South Carolina Elementary Schools

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by MNMom07, Jul 31, 2013.

1. MNMom07

MNMom07 New Member

Jul 31, 2013

Hi,

I'm considering a move to SC. From what I have seen online, it seems that the general perception is education in SC is subpar compared to northern states like MN or WI, etc. While this may be true at the state wide level, it sounds like there are certain areas in SC with very good K-12 schools. I don't know what it means very good in a state that sounds like education isn't valued much. Is very good in SC mean comparable to a typical school in the northern states or very good in SC still mean below average nationally.:confused:

I'm looking into Clover, Fort Mill, Tega Cay areas. Are there any teachers here who are knowledgeable about the school systems in these specific areas? If so, your feedback would be greatly appreciated.

I have tried to search online and even called the National Center of Education Research but there is no statistic comparison looking at a particular school against national average or another state.

Thanks!

3. ready2learn

ready2learn Comrade

Jul 31, 2013

All of those areas are very nice areas with very good schools. I don't know the numbers on comparing those schools with schools up north but I would feel comfortable sending my children to any of those areas. I will say about Clover that I do believe parts of the district are better than other parts. The other district (Although I may be wrong I believe that Tega Cay is a part of the Fort Mill school district) has all good schools from what I have heard.

4. Crono91

Crono91 Rookie

Jul 31, 2013

I could have sworn it was perceived that SC and NC were some of the best states to teach in?

Unless, of course, they meant "best" as in it gives a teacher more of a challenge. :lol:

5. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Jul 31, 2013

There have been several threads about teaching in North Carolina. Overwhelmingly, from brief research and the posts about North Carolina, it looks like a pretty horrible place to teach. I will try to link some of those topics so you can judge for your self.

6. EdEd

EdEd Aficionado

Jul 31, 2013

Most districts it will be school by school and classroom by classroom. I'm not knowledgeable about those districts in particular, but I definitely wouldn't stress over southern vs northern schools as you'll have great ones and awful ones in both locations.

Also, I'd definitely advise against looking at test scores (at least more than a little bit), because they can be deceiving and not indicative of how good the school is. It may give you an indication as to whether the school is in a high poverty area, but you can definitely have great schools and teachers with failing test scores, and vice versa. The only real way to know would be to visit though schools, examine the curricula, talk with parents and teachers who have had those particular teachers, etc. Hopefully someone here will be able to chime in, but will probably require some leg work in those particular areas.

7. Dee452

Dee452 Comrade

Jul 31, 2013

In SC it depends on the district. I teach in a district that has Title I schools and we have excellent teachers. It depends on the school climate and the faculty and staff at the school on whether it is a good place to teach.
    Salary wise SC is below other states.
    The areas you are looking at are near Charlotte.
    Go to the SCdepartment of education website and you can look up all of the school districts report cards regarding statewide testing, under education accountability. These may help you in your decision.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2013