Spanish songs?

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by Joyride, May 10, 2007.

1. Joyride

Joyride Comrade

May 10, 2007

Can anyone recommend a good cd with children's songs in Spanish, or a good website to get some lyrics? I did a search, but a lot of the websites that came up were junk.

Also, what are your opinions on a teacher speaking "poor" Spanish to a 2-year-old who knows no English, but is very verbal in Spanish? Could my mistakes be detrimental to her language development?

3. Joyride

Joyride Comrade

May 14, 2007

Is there a way to move this to another forum? Maybe General Education?

4. weno88

weno88 Companion

May 15, 2007

I haven't found any cds for children that I like so far.

I think with a two-year-old I would probably stick to English since they will have an easier time picking it up. You might slip in a few "easy" words here and there and rely on lots of visual cues to help her.
    Depending on how "poor" :) the Spanish is she may not understand. Adults tend to have a sympathetic ear and understand non-native speakers despite their mistakes... young children may not.
    I'm by no means an expert, though!

5. Chokita

Chokita Comrade

May 15, 2007

The only songs in Spanish I can think of right now are songs about days of the week and about months of the year, they're very simple and you can first sing them in English and then in Spanish. You can also find lyrics to the Itsy-bitsy spider in Spanish (the music is the same).

6. Joyride

Joyride Comrade

May 15, 2007

Thanks to both of you. She does understand me when I use Spanish, but I'm pretty sure I leave out a word or use the wrong tense sometimes. Ha ha. I'll keep searching for the lyrics :)

7. bethechange

bethechange Comrade

May 21, 2007

Dr. Jean has a fabulous CD with all songs in Spanish and English. They are slow, uncomplicated, and easy to learn. It's called Ole, Ole, Ole, I think.

Also, regarding the speaking of imperfect Spanish to a 2-year-old...I'd do it. I run into this a lot in my job and I speak Spanish to children all the time. By no means does it replace the English and I also use a ton of pictures and visual symbols, but I think it is worth it if using Spanish gives the kids a way to understand you, especially a 2-year-old. Research shows kids who have a strong base in their native language acquire a second more rapidly and fluently.

8. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

May 21, 2007

OHHH nooo album titles for you today... just a GREAT anecdote that goes with using your 'best spanish'....
    A boy had a sore throat one day, left early and returned the next day. I asked.. esta mejor hoy?, tu tiene un dolor en tu culo?!

OK, thought you would get a kick out of that one... How about this one, when this child wouldnt eat the lunch meal of shrimp and I asked him... Porque tu no comidar, mariposas es tu favorito!

9. Joyride

Joyride Comrade

May 21, 2007

Ha ha ha! You served shrimp? I wouldn't have eaten that either. :)

10. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

May 22, 2007

yeah, but mariposas is BUTTERFLIES!!
    and NECK is not CULO its CUELLO (kweyo)

11. Joyride

Joyride Comrade

May 22, 2007

Nicely done ;) lol

12. weno88

weno88 Companion

May 23, 2007

LOL Mommaruthie!

13. Joyride

Joyride Comrade

May 25, 2007

BTW I pointed out some mariposas in a story today, thanks to you. :) Otherwise I definitely would not have remembered that word.

There's an assistant in our center who likes to say things like "Sit-te!", which she thinks means "sit down". lol... missing a few syllables there...

14. phia

phia New Member

Jun 1, 2007

I'm laughing hysterically because I know what culo (slang) means. I'm wondering if you said it to an adolescent, because they probably would have died as well.

15. hdmeza

hdmeza Companion

Jun 15, 2007

I am not the best source but I worked with Spanish speaking toddlers and their families for 2 1/2 years and I don't officially speak Spanish.

The Dr. Jean CD is good, also look for the artist Tatiana she sings childrens songs, but they are styled to popular music so my children were always more receptive to them than the kiddie songs.

As far as what you say, just do your best. Children should be tuaght 60% in their native tongue for the first year of schooling (no matter the age) so even though your grammar and pronounciation may not be all that, try, you will be amazed how much you learn.

After about 1 year I was able to hold a brief conversation with my parents 9though not neccesarily in the proper grammar) and by the end of the second year I only needed the translator to clarify or help me find the right way to say something ( though i did not hanlde conversations that were sensitive in nature so as not to say something offending)

The children will understand you, just as they understand their peers and sblings who have not yet learnind proper grammar either, just reinforce with English and visuals and you should be fine.

16. aima.tj

aima.tj New Member

Jun 15, 2007

hello i`m a mexican teacher. i would recomend stickin to english, so you wont confuse him!!!!!
    Tatiana is kind of old now ages... i have a few cds... and if you wanto i can send it toy ou via emaill... ok let me now.... bye

17. Joyride

Joyride Comrade

Jun 16, 2007

Thanks hdmeza. I like the idea of more "pop" style music.. I found a website with samples of many different cds, and some of the performers are just :rolleyes:. So much of the music is so over-produced that the kids probably wouldn't learn the words anyway lol. I will check out Tatiana

18. Sterlingrio

Sterlingrio Rookie

Jul 4, 2007

Drats, I had found this one website of Spanish/French/English-- very good songs-- I could tell they were excellent and easy to understand, and educationally appropriate as one of my Spanish speaking students, with severe cog and physical disabilties, began to smile when I played ond of the sample spanish song-- he rarely smiles unless he really likes something that switches on his brain-- repetition of song phrases is one of the things that turns on his brain and turns out his smile-- and this website with the Spanish/English music was like that.

I think the lady's name was yadee? I'll try to look for it again.

19. Sterlingrio

Sterlingrio Rookie

Jul 4, 2007

Yeah, Actually I think children have a more sympathetic ear than adults. Or at least a better sense of humor about it-- as children remember they made the same mistakes too in learning to speak another language.

I understand wanting to pair some Spanish with English, or bringing in Spanish resources-- 1) it motivates the students as it's not at a frustrational level of teaching. 2) if you can understand the lyrics or translate them into English you can pair what you know in English with what the student knows in Spanish. I.e. I have student who's family taught her the spanish word for "here"- (she was throwing things and we were working on her handing things)-- me having limited Spanish skills knew "den" was "here" so I had to tell everyone else to just say "here" when she says "den"-- she's still not saying here (due to other disabilties), but at least she knows what to do when we tell her "here" and hand her something.

I don't think it's confusing- I think it adds to their vocabulary once they clear and organize their language thoughts.

For clarification- doesn't research suggest on bilingual students that they actually have a larger vocabulary than monolingual students (same aged peers). It also becomes easier for a bilingual student to learn a 3rd language partly because of their larger vocabulary base. Remember that just becuase a Spanish speaking student may not know English vocabulary that an English speaker uses, doesn't mean they don't know the defination of the word, or know that vocabulary word in Spanish-- it's just that they have not made the connection of known Spanish word to it's uknown English counterpart. As teachers, we sometimes still need to make those connections, and if we know the Spanish word to our English vocab. word, I don't think it hurts to tell the student in order to make that connection-- and that might mean you actually say the Spanish word paired with the English word.

20. Joyride

Joyride Comrade

Jul 5, 2007

Thanks, that's true. "Den"? I'm thinking that's a command meaning "you, give that to me", although it could be just a different dialect or something I'm not familiar with. Ah well.. my translating skills are being called on more often now, since no else in our school knows how to say more than "hola" and "adios".