Sound therapy for Migraines?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by hatima, Aug 22, 2012.

1. hatima

hatima Devotee

Aug 22, 2012

I take a high blood pressure medication to prevent migraines. This is off lable and my blood pressure is excellent, but this off lable usage is "seemingly safe" I have not had ill effects (yet).

I began researching natural migraine treatments. Sometimes I have the aura. But if I miss catching the aura or just do not take the imatrix on time I get a migraine. (The migraines are on the increase because I'm stressing about not having a job, yet).

Anyway I have found video's promoting isochronic and binaural sounds for migraine relief. I really would like to know if anyone has tried this. (There are plenty of "free" videos online, but so far all link to commercial sites, that don't seem to have much research or "reasoning" behind them).

I've tried acupressure which sometimes works and sometimes makes migraines worse. I'd try acupuntrue but freakout at needles...shots are traumatic for me! Just the thought of acupuncture terrifies me!

I do have memory, vision, and concentration issues preseding, during, and after migraines. I don't want to use something that will worsen these effects.

My sister also gets severe migraines (which have been evaluated by a neurologist-she is on heavy duty medication for it). I told her about the sound therapy and she tried a few different ones and it seems to have lessoned her migraines. While I was typing this she listened to several on her phone. They are all soo different in pitch and tone. Some have natural sounds, white noise, other are just hums and beeps. I surprized at how different the sounds are.

So for those who have tried it, or know someone who has tried it, can you please share with my sister and I information about which ones are "true" your experiences? (good and bad).

PMs are okay.

3. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Aug 22, 2012

Isochronic / binaural sounds: there are a lot of them on Youtube, and you don't have to deal with shady websites.
    I've also found a lot of guided meditation, alpha / theta / delta sounds on Youtube, often 1 hour long! I don't know how they would work for migraines, but I guess you can try them out, or you probably already know. Sometimes they're just the actual sounds, but you can also find them mixed with 'white noise', 'pink noise' or waterfall, and other natural sounds.

4. hatima

hatima Devotee

Aug 22, 2012

That sounds like some of the stuff my sister was listening too. White noice instantly makes me sleepy. If the radio starts playing fuzz I have to change the station right away! LOL!

Thank you Linguist!

5. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Aug 22, 2012

I'm not sure I'd like sound therapy. Sound are the last thing I want when I have a migraine. Hatima...yours sounds like mine with the swirls and what not before & during.

I liked to have the muscle between my thumb and index finger rubbed... I asked a massage therapist one time and she said she'd been doing some research and that spot was a collector of "junk" so that's why that spot may help!!!

6. hatima

hatima Devotee

Aug 22, 2012

I've tried that spot between the thumb and index finger. I have a hard time getting it. I use the pressure rubs on the head, which is painful at times. I also sleep with a cold/ice compress when I have a bad migraine.

Earlier this week I had a migraine. I did not catch that I had the aura the day before. I was working on the computer and suddenly could not remember my log in names/passwords for ANYTHING. I had to think really hard to remember the memory of the typing movements. This sort of memory problem (only this bad on computer/technology) is common the day before a migraine.

I tried the a frequency sound for like two minutes earlier and it seemed to help a little (but I'd also taken medicine 30 minutes before--so kinda a draw). Some of those sounds seem like they'd make it worse. Kinda like the sound of tires on the blacktop. I actually turn up the radio (as painful as music is with a migraine) to drown out the road sounds.

7. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Aug 22, 2012

Have you noted what foods you might eat that trigger them? I have noticed now that Milk chocolate, pineapple (sometimes) triggers mine.

8. hatima

hatima Devotee

Aug 22, 2012

No. I haven't noticed a dietary component. I do get them when I stress or have worked a lot on the computer. I do try to avoid fast food, as that does seem to trigger a migraine. I will get a headache if I do not have caffine.

I tried to eliminate MSG for a while, and will buy foods without it whenever I can. However, it is listed as so many things it makes it really difficult. I also avoid aspertaime (Sp) and other sugar substitutes. (they upset my stomach)

9. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Aug 22, 2012

I know if I get on the computer to close to when I have gotten up...that triggers mine as well.

10. hatima

hatima Devotee

Aug 22, 2012

Yep. Between employement stress and working on grad school stuff my migraines increased. (Plus I was skipping medication doses). My doc also has me on 5000 IU of vitamin D daily. My sister's neurologist has her on 5000 IU of vitamin D too.

11. MsG

MsG Companion

Aug 22, 2012

I have chronic migraines - no idea of my triggers, but have tried my share of meds, both prescription and natural. I'm currently taking magnesium - have you tried that? It has many benefits. I can't do sounds or lights, but I do massage therapy every 3 weeks. I also just tried Botox for the first time. So far it seems to be working.

I've also found that Imitrex shots work better for me than the pills do. I can take them even if I miss the "window" and they'll still help, even if they don't take it away, within 15 minutes!

Feel free to message me, I've tried many things over the past 8 years that I have had them. The past 3 have been chronic.

12. hatima

hatima Devotee

Aug 22, 2012

I had a friend on FB just recommmend "oil pulling" to me. Sounds interesting.

13. bros

bros Phenom

Aug 23, 2012

14. bison

bison Habitué

Aug 23, 2012

Headaches when you don't have caffeine are a sign of withdrawal. That means you're physically addicted to caffeine. It might be a good idea (for the sake of your head) to try and gradually wean yourself off. More water, less caffeine!

15. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 23, 2012

I take a blood pressure pill daily for my migraines.

I've found that sometimes when I start to get a migraine that drinking caffeine will help. The only caffeine I drink is my morning coffee. Sometimes it's water that my body wants. I do know that I'm more likely to get a migraine in the afternoon, after lunch. I can't quite figure out what the trigger is. . . too much of something or not enough of something.

16. hatima

hatima Devotee

Aug 23, 2012

Yes. I'm addicted to caffeine. Not as bad as I used to be. I can go with a small bottle (those 16 oz ones) and tea. I have coffee about once a week. I'm much better. I used to drink two litters of soda a day.

I'm better at making sure I stay hydrated.

I did have a withdraw headache on top of a migraine a few weeks ago. I've experienced withdraw headaches before. I knew I had to get rid of it. I made the mistake of overdoing the caffine. I got a venti peppermint mocha frap with one extra shot of expresso. I couldn't even drink a fourth of it. But it got rid of the headache (I've never had caffine make me that gittery)

My sister tried the isochronic/binarual sounds. It helped until she stopped listening. I tried a few earlier. The migraine pain was just starting. It did seem to help.