Spanish speaking parents and notes home--what do you do?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by perplexed, Aug 26, 2012.

1. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 27, 2012

What ama and Caesar have said - and they're right - is that those Web sites don't exist. Translation is far from being merely a matter of word-for-word substitution.

2. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 27, 2012

...and because of that, I'd send my spell-checked, grammatically correct communications home in English. Families will figure out what they need to know. Incorrect, badly worded communications would not be sent home from my school...no matter how well intentioned.:2cents:

3. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 29, 2012

Now that I have my stamp made, I don't really have to have anything translated now that I think of it!

4. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Aug 29, 2012

The majority of my kids speak Spanish as a primary language. However, I do have several English-only kids (you may remember from a previous thread about how I have a handful of teachers' kids).

Thankfully, I am fluent in Spanish. I send home all communication (that comes directly from me) in English and Spanish.

Anything that comes from the office is in English, Spanish, and Hmong.

5. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Aug 29, 2012

Be very, very cautious of these sites. :2cents:

One day this summer, I tried one of these sites to see how they'd translate my back-to-school letter to parents. When I got the translation, it made very little sense. If I would've sent home what was given to me from the website, I would've looked ignorant!

6. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Aug 29, 2012

Not to mention some words are normally used every day in some countries, and are extremely vulgar in others.

7. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Connoisseur

Aug 29, 2012

In my class last year, I did have one parent who did not speak English. We also have two billingual classes so they do send home notes in Spanish. If it's important stuff about field trips i usually send home one of the letters from one of them. If it's just about general stuff that pertains to my class only I would only send home an English version. However I told the student that if Mom had any questions she could come ask me anytime. All of her kids spoke English anyway so they could translate for her. Even when we did parent conferences one of her other kids came and helped us commmunicate.

8. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Aug 29, 2012

McGraw-Hill's Spanish for Educators is a great resource, by the way.

9. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Aug 29, 2012

I only send things home in English. I do not think we should have to send anything home in a translated language, nor should we out of convenience.