Spanish CSET V Test Resources

Discussion in 'Single Subject Tests' started by AnaA, May 6, 2017.

1. Haylo

Haylo Rookie

Aug 6, 2017

Thank you very much I bought the harvest of the empire book but I'm more visual learner so I'll look for video documentary too. I will also buy that other book. Did you pass that test subset v? How many times did it take you? I'm just feeling bummed that I'm so knowledgeable but this section makes me feel as a failure because I grew up in Mexican culture. I know it's not true but when I see the do not pass it made me feel really bad. Thank you got taking the time and replying.

2. AnaA

AnaA Rookie

Aug 6, 2017

I'm right there with you. I failed Subtest V twice, and I'm taking it for the third time this Saturday. It's very frustrating I know exactly how you feel. First time I scored 4 on history/geography and scored 1 on sociopolitical/cultural. Second time I scored 3 on history/geography and 2 on sociopolitical/cultural. So both times I almost passed (actually did a little worse the second time).

3. Haylo

Haylo Rookie

Aug 6, 2017

I wish you luck. I hope you pass it this time. I think I studied to broad and not enough on situations or examples. I watched many videos. Watch on pbs foreigners in their own land. They will help out a little more. Let me know how it goes. I'll try to find that book u mentioned. Thank you so much. It's frustrating because I've been teaching 13 years. I'm always the teacher who gets the new comers, low eld, behavior, and yet I'm not quplifted until I pass this test to teach Spanish. As if I'm going to teach these poor elementary students about sacrifices, decapitated rituals, etc. Anyways good luck. Study indeginous tribes.

4. amcibo

amcibo New Member

Oct 10, 2017

Hola! Have you guys been able to pass the test? I have taken it 4 times with no luck :( I purchased the books suggested and read Harvest of Empire (but now I am watching the documentary--thanks for the suggestion!! From what you both wrote above, I am in the same position--I do well on Geography and History and poorly on the sociocultural and sociopolitical pieces. Thanks!

5. Haylo

Haylo Rookie

Oct 10, 2017

Hello I am same boat. Where did u find documentary and is it of the harvest of the Empire ? I bought the book but with my job and 3 kids I honestly have no time to read. I really need any help and advice. I haven't passed 2 times and I feel it's the sociocultural that gets me confused.

6. amcibo

amcibo New Member

Oct 10, 2017

I found it on youtube! The whole movie is there and they have a few clips from it as well when you need a refresher or so. I am hoping that will make a difference. This test is brutal!

7. Oct 20, 2017

I've taken CSET Subtest V twice and failed. The second time around I did some research and bought the Harvest of Empire as an audio book (I have a long commute so figure I can get through the book quick) so I listened to it twice. I got a lower score! I do think the book helped but I did switch some of my answers. I just receive my test results and that's the only test that I am missing to get my bilingual credential. I am also a native Spanish speaker but I felt the test asked a lot about Mexican culture so that's where I'm at. Any suggestions?

8. FranCheska

FranCheska Guest

Jun 21, 2018

AnaA, did you pass CSET V? I am also having trouble passing it, and I am really concerned.

9. Queen37

Queen37 New Member

Apr 22, 2019

Hello everyone, I am new to this forum. I am trying to get a BCLAD, but have not been able to pass World Languages Subtest 4. Can someone recommend study materials? Please?

10. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 22, 2019

Welcome to A to Z, Queen37.

You'd learn the most by making your own study materials: find a term in the pdf of the subtest description that you don't know, copy-paste it into your favorite browser, hit GO, and do feel free to go as far as page 3 of the results. Wikipedia is definitely your friend here. After a while, you're likely to find that these searches tend to pop up the same sites: those, you might be able to search directly.

Most of what is in World Languages IV is also covered by CTEL, except for the emphasis on bilingualism. If you're within striking distance of a university with a credential program, try book-browsing in the library or at the bookstore: in the bookstore (if it isn't SDSU), find the textbook section, then the education shelves, and look for textbooks for the courses on cultural, linguistic, and academic diversity. Flip through them till you find the one that feeds your gaps the best while irritating you the least.

However you study, pay attention to how the topics and terms connect with each other.

11. Queen37

Queen37 New Member

Apr 22, 2019

Thank

12. Queen37

Queen37 New Member

Apr 22, 2019

Thank you! However, what I need to pass is not subtest V, I need Subtest IV.

13. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 23, 2019

World Language Subtest IV is the same for all languages. According to the subtest description (http://www.ctcexams.nesinc.com/content/docs/CSET_Prep/CS_LOTETestIV_SMR.pdf), Subtest IV's domains are (1) bilingualism and bilingual education, (2) intercultural communication, and (3) instruction and assessment. CLAD coursework covers a good deal of that terrain, and that's why I suggested CLAD texts as a resource.

Did you mean to ask about Subtest V? In languages for which a Subtest V exists, it covers that language's culture and history. The content necessarily varies from language to language. I've made some suggestions for Spanish V earlier in this thread, and so have other A to Z members - though, again, Wikipedia is likely to prove very helpful.

14. maestraDL

maestraDL New Member

Aug 8, 2019

Hello, everyone.
    I just completed writing a study guide for all Spanish CSETs, including IV and V, for San Diego County Office of Education. I took all the tests myself recently, and test V's content was the most surprising. I didn't feel that the test's content matched much what it was supposedly about. I still passed with highest scores and thus feel confident in the tips I can offer, but I admit I felt I had to guess on several questions. One about choosing a specific percentage in a 20th-century migration pattern stands out as one of most random things I've ever seen on a CSET. There were a couple things on the test that, quite simply, no one would know.
    I found this forum when searching for additional practice tests I could link to the SDCOE program. Anything I've come across, like a Quizlet, does not match what I saw on the test.
    You can contact SDCOE about enrolling in our study programs for Subtests IV and V, but I can offer some advice here as well:
    1. Because the test is tied to test IV for a bilingual credential, it focuses on countries who have significant immigrant communities in the U.S. That means you can forget about studying about Spain and South America in-depth.
    2. There was absolutely no Spanish literature on the test. That is all contained in Subtest II.
    3. You need to know your maps of Central America, the Caribbean, and possibly South America.
    4. I broke our study guide into the following sections:
    - The test and general cultural terms (compadrazgo, el voseo, simpatía, convivir, etc.)
    - Names to know (forget literature - think politics and civil rights)
    - Mexican-American history and politics
    - Mexican history and politics
    - Central American history and politics
    - Caribbean history and politics
    - Colonial era history and politics (the only questions I encountered that brought up Spain or South America were in a colonial context)
    For Mexico, Central America, and the Caribbean, concentrate on 20th-century events, especially late 20th-century. The test seems to ask a lot of questions about topics that could be part of our own students' family histories, like civil wars in Central America, communism in Cuba, etc. It was less concerned with distant history that our students' families wouldn't bring to school with them.
    For Mexican-American history and culture, start farther back. Know how U.S. cowboy culture has its roots in Mexico, when Mexico lost territories to the U.S., what kinds of traditions carried on in the U.S. southwest, etc. For the 20th-century, know the roots of the civil rights movements of the 60s: Mexican-American participation in but lack of respect for WWII, Zoot Suit Riot, Lemon Grove Incident, etc.
    Overall, Test V just seemed random at times - quite unfocused. I do wonder if other versions of the randomly-generated test would have more questions about South America or Spain. Again, though, it does make since that they wouldn't be included because those regions don't have much representation in the bilingual communities of the U.S..
    I hope this helps.

15. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 8, 2019

Thanks for an insightful and illuminating first post, MaestraDL, and welcome to A to Z!

That Subtest V in Spanish would focus on aspects of culture and history that are more closely related to the bilingual experience in the United States isn't surprising: there's certainly more than enough such material to draw on.