South Carolina: Move?

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by Mrs_Goatess, Jul 24, 2006.

1. Mrs_Goatess

Mrs_Goatess Comrade

Jul 24, 2006

I'm in Florida currently. Between the lack of job offers and OUTRAGEOUS real estate, we're considering moving to South Carolina (Particularly the Aiken area) where we have family.

What's the job market like in SC?

I have researched that my licence is transferable from FL to SC. If anyone else has made a FL to SC transition, I'd love to hear about it!

:) :thanks:

3. sweidl

sweidl Rookie

Jul 24, 2006

I don't know anything about South Carolina, but I did want to respond to your comment on having a lack of job offers....I graduated from college in May (in Florida) and many people I know (including myself) got hardly any job offers, and the first job they were offered, they took because they were in fear of nobody else calling them for an interview. It's crazy! All you hear about in Florida is how there is a big teacher shortage. Why aren't recent college grads getting interviews? It doesn't make sense! I know of 3 teacher friends of mine who don't have a job yet. And the new school year starts in 2 weeks!

4. MountainLover

MountainLover Rookie

Jul 25, 2006

South Carolina

Hi! I wanted to put in my voice here...I moved here FROM South Carolina this summer. The job market there is not any better than here and actually is probably worse. Also, the teacher pay is generally not good at all. I believe there are some counties still starting teachers at around $24,000.00. I would say that you should look around different areas of Florida, I did not have trouble finding a job, I think you have to remember that you can't be too picky...so, if you are willing to move to SC why not think about moving to another area of Florida! I think often times when we look for jobs we want to find the right one for us, but that if we think outside of ourselves we can see that no matter where we end up, as teachers, we have a choice to either be a blessing or not for our students. There are plenty of jobs in Florida, they just may not be in the schools we are dying to work for! I can only say this because I have now lived in Pennsylvania and South Carolina...I can promise you that the "lack" of jobs here does not compare to what is going on in other parts of the country. I have never heard of a job fair where they would hire on the spot, which is how I got my job. There were people there from other counties scouting out for those people who did not get offered jobs when they came out of the fair...it was AMAZING. Like a meat market! Good luck with the job search!!!

5. teach4Knsc

teach4Knsc Rookie

Jul 30, 2006

I have to agree, I don't think the job market is any better here. And the pay is not great, either. But I'm not sure how it all compares to other states.
    Family is important, though- that's why we're here! So if that matters most to you, it will work out.

6. teacheragz

teacheragz Rookie

Aug 2, 2006

I'll put my 2 cents in also. I am from SC. Not Aike, but Columbia and haven't lived there in almost 10 years. My family is still there. My husband and I actually moved to FL about 6 years ago LOVE it. I would never go back to SC. There are NO jobs and someone posted about teacher salaries around $24,000. That's about right. I am a first year teacher and I have secured a 6th grade teaching job without much effort. A good school too. I'm in northern FL. And believe it or not my family is preparing to move HERE from SC because of lack of jobs.

Not something I would recommend but good luck.

7. UCF2006

UCF2006 New Member

Aug 3, 2006

I just moved from Orlando (graduated in May) and had I stayed there, would have had a job in an instant. Instead, I moved to North Carolina. We bought an amazing house that we would have never been able to afford in FL (you are so right about the crazy real estate market). I just got hired last week so while I was nervous all summer about being unemployed, it all worked out.

8. Raising3boys

Raising3boys Companion

Aug 3, 2006

Hi, I am in South Carolina right now. We live in the Pee Dee Area.(Not by choice-my husband got transferred here.)The job market here varies for teachers. Some of the districts try to recruit teachers from other states because a lot of teachers don't want to work in struggling schools. Of course with any school district there are great schools and not so great. I was raised in Ohio public school systems and it is world of difference. My own children are in a private school here while I work in the public system because my husband is totally opposed to them going to the public system here. We are ex-military and were appauled when we moved to SC. You have to do what is right for your family and you. If you want a teaching job-you will find one here. You just might not have the school that you would love to be at at first. The last two years, I have worked at a struggling school and this year I transferred to the school I did my student teaching in. I wanted to go back there because it was a great experience. The bottom line-there are jobs here, but it might not be what you want at first. Starting pay is around 24,000. You do have to take into account though cost of living is much cheaper. We lived in Orlando for awhile-before I was teaching though. Title 1 schools are the majority here and they do give you lots of professional development and money to buy lot and lots of books and supplies. Think about it first. I would visit surrounding areas and visit schools before attempting a move. Good luck!

9. djmondi

djmondi Comrade

Aug 3, 2006

I don't know much about South Carolina, but in North Carolina they are always hiring. When I first got hired, I started in January of that year - along with many other teachers. I'm from NY and though I make less there, I always have more money. The taxes on houses are so much better. We had a house in NY that we paid $72,000 and our taxes were $2,000 each year. We are buying one for almost a $100,000 more down there and our taxes won't even be $2,000 each year! Do any other states have reciprocity with your state? I just found out that I never even had to take the NY tests to get my license since I have my NC license.

10. scootie

scootie New Member

Aug 3, 2006

I am a first year teacher in South Carolina and having just researched the job market here, I thought I would give some advice. :) The Aiken County School district (where I went to school) is one of the higher paying school districts. A new teacher with no experience and a bachelor's degree starts at $33,464.00 in Aiken. With a Masters, you would start at $38,529.00. (And not to be biased about my hometown, but Aiken is a great place to live.) Hope this helps! :)

11. Teri104

Teri104 Rookie

Aug 3, 2006

Hi! I am from Ga. but live in S.C. - family. When I first moved here I taught in public. After having my son , we both moved to private. The public schools were not where I felt comfortable sending my children to. Be sure to check the shools out that your children may go to. It is one thing to teach there but, quite another to send your children there. The SC schools get a "report card". That may help also. They use a formula including test scores, attendance, drop-out rates, and other info. from State Department. Good Luck! I love living here!