've also done Challenge Sparkle against other classes. Kids line up [ ABAB or AABB (pattern like)] so when spelling the word, each letter or every other letter alternated between classes.

10. Miss Jana

Miss Jana Rookie

Mar 5, 2007

Oh, wow, I never thought of it that way! Yes, now I can totally understand why it's done like that. It makes it so that the same people don't win all the time. I knew there MUST be a reason it was played that way! Thanks! :)

11. Ms.T

Ms.T Comrade

Mar 5, 2007

My students always BEG to play this, but I never really knew how to play until I read the above description. But I have a couple of questions:

When the word is spelled, then the word is said, then the next person says sparkle, then the next person sits down - then what? Do you give them a new word and the person next to the just-sat-down-person starts it?

Also, (I guess this is just the party-pooper in me), isn't it silly that the students who need the most practice and are the worst spellers will probably get 'out' right away and then sit down and make mischief? Does anyone change it around so that the low spellers can play longer?

Thanks!

12. Miss Jana

Miss Jana Rookie

Mar 5, 2007

To answer your first question, yes, we do a new word for that next person.

For us, our spelling isn't word lists, it's sentences. So we have a combination of small words and larger words in our spelling sentences each week. When we play sparkle with them, the lowest kids can still be successful quite a bit of the time. There are always "the", "it", "a", etc, in our sentences.

Not sure how it would work with lists.

13. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Mar 5, 2007

We play some variations. We play the original version (we stand in circles for all of ours instead of a straight line) and.....

1. Pop Up Sparkle....The first person picks a word and stays standing with the first letter. The second person squats with the second letter. THe third person stays standing..etc. The last person says "And that spells what??!!" (instead of sparkle) and everyone squats down and jumps up saying shouting the word they spelled. No one is out.
    2. Out in the Circle: Same as sparkle except the person after sparkle says the word they spelled and the following person picks a new word. The only people that are "out" are the ones that missed or messed up. They only stay out until the word is complete OR another person messes up. Then they trade the spot from the middle (sitting down in a circle).

14. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Mar 5, 2007

With my fifth graders, I allowed them to get back 'in' by correcting any mistakes that were made. I told them that the first person who's hand I saw could give the correct letter, and then we continued spelling with the person next to them.

15. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Mar 5, 2007

With 1st graders we never really sit them out for mistakes. We mostly use that rule for inattentiveness.

16. Miss J

Miss J Rookie

Mar 6, 2007

We call it cherry pie and after the word is spelled out one kid says cherry, the next says pie, and the next we all say "goodbye." I like that someone randomly gets out because as others said, it gives everyone a chance to win. My lower spellers love this game because they have a chance to win. They beg to play this game. I have never had to speak to kids about misbehaving when they get out. NOrmally everyone is watching the game to see who wins. The boys tend to root for boys and girls for girls. It's fun!