Spanish Teachers: Language Immersion in the Classroom

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Charlotte Oxnam, Jan 23, 2018.

1. Charlotte Oxnam

Charlotte Oxnam New Member

Jan 23, 2018

Hi there, I'm Charlotte. I'm new to this chat board but I created Breaking the Barrier, which allows students to video chat with native peers in a controlled way to work on Spanish abilities. I'm not here to pitch all of you, but I would love to hear what you all as teachers want from a program like mine. What are your biggest needs as Spanish teachers when it comes to pen pal-esque programs?

3. Teacher234

Teacher234 Cohort

Jan 25, 2018

NEVERMIND.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
  4. Charlotte Oxnam

Charlotte Oxnam New Member

Jan 26, 2018

I genuinely did not mean for this to be an advertisement, and I am sorry that it came off as one. My goal is merely to provide the most helpful tool to all teachers and getting feedback from communities like this one is one of the many ways I am trying to do that.

5. Teacher234

Teacher234 Cohort

Jan 26, 2018

Hope you have a fun journey being a Spanish teacher. Not that I know anything about this forum, but I do not think surveys like yours are allowed on here....I'm probably wrong, though.

6. mcqxu

mcqxu Comrade

Jan 27, 2018

I'm not in the market to purchase anything (nor is my school), but I will gladly answer your question. I have participated in several letter exchanges with schools in other countries. While there were certainly some benefits, I have a hard time with penpal programs because while they seem ideal a lot of times it ends up being a letter translation class. This is a huge challenge for me. We have very limited classes as I teach in the primary grades, so my job is to maximize that time by providing students with as much comprehensible input as I can. The goal is comprehension, and that they can feel confident with what they know. So while cultural exchanges are great there needs to be quite a bit of planning and a clear understanding of goals on either end, so that both sides are benefiting and so that it is the absolute best use of limited class time. I hope that helps. Best of luck with your program!