south beach diet

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by diggerdeb, Jan 10, 2004.

1. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

May 15, 2004

South Beach

I am on the South Beach diet because I had a baby in January and needed to lose about 15 more pounds. In two weeks (Phase 1) I lost 11 pounds. It was hard at first but the weight loss was worth it!

2. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

May 15, 2004

Dessert

I have been on the diet for 18 days now. I lost 6 pounds. I was shocked as I don't have much to lose. My problem is the dessert craving. I saw somewhere to mix one-two tablespoons of peanut butter with a sugar-free fudgsicle (which is allowed). I have had it several times and it's better than even the Ben and Jerry's low-carb ice cream. I'm sticking with this recipe. Oh yeah, I never lost my sugar craving. What's up with that?

3. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

May 16, 2004

i just started the south beach diet--i only want to loose 10 lbs, does it work?
    jk

4. teacherkasey

teacherkasey Cohort

May 16, 2004

Yes, the diet really works. I thought it was going to be really difficult to give up bread, potatoes, and pasta because I lived on them, but it wasn't. I have been on the diet for around 18 days now and I have lost around 15 pounds. Not only have I lost weight, I feel better... physically and emotionally. I feel much more confident and I have gotten a lot of compliments from friends and co-workers. I can't wait to go home to NJ and see what my family thinks!!!:p

Good luck!!!:D

5. hillsidefogo

hillsidefogo Companion

May 16, 2004

Way to go Teacherkasey! That's great encouragement, did you stay in phase 1 longer than 2 weeks or have you started phase 2?

This is my 7th day and I'm a little disappointed cause I've only lost 3.5 lbs yet. I know it's some but I really hoped to lose more in the first 2 weeks cause I have soooo much to lose, but maybe I'll get a good loss soon.

I've finally got to the point that I'm not very hungry anymore. I can't get sugar free fudgicles here so that recipe is out. But I did find a recipe on another site for 'cookies'. It says to limit to 1 a day.

1 cup of peanut butter, 1 egg beaten, 1 cup of splenda, mix, roll into 20 balls and bake at 350F for 8-10 minutes. I used soynut butter(my daughter is severly allergic to peanuts- bonus- soynut butter has 30% less fat!!) and I added 2 teaspoons of cocoa powder and they are pretty good although you do taste the splenda.

Low fat milk is now allowed in the first phase so I made jello 1-2-3(remember when we were kids?) tonight. It was much better than just plain sugar-free jello. I used 2 tbsp. skim milk powder + almost 1 cup of 1% milk instead of cold water. Then you whip with a mixer until foamy and pour into cups. As it cools it settles into 3 layers, the bottom is the best, kind of like pudding.:p

Wish me luck : I have a girl guide banquet, cake!! and my son's birthday this week-more cake!! I'm going to try my best :rolleyes:

6. teacherkasey

teacherkasey Cohort

May 16, 2004

My weight loss during the first week was also slow and I was disappointed but then the pounds just started coming off. I think it's just that your body has to get all of the "bad" stuff out of your system in the beginning and then you really start to lose.

I cheated atleast 2 or 3 times for dessert on Phase 1 (how could I resist, one of my students gave me some amazing pastries for teachers appreciation week)so I am still on Phase 1. I plan to stay on it for a couple of more days until I go the full 2 weeks without cheating. I am actually incorporating a couple of foods from Phase 2 in slowly and then I will move strictly on to Phase 2. And, I know it's not a good reason:rolleyes: , but I'm going on my first date in 6 and a half years in a couple of weeks and want to feel and look my best;) .

Good luck to you. I am so glad I found this original post and started this diet. It is well worth it when you start to see the results:D !

7. miss karen

miss karen Comrade

May 16, 2004

Hey Gals!!

Just checking in on everyone's progress. Hang in there Dawn. I had almost no loss at first and then on Day 8 I had an 6 lb. loss. Try not to weigh too often, there will also be ups and downs. I am at about 8 lbs lost after 12 days. I stopped on Friday as I knew that my parents would be in and I'd cheat some.... also felt I deserved to!! I ate some P2 foods (cereal and basmati rice) and a few chips. The big no-no was Woody's Pink Grapefruit Vodka Coolers that my doad brought me from Ontario.... can't get them here!! I had all 4 in 2 days but now that they are gone..... I will get back on track this week. My dad also brought me down the 2 SBD books and a guide to foods and their ratings (great to have on hand!!) They were pricey (hard cover though) but well worth it. I'll start reading them this week. My parents noticed the weight loss and found I looked great. My dad is a border line diabetic so he also has to watch what he eats and SBD is similar to the diets he has been suggested.

Wishing you all luck..... we CAN do it!!

:p

Karen

8. Bat

Bat Guest

May 17, 2004

You don't know jack!

If you don't know all about Atkins AND I MEAN ALL ABOUT IT - don't spread rumors and lies. High fats WILL NOT do you any harm if you DON'T INGEST THEM WITH STARCHY CARBS!! High protein and high fats - minimal nuts and berries - is how our ancestors used to live. Starcy carbs only came into existence with the Egyptians - which really wasn't too long ago in the big scheme of things. Don't you hear about people lowering their bad cholesterol, losing weight, feeling great, etc., all by cutting out starcy carbs?? Read some medical research, but don't spread rumors. People are terribly afraid about losing business by people cutting out starcy carbs. Too bad! Fat people are now an epidemic and it's scary. Read Atkins, study the medical journals and don't believe crap! Atkin's works and it IS NOT UNHEALTHY! It's how we as human beings SHOULD be eating.

9. hillsidefogo

hillsidefogo Companion

May 18, 2004

I think I'll choose to ignore that last post. You're right Karen, I did end up losing a couple of more pounds. The store finally got in my zuchinni and asparagus. So I made 'oven roasted veggies' tonight. It was delicious! I did okay at the banquet, only a smidge of cake to say I tasted it.

Son's bday tomorrow, I think I'll have a little slice. One of the teachers at my school may start the diet too so I'll have a staffroom buddy.

Dawn

10. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

May 18, 2004

LOL!!! I think the important thing is that you all have found a healthy way to eat, and it OBVIOUSLY is working because you are seeing results.

I have a tendency to be hypoglycemic when I eat too many refined foods -- my blood sugar drops quickly and I get shaky. If I didn't listen to my body or over exerted myself on a high "bad" carb/high sugar diet, I would pass out. I think everyone experiences a reaction to these types of foods, but mine is more drastic. Because of my reactive hypoglycemia, I have basically grown up craving foods like the south beach diet in order to feel good, but it's hard to find foods that work for me. I am so glad there is this new "craze" -- It will make those foods more available. I am going to get the book so I can have more ideas for recipes and foods to eat. I am glad that people are becoming more conscious of good carbs & healthy foods. I have enjoyed reading this thread! :)

11. teacherkasey

teacherkasey Cohort

May 18, 2004

I tried the fudgesicle and peanut butter thing that was posted by the unregistered user and it was soooo good! Another one of my new favorites is sliced tomatoes with a little bit of olive oil, garlic salt, and a four cheese blend by Kraft. Then I bake them for around 10 minutes until the cheese is melted and browned. It satisfies my craving for pizza... my favorite food... that I have been missing like crazy for the last 3 weeks:D .

12. aalka

aalka Guest

May 19, 2004

I'm on the South Beach Diet, Phase 1. So far, it's going well but it takes a lot of motivation those first two weeks. I'm trying it because my mom has done it for a few months now and has lost over 30 pounds. I'm very proud of her. Besides, I've read the book and it seems like a healthy way to eat, not just a way to lose weight fast. It's a lifestyle change, not a diet. I've spoken with several professionals (dieticians, doctors, etc) and they agree that it is a great way to eat healthy, unlike the Atkins diet.

13. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

May 20, 2004

Re: caffiene is bad! NOT

You're quite wrong regarding caffeine. It does not "depress" your metabolism at all. In fact, it increases metabolic rate, fat release, and fat burning. Caffeine works by stimulating the nervous system and by triggering a process called futile cycling or thermogenesis. Rather than storing food energy as fat, you dissipate it as heat.
    Now, the problem with caffeine according to these diets is that it stimulates the release of insulin. Insulin helps your body use/store glucose(sugar). But I don't see that it is much of a concern since you are avoiding sugar and carbs in these diets. IMHO, the drawback to caffeine intake is that it will make you hungrier, faster.

Regards,PBNJ

14. hillsidefogo

hillsidefogo Companion

May 20, 2004

Hi gals, it's me, Dawn, and I'm about ready to give up. I have been following this diet religiously and this morning after 10 days I have lost just 4.6 lbs. I know on the phase 2 and on a good diet a loss of 2 lbs a week is great but I have been doing everything right and can't see why I'm not losing like everyone else during this strict phase.

At this rate when I get to phase 2 I won't lose any weight! I drink lots of water, have not touched bread, sugar(except for a small piece of my sons b cake), cereal, potatoes, pasta or anything else that I'm not supposed to. Just giving up sweets should have helped me a lot. I don't understand it and I'm getting very frustrated. If I was losing weight like expected I wouldn't mind giving up bread and pasta but I always ate whole grain bread and cereal anyway, so I feel that I've given up good food for nothing.

I don't know, I'm just frustrated I guess, I've lost 5-6 lbs on the 1st week of weight watchers so this seems like a let down. I have been sick and on antibiotics for the full 10 days that I've followed this diet, think that might have something to do with it?

Well, I'll stay on it until 14 dyas are up; Monday, but I hope I see more results.

15. hillsidefogo

hillsidefogo Companion

May 25, 2004

Things are looking up!

Sorry to be such a bummer girls/guys. Things have gotten better, I lost about 9 lbs for the whole 2 weeks. I went away to my parents for the weekend and really stayed on the diet through 2 trips to McDonalds and that is something to celebrate. Their ceasar salad with grilled chicken was delish.

Got the cook book this weekend, some great recipies to try. Hope everyone is doing well.

Dawn

16. hillsidefogo

hillsidefogo Companion

Jun 7, 2004

Did everyone give up??

Hey, what happened to everybody? Did you all give up? I'm still plugging along, I'd love to hear from you guys on how you're doing.
    Dawn

17. miss karen

miss karen Comrade

Jun 13, 2004

Hey there Dawn!! Been so busy here lately that I don't visit as often! I think lots of folks are already on vacation.... lucky them. I am still hanging in there too. Lost about 10 lbs. but have cheated every weekend now!! Hey, gotta live too!! How are you doing? I usually stick to P1 and/or 2 during the week then let go on the weekend. What can I say:D !! Keep me posted!!

Karen

18. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 20, 2004

diabetic

Hey, guys, you should be proud of weight losses like 4 pounds in ten days. I'm being treated for diabetes, just a couple of months now, and if I lost 4 pounds in a month it is cause for celebration. Amanda, I had hypoclycemia for about 20 years or more. I was told it was a type that could 'turn into' diabetes. Of course, I ignored that and, what do you know? It did. Shocking. Anyway, I watched a program on PBS led by a doctor (dermatologist) who spoke on diet and nutrional supplements to reduce wrinkles and aging effects on the skin. His premise is that high-glycemic foods (simple carbs) cause an inflammation response which contributes to skin and all cell aging. His plan is to eat fish or chicken and a complex carb (melons, berries, dark green veggies) along with a bit of olive oil on salad or in the cooking process. Says this will enable you to lose more weight, burn more fat, and rejuvenate your skin - if they are eaten together. He says we should have 3 meals and 2 snacks daily. All should contain each of those 3 components. The protein can be a few cashews or almonds. You could put a bit of peanut butter on apple slices. Anyway, I'm working on this.

I have started a medication to enable my body to use the insulin better and my blood sugar levels have dropped by about 50 points. I don't weigh myself at home. My big treat is the Eskimo Pie brand ice cream bars - no sugar added. The carb count isn't bad and they are sooooo good.

Good luck all. Don't give up if you don't get a quick fix. Think of me doing this forever. Ugggghhhhhh I love my pizza too. (Thanks for the tip on broiled tomatoes.)

19. Laini

Laini Rookie

Jun 20, 2004

Good afternoon. I have been enjoying reading everyone's posts about the South Beach diet. I bought the book yesterday, but have not had time to read it all. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to eat on the first day.. I would like to start tomorrow. Are vegetables/fruits allowed during phase 1? I would like to lose 10lbs. any idea how long it will take?

20. miss karen

miss karen Comrade

Jun 21, 2004

Hi there Laini!!

Good luck on the diet. If you are looking to lose 10lbs., you can actually do so in 2 weeks on Phase One. Remember that this all depends on your starting weight. I was about 155 when I started (at just under 5'4") and lost 10 lbs in the first 2 weeks. If you have less body weight to lose then you may lose slower than that. Check out the links listed in this post and I am sure you'll find some good help and advice there. No fruit (including juice) is allowed in Phase One, to help wean you off the sugar dependancy. Veggies are allowed (check the book for which ones). I basically lived on eggs, ham (lean) nuts, green salad and chicken for the first 2 weeks!

You can do it.... good luck!!

Karen

21. hillsidefogo

hillsidefogo Companion

Jun 26, 2004

Hi Karen and all,
    I've been cheating a little, so many school end functions!! But I have lost 12 lbs. so far. I hope to settle back into phase 1 for a week or so now that school has finally ended!!!. today was my first 'free' day, I hope to walk everyday this summer, Dr just told my it's B.P. pills for me in a mnoth if I don't get my BP down. I figure the end of school has already lowered it a couple of notches!! Hang in there Upsadasiy, it sounds like you are on the right track, hopfully your blood sugar wil continue to improve.
    Dawn

22. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 26, 2004

Oh, thanks, Dawn. I'm hanging in there. I wish I thought I could get off BP meds too. Maybe .... Think I've lost a few more, will know in a couple of weeks. I need to swim every day, but I'm averaging only 3 times a week or so. It has helped knowing that I can go out to eat occasionally and enjoy a bit more variety without overdoing it. Good luck to you.

23. hillsidefogo

hillsidefogo Companion

Jul 8, 2004

Hi Everyone,
    Upsadaisy,I've been wondering how you are doing. I saw the doctor this week(seems I've developed quite an allergy to my kids guinea pigs!!!) and my BP was really good 110/80 so he was pleased. May be the fact that I'm not teaching now or that I've actually managed to walk every day since school closed(even in rain). I'd like to think the walking is doing it cause I do have to go back to school!!

South Beach has not been easy to follow lately although I do try to stay away from cookies, cakes, sugar and white flour. I haven't lost any more but I haven't gained back what I lost so I still have hope. How's everyone doing?

Karen, how's the gardening coming? I have lots growing but the weeding is a pain. My daughter is so excited because she's been chosen to go on a 5 day trip to the francofroum in St. Pierre- she can only get core french here, not immersion, so it will be a challenge for her to try to speak only french for 5 days. I'm excited for her but nervous about her peanut allergy!

Dawn

24. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 8, 2004

Oh, thanks for the interest, Dawn. I am doing pretty well but I'm not sure how much more I have lost. I am going to start a new med which is effective for both blood pressure and cholesterol. My blood pressure med now has to be taken 3X a day and that is a pain. It is on an empty stomach. The cholesterol one is before bed and the blood sugar one is 2X a day with food. So, I am looking forward to consolidating 4 pills into 1 pill, once a day. I bet the walking is what's working for you. Very good! I had to give my dog away (sob, sob) and she was the only reason I walked. I have been swimming but need to do more of it. Food wise, I have only cheated twice. Blood sugar needs to come down a bit more, though. I can't give up because it would be very risky. Good luck to you. (Does your daughter carry an epi pen?)

25. miss karen

miss karen Comrade

Jul 28, 2004

Hey everyone!! Just got back this week from 3 weeks of vacationing with my hubbie and kids. We did some camping and visiting my folks. We had a great time but it was nice to get back home too. My hubbie started back to work on Monday so it is the kids and I for the next 4 weeks! They tend to get bored.... and so do I!! We hope to get a few more camping trips in before we are all back into the routine.

As for the diet... gained a few lbs. but they came right back off when I got home. It really is hard to stay "good" when you are on someone else's routine. Funny story... my husband and I ate white bread with lunch and supper one day while we were away and ended up "starving" about 2 hours later. I haven't felt that in a long time..... guess that there is real truth to SBD!! Anyhow, we went out and got some almonds and peanuts.... ate them and felt full for the rest of the night. Guess my body was telling us something....!!

Dawn.... when does your daughter leave for St. Pierre (and where is that?) I can understand your worry about her peanut allergy. My gardening is going great... lots of weeds this year for some reason. I have been nominated by the city for this year's gardening contest. This will be the 3rd year... I took 2nd place the last 2 years. I do it for myself and it actually bothers me when they nominate me because it make me that much more neurotic about my gardens!! I have had problems with keeping my pond clean, we have had so much sun and the fish just don't keep the algae away fast enough!! What do you grow in your gardens Dawn?

Have a good rest, good luch on SBD and keep in touch!

Karen

26. hillsidefogo

hillsidefogo Companion

Aug 9, 2004

hi Everyone
    I too was on vacation, camping with my hubby and kids, also went to my 25th high school reunion! I also gained a few lbs. but have lost them since I came home. I've been finding it harder to keep on track since the summer. I guess it's because my day is not so structured.

I walked everyday for 28 days then started to slide a little, now I average about 4-5 walks a week. It's working on my BP though, last check-up my doctor was impressed and said if I keep it up I won't need meds!

Hey Karen, seems like we are doing the same things. Your garden sound lovely, I'd love to see it. I try with flowers but I'm not really good with the planning of it. I was lucky this year , the school children now seem to know that I love flowers so they gave me a hanging basket, one of those plastic bag things with beautiful panies in ti and a few flowering shrubs.

But while I was gone it was really hot and dry and a lot of my plants dried up. That's what I've been doing since I got home, weeding and watering. I have carrots, lettuce, tomatoes, beet, peas, beans, potatoes and this year I'm trying zuccini for the first time(South beach staple) and it's growing like crazy.

Sally had a wonderful time in St. Pierre(island about 30 miles south of Newfoundland owned by France) She spoke a lot of french and got to enjoy french culture, they use the Euro so the money was fun for her too. A lot of students from Newfoundland and the rest of Canada go there to the Francoforum, they speak in French the whole time. We also had 6 grade 6 students go for 6 days.

I have to go, Our big Folk Festival is this weekend and so far I'm expecting 10 people with another 6-8 possible.

Dawn

27. janlee

janlee Devotee

Aug 15, 2004

I've decided to begin the diet and am planning to try and stick with the menus listed in the book for Phase 1. I'm wondering, though, if you can eat the same foods for breakfast 3 to 4 days in a row and the same foods for lunch and dinner 3 or 4 days or must you keep changing to the different foods listed. I ask this because many of the recipes serve 4 or more and I don't want to waste the food if it can't be eaten for 3 to 4 days or nights in a row. Also, can the midmorningand midafternoon snacks be eaten for more than 1 one in a row? Thanks for your help.

28. Buffy Anne

Buffy Anne Guest

Sep 29, 2004

Hi Everyone,

I'm new here, and just wanted to join in the conversations. I started the South Beach Diet a little over 2 weeks ago and I have lost 9.5 pounds. I too was a little frustrated at first because I have heard of so many people experiencing dramatic weight loss, and I feel like I haven't really lost as much as I would like. I started at about 152 (I'm 5'6) and would like to get down to about 120, so I still have a ways to go (I'm currently around 143) but so far its been encouraging. And I feel so much better. Has anyone else found they have a lot more energy than they used to?

29. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Sep 29, 2004

I want to lose weight so bad ...but can't seem to get into it (the diet mode) I need to lose 20 pounds. It seems like so much work.

30. janlee

janlee Devotee

Sep 30, 2004

I've been on the diet for approximately 6 weeks. Have I lost weight? Yes and I feel great. I've found the diet very easy to follow. I've lost about 15 pounds and everyone has noticed. The best compliment came from my 82 year old dad. He told my sister that I look fantastic. Boy, when I heard that it really made my day. I take one day at a time. I'm hoping to loose another 10 to 15 pounds. The only drawback... my clothes don't fit. But I can certainly live with that.

31. miss karen

miss karen Comrade

Sep 30, 2004

Hey everyone!! Hang in there... it will work for you but you have to be patient and committed. After that it all comes easily. I havn't lost any more weight but have lost a pant size and the gals at work keep thinking I am losing more and more. I think that after a while the body shape changes too making you look sleeker. I havn't been very "good" this summer and need to get back on track. Too many drinks and chips... big no-no!!

Good luck all and congrats to those of you succeeding!

Karen

32. jsavage

jsavage Guest

Oct 14, 2004

SBDing in Quebec

Hi,

I saw that you tried/trying the SBD diet. How have you found it? Did you end up finding anything here in Laval product wise?

Jennifer.