sp.ed and higly qualified????

Discussion in 'Special Education Archives' started by msm123, Jun 16, 2006.

1. msm123

msm123 Rookie

Jun 16, 2006

:confused: I was wondering if anyone knows how a special ed. teacher becomes highly qualified to teach literacy/english in middle school in New Jersey. I spoke to the sp.ed supervisor in my district and she said she thinks 15 credits or taking the praxis. I was wondering if anyone new. Thanks:p

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 16, 2006

I would expect the state department of education Web site would say, or would tell you who to contact to find out. If that doesn't work, try contacting the school of education/teacher's college at the nearest university.

4. wvsasha

wvsasha Companion

Jun 17, 2006

Does anyone else find it ridiculous and somewhat self-defeating of NCLB that each state can define what "highly qualified" means for sp.ed?

Example: WV - you must be certified in each subject area you teach if you are a resource room educator. Master's degree in sp.ed. means nothing. Move to MD - that same master's degree gets you "highly qualified". Go figure.

5. shadowrose45

shadowrose45 Rookie

Jun 22, 2006

In Virginia you're 'higly qualified' if you take and pass a seminar (usually summer institutes)

6. Love2shop

Love2shop Rookie

Jun 23, 2006

Hi I am a special ed teacher with a TOH Certification and a MA in Special Education & I had to take the praxis for general knowledge
    k-8 to become Highly Qualified in New Jersey. Good Luck...

7. Ghost

Ghost Habitué

Jun 24, 2006

In Florida I had to go through a check list with the principal....I needed 100 pts and 50 were for so many years of good evaluations and the other 50 was for college credit.

Here in Indiana it's the same for the college credit, but you get points for each IEP you've written.