South Carolina Teachers

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by USCgrad, May 23, 2009.

1. USCgrad

USCgrad Companion

May 23, 2009

I am relocating to SC (home finally) this summer and have been looking for a job. As a result, I have been keeping up with the headlines pertaining to the stimulus money.....

first, O.M.G.

also, are there going to be jobs if the money is finally used as intended by the feds?

I was also wondering if any of you know of any jobs currently in the Sumter, Manning, Florence area....

thanks!

3. MsBee

MsBee Devotee

May 23, 2009

There are jobs in Florence. (Lake City)
    South Carolina is seeking energetic, efficacious and compassionate
    teachers—individuals or teams—to teach in the Palmetto Priority Schools (PPS).
    These schools have not met expected progress and will receive priority in the
    delivery and intensity of programs and services designed to provide a rich and
    rigorous education for their students. Many of these schools are offering
    special incentives for teachers to join their teams and are committed to
    providing teachers the mentoring and material resources for success. Both rural
    and urban placements are available.

Education Week ranked South Carolina No. 1 in the nation for improving teacher
    quality for 2003 and 2004 and No. 2 in the nation in 2005 and 2006. We need
    more of the best teachers in the nation and will be reviewing applications from
    your area until July.

For more information, please access the Palmetto Priority Schools link at:
    http://ed.sc.gov/agency/Special-Projects

Send a letter of application and a resume to Dr. Beth Howard at the SC State
    Department of Education, 2611 Forest Drive, Suite 111, Columbia SC 29204,
    chopkins@ed.sc.gov , 803.734.9642 (phone), 803.734.8388 (fax).

4. USCgrad

USCgrad Companion

May 23, 2009

i will check this out...i applied at florence 3 and got a reply that there were no openings for elem....
    '

thanks!

5. MsBee

MsBee Devotee

May 23, 2009

Are you going to the SC Teacher Expo?
    Also what do you know about the stimulus money? Why do you say OMG!! lol

6. USCgrad

USCgrad Companion

May 23, 2009

i am not planning to go to the expo....we do not get there until the 12th...

i was reading through some headlines this morning and it just seems like a big mess. the gov is insistant that his decision is best and the others seem to think their thoughts are better and two separate parties have filed suit....all the while the state will have to repay the money regardless and the schools are suffering and that does not even begin to describe what not taking the money will do to the state's tax base....

just one big mess!! omg!

7. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jun 2, 2009

I hear Richland 1 and Richland 2 in Columbia are hiring and Lexington 1 will have some openings.

Best of luck!

8. SCTeacher23

SCTeacher23 Comrade

Jun 3, 2009

I am in the same boat! I just graduated from college and I'm trying to get an elementary job also but have noticed that there are barely any openings. I am hoping for the Columbia area since that's where I live, but I am still looking at everywhere in the state. It would be great if Richland 1 and 2 are hiring since so far all I've seen from them lately is high school/middle school/special ed jobs!

9. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jun 3, 2009

Don't always go by what is on the website. Most districts have already been interviewing when they put a position online and often a job never makes it to the online status because there is such a pool of qualified applicants to choose from. Lexington One will have openings if the stimulus money comes through. Richland 1 and Richland 2 have openings, but again stimulus is money is weighing heavy on everyone's mind. You need to call the district HR and set up an interview with them. If you get any calls for schools, let me know. I have a lot of friends in all the Columbia area school districts. I may be able to tell you about the school and what they may be looking for in a teacher. Districts have just had contracts turned in so they are now placing teachers within the district that have been displaced, and will very shortly begin the process of hiring for any new positions that they will have. Best of luck to you both! SC is a great place to teach!

10. SCTeacher23

SCTeacher23 Comrade

Jun 4, 2009

Thanks so much.. I didn't know that I had just been looking on the websites and Richland 1 and 2 are my first choices of where I'd like to work. I will definitely do that!

11. ILoveMyCello

ILoveMyCello Companion

Jun 5, 2009

I went to the Expo this weekend....WOW...each line for a booth was 45 minutes long...got one interview out of it two days later, but since they said they would call me today, and I haven't heard anything yet, I guess that's a no:unsure:

12. MsBee

MsBee Devotee

Jun 5, 2009

Do you think it was worth going?

13. ILoveMyCello

ILoveMyCello Companion

Jun 6, 2009

I'm a little jaded due to job fairs :) I heard every table say the same thing...no elementary openings. I think I had an easier time because of my certification in music. From the people I saw, I counted eight music name tags, and two band. I think it's always good interview practice, but it made me realize how many of us are unemployed :crosseyed