Space Program

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Ross, Nov 24, 2009.

1. Ross

Ross Comrade

Nov 24, 2009

I just returned from a trip to the Kennedy Space Center and I feel rejuvenated. I came away from there with a renewed enthusiasm to bring into the classroom the excitement of the manned and unmanned exploration projects.

3. Blkjacq

Blkjacq Companion

Nov 24, 2009

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 25, 2009

Post a thread on Space Camp-- was it kc who went last summer???

I agree though, Cape Canaveral is amazing!!

5. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Nov 25, 2009

Ross, what a great opportunity!!! Getting out of the classroom and seeing what's going on in the outside world is rejuvenating. Hope you took lots of pictures, and be sure to frame a couple of your favorites to have in your classroom to look at for those days when you need your spirit lifted.

6. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Nov 25, 2009

Alice, it was kc who went. She's my friend on FB and she posted a lot of great pictures there.

7. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Nov 25, 2009

I also did the Honeywell Space camp and it was just an awesome experience. You need to be a middle level (upper elem to middle) teacher in science or math. Your enthusiasm would really take fire!

8. Blkjacq

Blkjacq Companion

Nov 25, 2009

I went last summer too. Anyone go in Week #2?

9. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Nov 25, 2009

Bogart went also. It was AWESOME! I would be applying for advanced, if it wasn't for being pregnant. Next summer!

10. Ross

Ross Comrade

Nov 25, 2009

One of the many highlights was an opportunity to listen to a presentation on the space program by astronaut Winston Scott. After-wards, he and I talked about the need to get the students enthusiastic about space exploration because one of the consequences is an expanding economy due to job creation. We need to do a better job about motivating students to want to excel in all subject areas.

He has an incredible background that takes him from poverty as a youngster, to the ups and downs of high school, a degree in music, Navy fighter pilot, astronaut, and a university dean and vice president.

What an example to show the students the possibilities that lay before them!

I now have his signed book which I can read excerpts to the students along with showing them exciting pictures.

11. ddh2116

ddh2116 Rookie

Nov 26, 2009

I just checked out the Space Camp's website and it looks like a great summer opportunity for teachers to consider! I was just curious as to whether or not the program offered professional development points.

12. Blkjacq

Blkjacq Companion

Nov 26, 2009

They do. Everyone got the certificate for 45 clock hours (might have been 40...). You could pay $225 for 3 hours of university credit, but that was optional. I didn't do it because 3 hours - 45 clock hours in my district, so there was no need.

Definately apply!