Spanish club

Discussion in 'General Education' started by riverdance85, Jan 24, 2014.

1. riverdance85

riverdance85 Rookie

Jan 24, 2014

This year, I sponsored Spanish club and at the beginning, had many students that were interested in joining. However, when we had the first meeting, only one student showed. Only the same student showed for the second meeting. At the third meeting (these are once a month, every last Friday of the month by the way), I told the student that due to lack of interest there wouldn't be any more meetings this semester.

What happened? I tried to get the students interested...but could it be that I am a male teacher? I am nice to my students, even when they are difficult. Could it also be the scheduling?

I was talking with another teacher about the subject today and she told me that 'it's not against you, but since we have a new (female, young) teacher, the club membership may pick up this semester.'

I am a young teacher, too... and I try to be enthusiastic. Am I just not the 'type' of teacher that a club may require to lead it? I feel a little bad since I worked pretty hard at preparing for the club and being approachable to the students.

Thanks!

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 24, 2014

Friday meetings are difficult. No one wants to stay at school on a Friday.

Sometimes students are just overextended. They want to be part of something but they just don't have the time to commit to it.

Maybe think about next year and plan out a few fun activities to get students invested from the very beginning.

4. riverdance85

riverdance85 Rookie

Jan 24, 2014

Thanks Caesar!

I forgot to add a few details: the meetings were during second shift lunch. Other clubs, however, still met (even though they also met Fridays and other days of the week).

5. Glühwürmchen

Glühwürmchen Rookie

Jan 24, 2014

I can't imagine that being a guy has anything to do with it.

I agree with everything Caesar said. Try to move it from a Friday if you can.

How well did you advertise? Mention it a lot in class before the meeting ("Don't forget Spanish club after school today! We're doing *really fun activity here!*"). Get the other Spanish teachers to do the same (if there are any).

6. Croissant

Croissant Comrade

Jan 24, 2014

You had one student hooked...a student who didn't seem to mind that he or she was the only member of the club. Seems like a great chance to build a relationship with a kid who might just need a place to belong.

7. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Jan 25, 2014

I would also suggest to not meet Fridays. Do you have it on the morning announcements, or equivalent? Are you making it an actual club, and not just extended Spanish class?

8. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Jan 25, 2014

Wait, wait. Let me get this straight. Your club meets during the 2nd lunch shift on a Friday. How do kids come if they don't have lunch at that time? Our Spanish Club is open to all and all levels of Spanish. I can't see how having a club during one session of lunch would work in our school since we have 4 sections of lunch.

I think you have a series of things working against you, but I highly doubt that your gender is one of them.

9. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Jan 25, 2014

Maybe take a survey about the best time to meet? Offer some kind of incentives to get students to come to the first few meeting then maybe they'll be hooked and want to keep coming on their own.

10. riverdance85

riverdance85 Rookie

Jan 26, 2014

Thank you all for your input. I guess I was over thinking about the gender part.