Sour Grapes?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Teachforlife, Jul 28, 2011.

1. Teachforlife

Teachforlife Rookie

Jul 28, 2011

Hi all, I want to start by giving as brief a background as possible.
    I am 40, and a mid-career changer. 4 1/2 years ago I was laid off from a job as a paralegal at a law firm.
    I ended up teaching kindergarten in August of 2007 at a Christian school and decided to work toward my MEd. I finished my MEd in December, 2010 and I taught k and 5th grade until the past school year. After much thought, my hubby and I felt it was time to get into the local school system.

So here I am, a master's level teacher with 4 years of teaching experience with no job.

The school systems here do not have A LOT of jobs, but I know there are jobs out there.

I have filled out their extensive applications, gone to all the elementary and middle schools, spoken to principals, made phone calls and still nothing.

My husband called me today to tell me how his coworker's daughter just got hired at the local school. Great for her, right? She just graduated from college and this is her first year.

I understand that the difference in pay is a factor, but it is so frustrating to me that I keep hitting brick walls.

I really regret spending all that effort, time, and money just to be a sub. I honestly discourage people who tell me they want to be a teacher. I dont even like complaining about it because I know others are having a hard time too. I am tired of sounding like a cry baby, but that's what I am turning into.

Can someone give me words of wisdom?

3. storyteacher

storyteacher New Member

Jul 28, 2011

I can so relate...mid-career change here too, but am 50. I finished my B.A. in English in 2009 and received Masters in Secondary Ed to become certified. I did my student teaching where I have been subbing for 4 years. Just heard last week that I didn't get either of the 2 middle school English teacher jobs I interviewed for and I can definitely relate to what you're feeling/experiencing.

4. Geauxtee

Geauxtee Comrade

Jul 28, 2011

Sometimes we just need to vent.

Do you know what your husband's coworker's daughter was hired to teach? She might have gotten hired to teach high school math while you are looking at Elementary Ed.

5. MrsCK

MrsCK Companion

Jul 28, 2011

I know it's hard out there! In my job-seeking experience, it is the more experienced teacher that gets the job. Every situation is different. I just see it as everybody needs a job, whether you have 10 years of experience or none. I am right out of college, and I have a husband of 3 years I need to provide for. It will get better! Good luck in your search! My advice would just be to study the interview questions on this forum and get to where you are the best you can be in an interview. :)

6. GAteacher87

GAteacher87 Companion

Jul 29, 2011

I'm very sorry that you are going through this. It's a difficult time right now to get hired, and anyone that does get hired this year should feel very fortunate to have a job. However, (and I hope you don't take this the wrong way), I think that until you don't feel like "sour grapes," you might want to just walk away from conversations with individuals who want to become teachers. Don't discourage them! I don't know exactly what it is that you are saying to them, only what you have described, but I'm concerned because I remember a certain teacher of mine telling my friend (who is about to begin student teaching) about 3 years ago that teaching is a poor profession to enter into. It's a great profession that needs to be improved, and one of the only ways to do this is to get new people that are PASSIONATE and ENERGIZED into the system. Idealistic? Yes, perhaps... but I still believe it. Good luck to you, though. Try to keep your heart optimistic and hopeful, and the right fit WILL come along when it's time.

7. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jul 29, 2011

Well, quite honestly, your experience would be an asset here as would your age. So, do not let those things hinder your thinking. Yes, there are a lot of young, just out of college teachers floating out there. BUT, you have something to offer that they do not. I hope that you are applying to EVERY elementary job within a 30 mile radius of where you live. You cannot get that valuable experience by having a narrow focus. Also, you should copy your cover letter/resume (Minus identifying details) to this board so that we can help you with jazzing it up. I cannot tell you how many posters got input from this group and within a week had calls for interviews. It is obvious that once you get an interview, you are going to take the job from WHOEVER walks in the door with your personality and experience. (That is the way you must think in order to get a job.) A positive attitude, walking your cover letter/resume into schools you are interested in, and having some kind of brochure to "sell" who you are as a teacher is the way to get noticed. THEN, when a position comes up that is unexpected, your name will be the first the P thinks to call! Good luck and know that new postings are happening everyday. You just need to be on the short list!

8. Teachforlife

Teachforlife Rookie

Jul 29, 2011

Thank you all for your responses. I do understand that I need to walk into the schools and speak with the principals. That is something I have done and now I feel like if I go in again, they will think I'm a lunatic. I mean this because every one of them at the time told me they didnt have positions open and dont think they will. But really, I know there are positions because people are being hired every day. I have several friends in different positions with the school system who tell me there are jobs there.
    I am trying to be positive, and yes, I have applied to schools that are up to 45 miles away.
    I know here, one of the school systems wont even tell you if your application and resume are still on file at the board. If asked, they tell you to fill out another application, (which is 14 pages long!) Crazy, huh?
    Anyway, today is a new day and I am just going to continue on my search.

9. xiangnong

xiangnong Companion

Jul 29, 2011

Teachforlife,

There are a lot of openings in the Charlotte area right now--I'm not sure if you are interested in relocating, though. Best of luck!!

10. labar

labar Rookie

Aug 4, 2011

Be able to demonstrate to the principals/administration that you know how to use technology. Send them an email instead of going to see them in person. Seriously, I had 4 interviews this summer without doing a single face-to-face visit with the principals before hand. There is a big push in school systems(around here at least) for 21st Century Learning. This is essentially being able to use a lot of technology in the class room. Aside from my communication skills, I truly believe I got my teaching job this summer because I demonstrated my ability to use technology for communicating with my students (and their parents) along with ample technology in the classroom. The way people communicate through technology today just doesn't always require the face-to-face that might have been more necessary in the past. Just my 2 cent.

11. Teachforlife

Teachforlife Rookie

Aug 5, 2011

I cant relocate to Charlotte because I have a husband and 2 kids. My husband is in his 26th year of his job and will retire in the next few years, so moving away from his job wouldnt be a good idea at all.
    I will do the emails to pricipals around here. I have tried that before and gotten no responses, but it's worth a try since I did that last year.
    Thanks for the ideas and support, it will all work out the way it should, I just need to be patient.