Southern CA job seekers

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Christinak6, Jan 14, 2009.

1. Christinak6

Christinak6 Rookie

Jan 14, 2009

I haven't been on the forum for a long time, but for those that live in southern CA is there anyone that is just really frustrated or are getting jobs for the 2009/2010 school year? Should I be hopeful or what?

3. jadej

jadej Rookie

Jan 15, 2009

The job market all just stinks. I have a friend in Texas trying to get a teaching job. She spent two years in Korea teaching English and is now back. She has her certification, but can't seem to find any school to give her break. I'm not sure if it's because she doesn't have experience in America (she's not Asian).

4. modgirl

modgirl Rookie

Jan 15, 2009

me too! i'm currently subbing & i dont know if i have a chance or what the outlook is.....i dont know what i should do!

5. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Jan 15, 2009

Yes, very frustrated. In fact, I'm considering going to Fairfax Virginia next month for a job fair I was invited to. Yes, VA! SoCal is my home, but I'm beyond discouraged. The state is talking about not even giving us our tax refunds this year, that's how bad it is. I always believe in having faith, in never giving up, and I'm wondering if these truly means relocating. A lot of questions right now. Hang in there, I KNOW how you feel Christinak6!

6. Suburban Gal

Suburban Gal (formerly Elizabeth) Banned

Jan 15, 2009

Aye. It stinks no matter where you are.

I also have a friend in TX looking for a teaching job. She's been doing as much substitute teaching as she can, both per diem and long-term, as she searches. While she's not certified yet, she's allowed to pick up something with the understanding that she WILL, in time, finish her certification. (I don't know how many more classes she has left, but I do know she's close to finishing.) I believe they're allowing her to do this because, in part, she's a secondary major with a Science endorsement. And, as you know, they tend to hurt for people with scientific backgrounds.

I keep reassuring my friend that she'll eventually land something, but given the way the job market currently is it's hard to keep spirits up sometimes.

7. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

Jan 17, 2009

I am looking too. I will sub next year if I cannot find anything and that will be with private agencies not school districts.