South Florida "snow" day

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by mmswm, Aug 17, 2008.

1. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Aug 17, 2008

They've delayed the start of school by two days because of T.S. Fay. JOY!!! Not really. We really shouldn't start school until September because of exactly this.

3. Sheila

Sheila Comrade

Aug 17, 2008

I just found out that my county has also delayed the start of school. I am still waiting to hear if I need to go to work tomorrow!

4. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Aug 17, 2008

I think I'd be more worried if I was in Tampa, but, I have a good friend in the NHC, and she's not too concerned. She told me to expect nasty weather, but nothing too severe. Tampa might be a little different. You're much farther west and the longer this thing stays over water the stronger it will get, though my friend still doesn't think it will get over a cat 1.

5. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Aug 17, 2008

I hope both of you stay safe! Enjoy your extra days...:)

6. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Aug 17, 2008

I am watching Fay on the Weather Channel and I am praying for everyone who might be in dangers way.

7. LakeSophie

LakeSophie Comrade

Aug 17, 2008

I'm in Orlando.. we have school tomorrow.. :(:down::(

8. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 17, 2008

I don't think PB County has called off school. I'm in private and the kids don't come until Wed. anyway. Back to school night is tomorrow night and could be very wet and gusty.

9. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Aug 17, 2008

It's looking better and better for the southeastern part of the state, but the midwestern part is getting worse with every forcast update. People need to shift their prayers to the midwest gulf coast. The longer it stays over the very warm gulf waters, the stronger it will get. Better yet, pray that the cuban mountains rip the thing to shreds and prevent it from reforming in the florida straits.

10. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Aug 17, 2008

I'm scared! I've never been through a hurricane yet.

11. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Aug 17, 2008

Don't be that scared, but do be prepared. This one, failing something incredibly unexpected, should be a good "warm up" for you. In all honesty, we get thunderstorms with 80mph gusts on a fairly regular basis. The difference between a TS and a cat 1 storm and those thunderstorms is the area the storm covers and the duration of the storms.

For this storm:
    -make sure any loose objects in your yard are picked up
    -fill the gas tank in your car
    -don't park under a tree if you can avoid it

If you don't already have hurricane supplies (I restock my closet every june) take the opportunity to get those now. The most important things are:
    -at least 3 days worth of drinkable water for each member of your family (including pets)
    -flashlights, battery powered radio/tv, and batteries to power them
    -canned goods/non-perishable foods to get through about 3 days without power.

You shouldn't need the stuff in your hurricane kit for this storm. This one should be more of an annoyance than a problem. With any strong storm, we can be without power for a couple of hours, but the power companies in florida have LOTS of practice bringing the grid back up quickly.