Southern California Fires

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by scmom, May 14, 2014.

1. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

May 14, 2014

Keep us in your thoughts and prayers again. 7 or 8 active fires in our area. All schools cancelled. Homes already lost.

It was 103 degrees at our school this morning with raging winds. We hardly got any rain this winter, and it has been the hottest May on record. This is just the start of a scary fire season.

My husband is busy with animal rescue, but his real county job just called, requiring all of his department to report. That is the first time that has ever happened in 2 decades, so is worrisome, as well. They may be overreacting because of all the losses in the last fires, but better safe than sorry.

Wish us luck!

3. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 14, 2014

Prayers definitely! A couple weeks ago, there was a fire pretty close to my parents & I. Some schools were closed, many had to evacuate their homes. We were almost wondering if my parents would have to, but they didn't. If they had to, they would have stayed with me at my place. I live very close to them, but the fire would have to wipe out 1/2 my city for it to reach where I am.

4. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

May 14, 2014

I feel so bad for San Diego. Lots and lots of fires, lots of homes destroyed, several areas evacuated and schools are closed tomorrow. I had lived there for 17 years and we had fires, some really really bad, but I don't remember this many, this bad at the same time. :(

5. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 15, 2014

Prayers to everyone impacted.

6. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 15, 2014

School closings were announced yesterday in areas that aren't actually directly impacted by fire; I suspect that's at least partly by way of conserving electricity and keeping people off the freeways unnecessarily, though guesses about air quality may also have figured into the decisions.

Blessedly, the wind's down, so firefighters should be better able to get a handle on at least some of the blazes.

7. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 15, 2014

Prayers being said!

8. Sierra

Sierra New Member

May 15, 2014

Prayers sent

9. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

May 15, 2014

Prayers sent.