Sounds like high school stuff!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by gacomputers, Mar 15, 2008.

1. gacomputers

gacomputers New Member

Mar 15, 2008

I am a new teacher to the district and early in the school year received a hate-filled note left on my desk by two fellow teachers. It was quite mean-spirited. It dished my abilities as a teacher, went on and detailed what fellow educators thought of me. I was even threatened with physical assault. Since then I have avoided get togethers and I hate to admit it but it has 'crushed' me. I was told recently that I lack self-confidence and though I have tried to 'get over it' it is difficult working in that environment. I know I should have taken it to the administration but I did not at the advice of a senior teacher. I am putting in my resignation to move to a district closer to home and was wondering if I should provide a copy of their letter along with my resignation? I do not want this to happen to another. I also do not want to leave on bad terms. What would you do?

3. blessedhands

blessedhands Comrade

Mar 15, 2008

Before you do all that inform the administrator of what's up....dont take threats likely. No use running from a flame and you might end up in another.

4. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Mar 15, 2008

Wow - that's incredible!! I am so sorry this happened and is happening to you. I am not sure why a senior teacher would advise you ignore a physical threat but I am not sure that I would have. I think you should inform someone - admin, union rep or super. This is not something I would take lightly. I can't believe and I am sorry that you work with such people.

Please don't think that all schools settings are like this. I work in a building that is SO very supportive in every area from teachers to support staff to admin to central office.

Good Luck with your difficult situation and decision

5. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Mar 15, 2008

I would NOT let this go. It is harrassment and should not be taken lightly. I'm so sorry. You have to report this.

6. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Mar 15, 2008

If you want to go to another district anyway, go for it.
    As for the note, you should have taken it to admin right away. It could easily have been from a student couldn't it?? Or if it was from those teachers, admin needed to know a long time ago.

All that is water under the bridge now. So my advice now would be, I think, to get the new job first, then take the note to admin. so they know what has been going on. That way you can leave with a clean slate, but let admin. know the truth after they have given you a good recommendation.

7. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Mar 15, 2008

Sounds like I am overruled, and I have to say I see your point Frizzle.

8. Mrs LC

Mrs LC Comrade

Mar 16, 2008

Did you ever confront the two witches, I mean, teachers? I’m guessing not (I’m not sure I’d be brave enough to, but I’d sure be giving them the cold shoulder!). It really should have been passed on to admin – shame on any senior teacher that advised such an action go unreported.:down:

If you can find a new job and a fresh start, go for it, I think. I don’t know how I’d go, working in an environment that lets colleagues do that to a newbie.

As to attaching a copy of the letter to your letter of resignation? My heart says YES!! but my head says no, that might hurt you more than them. If it was admin at your school that said you lack self-confidence, then I think an interview to discuss just why that is so would be in order, not for spite, but for growth. Then you could present the letter as an explanation, not as a "if I'm going down I'm taking you with me" type thing (I don't mean that you'd mean it that way, but it could be taken like that).

I hope that makes sense, I am actually dumbfounded that such a thing could happen. Rest assured it must be very rare. :hugs:

9. gacomputers

gacomputers New Member

Mar 16, 2008

Your help is much appreciated. Your replies have provided me additional insight into my situation. I was wanting to include a copy of this when I turned in my resignation, as a sort of, "I dont want to continue to work in this hostile environment". I am guessing I should do the two separately. I do wish I had not waited so long but I am an easy going person and I was hoping it would just go away. Again a big learning experience for me. Thank you for all your help. I am relieved this is an isolated incident.:thanks:

10. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Mar 18, 2008

I, like Bonneb, am wondering if it's from students. I think I'd go up to one of the teachers and ask them if they really did leave you a note like that. I wouldn't go to them when they are together, but I think I would have to know.

Just seems so out of place for a teacher to leave something like that in writing.

11. bluelightstar

bluelightstar Companion

Mar 18, 2008

One would expect a teacher to have more respect and common sense, but I've seen teachers that still act like 6-year olds so I wouldn't be TOO surprised.

12. gacomputers

gacomputers New Member

Mar 19, 2008

Sadly enough it was two teachers.. one has tried to apologize but I am finding it difficult to accept an apology that is based upon the fact she is now afraid she will be in trouble. I have found a job in a new district and I am so relieved. I have friends in other districts who have assured me this is indeed rare.

13. kburen

kburen Cohort

Mar 19, 2008

Teacher like this make it very hard to work in that environment! I worked with one who did something very similar my first year. She waited until our other team member (who was my mentor) was out for the day then came barging into my classroom right before the kids got here saying that I didn't do my job, the whole school wondered if I was teaching anything, everyone hated my class because they were out of control and I wouldn't do anything, and that I was looking at not having a job next year and if I wanted one I needed to make changes. As a first year teaching, only having been in the classroom a few months, that floored me...I cried. And....right after that when I took my kids to computer, I went to the principal and discussed it. Turns out she was spouting off of her own opinions...That NO ONE had a problem with me and that I knew of all of the issues that the principal had (which was only classroom management, but she knew I had a tough group and we were working on it). Because of her I asked to switch grades...Turns out she left to go to another county and I stayed in that grade level another year. :) So...from personal experience...I say take it to administration.

14. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Mar 19, 2008

Congrats on the new job - good things happen to good people. Walk away with your head held high and looking forward to new beginnings. :love:

15. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Mar 19, 2008

I have never encountered teachers so childish. I did go to college with a guy who could have been Eddie Haskels twin
    and just as devious. (the bad boy one Leave it To Beaver)

16. teacherstudent1

teacherstudent1 Companion

Mar 19, 2008

Congratulations on your new position!

I think you will find that this kind of behavior is very rare; most teachers I have worked with in the past 25 years have been very supportive. Then again, there are petty and self-absorbed people everywhere, and the field of education is not immune. Try not to take it personally; this is a reflection on their character, not yours.

Good luck in your new job!

17. PowerTeacher

PowerTeacher Comrade

Mar 19, 2008

The fact that a senior teacher advised against reporting it, I am assuming without surprise that it happened may be an insight into the stripe of teachers you are dealing with.

Did the senior teacher feel it was other teachers rather than students?

18. Miss_J

Miss_J Habitué

Mar 20, 2008

I had an issue with two aides that were in and out of my classroom this year. They would constantly tell me about how horrible all of the other teachers are. I am sure they said the same behind my back. I finally went to the principal and they were put on probation. The problem did fade away for awhile, but we are having some new issues now. They are not being rehired for next year because of it and there is a chance they may be fired when we get back from the Spring break.
    My principal was very supportive! I think you should try to do the same before/instead of leaving. Even though it has been awhile, it does not matter. That is WRONG!!!