Sound Sack

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by beginnerteacher, Feb 5, 2011.

1. beginnerteacher

beginnerteacher Rookie

Feb 5, 2011

I just ran across this question on yahoo with a great idea for having children take home a sound sack and the children will bring for example anything that begins with the letter K. This is my first time hearing of this idea and I would love to use it with my Head Start children ages 4 & 5.

Does anyone else have any other suggestions to how this is done or how you used it in your classroom? What was the success from the children and parents?

I would love any ideas on teaching Alphabets and Sounds?

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Feb 5, 2011

Have you ever seen a sound muncher (basically it is a garbage can decorated to look like an animal or person)?

When we present a new letter, we would have kids bring in pictures, toys, objects, whatever that started with the letter. Then, the student would come up, show their object, the other students would say what the object was, then it would go in the sound muncher.

When we finished with the letter and were ready to move on, we would take each object out of the sound muncher and say the name again as we gave it back to the student.

4. EDUK8_ME

EDUK8_ME Cohort

Feb 5, 2011

I have a Sound Muncher. I found a small plastic garbage can (less than 12 in. height) at the dollar store. It has a pedal on the bottom that you push down and the lid flips up. I put pom-pom eyes and nose on it and decorated it with letter stickers. The kids love to feed it magnetic letters.

5. beginnerteacher

beginnerteacher Rookie

Feb 7, 2011

Thanks for the replies and suggestions...I will be looking for a sound muncher!

6. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Feb 7, 2011

You don't have to look for one. Just buy a cheap garbage can with a lid that comes off. And decorate to your taste.

7. 3swirls

3swirls Rookie

Sep 2, 2011

i can remember in 1st grade our teacher used a big mac container and made a sound muncher out of it. "It" would ask for a certain sound and we would put a letter in it and it would gobble it up or spit it out. LOL

8. LvToyFoxTerrier

LvToyFoxTerrier Rookie

Sep 2, 2011

I have my class bring a Show & Tell that starts with the letter we have been studying that week.