Spanish C-Set Question

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by 4capulina, Jul 24, 2009.

1. 4capulina

4capulina Rookie

Jul 24, 2009

I am currently studying to take the Spanish C-Set this sept. I am planning on taking subsets 1, 2 & 3. What will this do for me if i pass these three subsets? I know that there are two remaining subsets. What do subsets 4 & 5 mean? I have heard that 1-3 allow you to teach sheltered classes (in spanish) in whatever area you are credentialed to teach in (i am credentialed in social studies, so i could teach that)... I've heard that subsets 4-5 (coupled with 1-3) allow you to teach Spanish classes to english speakers. Anyways, i just wanted to see what everyone thought about this. I am pretty confused about this... thanks to all who read this.... :thumb:

3. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Jul 24, 2009

Passing CSET: LOTE Spanish subtests 1, 2, and 3 will allow you to add a Spanish Authorization to your credential. It will allow you to teach Spanish.

Passing CSET: LOTE Spanish subtests 3, 4 and 5 will allow you to add a Bilingual Authorization to your credential. It will allow you to deliver content in Spanish and to do English language development in Spanish.

Sheltered instruction is done in English. It is also referred to as Specially Designed Academic Instruction in English (SDAIE). All you need for this is your English Learner authorization which is part of your SB2042 credential if you got your credential recently or your CLAD certificate.

4. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 24, 2009

I'll echo Malcolm: if your goal is to teach Spanish, all you need is the three subtests that focus on Spanish language, literature, and culture.

5. 4capulina

4capulina Rookie

Jul 24, 2009

Nice... thanks y'all. Which series of tests are more difficult? subtests 1-3 or 4 & 5? Subset 1-3 focuses on spanish basics & history and culture (which i understand pretty well, since i'm a history major)... but what about 4&5? What does that cover? I would assume it covers more advanced spanish stuff (grammar, rules, etc) ... but i just wanted to know. I really have a passion for teaching span, i lived in guatemala for 4 months last year & i'm going back this year to language school to hone my skills. Thanks for all the help,
    -4capulina

6. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 24, 2009

I don't know that it's a matter of difference in difficulty so much as it is difference in material. The first three subtests require you to know Spanish grammar, literature, and culture, plus general linguistics, deeply enough to make sense of the language to an English-speaking audience. The last two subtests - which, again, are for those who seek certification as bilingual educators - require you to know principles of the acquisition of English plus the elements of both English and Spanish that make each tough to learn plus how to teach in both bilingual and immersion contexts plus the cultural and other factors behind problems in language contact and language acquisition - so Subtest V takes a somewhat different tack toward the cultural issues than does Subtest II.

7. 4capulina

4capulina Rookie

Jul 31, 2009

okay... thanks alot for the advice... I am currently getting ready to take the Subtest =1,2&3 CSET in september. I have the XAM Spanish 145, 146 & 147 study guide.... If anybody has any other ideas... feel free to let me know... thanks...
    -4Capulina

8. 4capulina

4capulina Rookie

Aug 12, 2009

Cool... I have been reading about these types of certifications and am coming to the conclusion that if i pass all 5 of these subsets i will earn a BCLAD. Is that true? I have heard that having a BCLAD is very important b/c a school that hires me could say that they have BCLAD employees on staff (which makes the school & district look good).... thanks for all the help... I really appreciate it. :thumb:

9. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 12, 2009

Doublecheck this with your local county office of ed, but, yes: sounds promising, 4capulina.