Spanish CLEP exam/ Rosetta Stone

Discussion in 'General Education' started by gemgirlxoxo, Nov 28, 2014.

1. gemgirlxoxo

gemgirlxoxo Rookie

Nov 28, 2014

I'm going to start taking courses in the spring towards TESOL certification and one of the requirements is to either have 12 credits in a foreign language or pass a CLEP exam. I already have 9 credits in Spanish but the last time i took a Spanish course was 9 years ago so I forgot almost everything except for some basic vocabulary words. Being that I already took elem Spanish 1 and 2 and intermediate Spanish 1, my only options would be to take intermediate Spanish 2 or a Spanish film course. I don't think I can handle intermediate Spanish 2 since it's been so long and although the Spanish film class will satisfy the requirement, I don't feel that I will benefit from it. I was thinking about just buying Rosetta Stone and trying to learn the language and taking the CLEP exam instead. I think that this is probably the better option because I can refresh my Spanish and it will also be much cheaper than paying for another college course. I'm a little worried though about being able to learn enough through Rosetta Stone in order to pass the CLEP exam. Has anyone here used Rosetta Stone and if so how effective do you think it is? Thanks

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 28, 2014

I'm not sure Rosetta Stone is well suited to what you need; by now, you probably don't need much help with pronunciation and all that. And the full version isn't cheap.

Talk to whoever's teaching the Spanish film class. If the class is conducted in Spanish, it will get you speaking, listening, reading, and writing in Spanish, and that's what you need to be doing for CLEP. Following Spanish-language media would also be a good idea. To review grammar, let me recommend Lado a lado by Farrell & Farrell: it's a grammar of English and Spanish, taken construction by construction, in Spanish.

4. cafekarma

cafekarma Rookie

Nov 30, 2014

I have not met anyone yet who successfully used Rosetta Stone to learn a language. I think you would gain far more from an higher-level film course. You would be exposed to some fantastic real-world vocabulary and it would be interesting (We learn better when we aren't bored to tears).

If you decide to test out, one option you have is that you can find a fairly inexpensive Spanish tutor on the website http://italki.com. The sessions are all via Skype. Also, a great way to refresh your grammar and vocabulary is by reading in Spanish. Find an easy contemporary novel and sit down with a dictionary. Reading helped me with my spoken German far better than a year of courses did, and it's so much more enjoyable. Have fun with whatever you decide.

5. gemgirlxoxo

gemgirlxoxo Rookie

Nov 30, 2014

Thanks! I went to Italki.com and can't believe how cheap the tutors are ! I will definitely be using that.

6. gemgirlxoxo

gemgirlxoxo Rookie

Nov 30, 2014

For anyone that's interested, I found a great free app called Duolingo. There are many different languages on there to learn. However, if you didn't have any background knowledge of the language I'm not sure how effective it would be but it seems to be a great refresher.