South Floridians with NO-SEE-UM (the bugs) experience--- HELP

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by chicagoturtle, Aug 13, 2008.

1. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Aug 13, 2008

Okay so I lived in Florida from birth - 18. (10 years ago--wow I'm getting old).

Anyway-

I was back home with the fam this past weekend. I ran a 5K with my dad "in the woods" I think we were at Birch State Park- Anyway - we got there and we were attacked by bugs- which initially stung- but then once you slapped them off- they seemed to leave no trace... Fast forward to yesterday I woke up with bug bites all over- and today more came out. They itch like CRAZY. Unfortunately, I saw the dermatalogist and my primary doc earlier today and they weren't as bad then.

Anyway- is this typical or maybe these bugs are something else?
    My dad also got bit and doesn't have the marks. I have a superwierd immune system and superwierd allergic reactions. Man-0-War or Jellyfish sting when I was 11 landed me nearly in the hospital and out of school for a week with several shots of benydryll.

Oh and now I have a fever and sore throat- but I think that maybe more related to the fact that I sat next to someone who was mega sick on the plane on the way home on Saturday.

So anyway is this typical of these buggers and what do you do about it?

I have some exzema cream I've been applying- but it only provides less than an hour of relief. I think I am all out of benydryll capsules.

3. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Aug 13, 2008

Do you think they were chiggers?

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/001333.htm

One thing my dermatologist recommended because I have itching issues is Aveeno Cooling Sensations or something like that. It has menthol in it which kind of deadens your itch detectors in your skin. It feels really good too. I can't find mine now and I am going through withdrawl. ::itches::

4. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Aug 13, 2008

Hmm I've had chiggers before and that didn't cross my mind- the bites somewhat look like that actually, but... I actually saw the bugs on me and I don't remember if you can see chiggers.

I've only gotten Chiggers in the NC mountains- not sure if they are in Florida.

Off to google.

5. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Aug 13, 2008

See if your doc will prescribe Protopic - it helped with an itch I had that nothing else would help. Get more Benadryl! Try Hydrocortisone cream. Also please let your doc know about the sore throat and fever - you might need antibiotics. Good luck!

6. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Aug 13, 2008

Yeah I think I may walk up to Staples to see if they have the glue back and Walgreens is right next door. It is only 1/2 a mile away. I have prescription Hydrocortizone. Went to the doc yesterday. She did a strep test. Actually, the throat feels better at the moment- but I still have a fever. I just feel tired and lazy. The itch feels better right now- but it seems to come and go. It was just weird that the bites showed up 2 days later.

7. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Aug 13, 2008

It is very weird that the bites and fever/sore throat showed up together. I don't think it is coincidence.

8. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Aug 13, 2008

Except I was on an airplane with some lady that was coughing and hacking and sneezing all over me. (Though I haven't been coughing and sneezing either).

My immune system is kinda weird. We'll see what the day brings. I should get my strep results on Friday- but I never get strep.

The fever is low- like 99.3 - 99.4, but my normal temp is 97.3 and I never get fevers. This has been since Monday evening. But... my dad just called and my sister who I saw a few times over the time I was in FL also has a fever, though she just had the menengitis vaccine yesterday. Hmm.

9. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Aug 13, 2008

I've gotten chiggers in southern Florida before at a mini golf course.

10. Ghost

Ghost Habitué

Aug 13, 2008

You can see chiggers....look like fleas to me. I don't know if they fly though. I got them all the time as a kid and rolled around in the grass. Mom used to put a dab of nailpolish over the welt. She said it would cover the airhole and it couldn't breathe (chiggers are parasitic). I don't know about that, but it always worked.

11. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Aug 13, 2008

Yeah I don't think they were chiggers- they didn't look like them when I googled them. These were minute, pencil thin black bugs.

The itch is better- I didn't make it out to Walgreens. Didn't really leave the bedroom all day. Anyway the fever is worse, and I took advil. This stinks.

I find out the strep results on Friday. I guess if I still have a fever then - I'll maybe go back to my doctors. We'll see what she thinks.