Soul Mates

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by JustMe, May 10, 2010.

1. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

May 10, 2010

Do you believe in soul mates, romantic or otherwise?

3. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

May 10, 2010

I believe there are certain people you get along with more than others...but it's just personality. I don't believe in the 1 person made for you thing.

4. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

May 10, 2010

Yes, I do. I'm sitting with mine on the couch!

5. Unbeknownst

Unbeknownst Cohort

May 10, 2010

I have two sides of the story on this one. The first one I believed when I was with my ex, and the one I believe now that I'm with my wife.

My ex
    We were with each other for 3 years. I did not believe in soul mates. She was my third serious girlfriend, and I saw the same pattern in every girl I had ever dated. I made a generalization that all relationships are more or less the same, and the concept of a "soul mate" didn't make sense to me.

My wife
    Then I met my wife. I now completely and totally, irrevocably (and every other adjective you can throw at this sentence) believe in a soul mate. I also have a simple definition of a soulmate:

Soulmate -- The person where you don't have to "settle."

It still amazes me how perfectly synced my wife's characteristics are with what I've wanted in a partner. She is truly everything I've ever wanted, and that hasn't dimished after 2 years of marriage and 3 years of being with each other.

So, my new thought on this question is this: There are many people out there who will "do," but there is only one person out there who completely fits.

(So, in essence, if you don't find your soulmate, it's not like you have a terrible relationship -- you just don't have that overwhelming sense of completeness.)

... this may only make sense to me ... :lol:

6. dogs&teaching

dogs&teaching Comrade

May 10, 2010

I'm not so sure I believe in soul mates. I believe there are people I really click with and others not so much.

7. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

May 10, 2010

Yes, I believe in soul mates. I would (and did) move heaven and earth to be with DH and he did the same for me. I knew the moment I saw him that he was the other part of me.

8. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 10, 2010

I believe in the term to a certain extent. Yes, we can have a soul mate, HOWEVER, that doesn't mean we can't connect or love anyone else just as deeply if we didn't happen to meet the other person. I think the main question is, "HOW OFTEN does a person happen to be at the right place at the right time to meet someone that they truly love & connect with?" After all, we can't be every place at once. Some people it may happen to once, three times, or never in their lifetime.

BTW, if statistics could be done on this subject, I wouldn't be surprised if 50% (or more) of people were NOT married to their soul mates. Not trying to be a pessimist, I'm just saying it wouldn't surprise me.

9. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

May 10, 2010

Interesting! :)

I asked my husband earlier if he believed in soul mates...although we've had this discussion before, I wanted to see if his opinion had changed. He says the idea of a single soul mate rings too far-out, yet he believes God was involved in bringing us together because it all--our meeting and the development of our relationship--just seems too impossible otherwise. He also doesn't think there is another person on this earth, truly, who could communicate with him like I do. I don't know about that...a lot of women are skilled at yelling. Oh, I joke. Anyhow, I don't know if this universe works in that way, but I lean towards the side that it does not. I would love to believe in the concept of soul mates and stars aligning and all of those wonderful things dreams are made of, but if I'm being honest, I don't. I don't think. The only reason I even question it at all is difficult to explain, and so I won't try other than to say it's based on a single moment in time over ten years ago that...spoke to me. And it had to do with my husband, although I didn't actually know him them. It's odd. Never mind.

Not that it matters, mind you...I'm perfectly happy and content, but just spending my time thinking about silly things so I can avoid cleaning this house!

Oh, another question: If you believe in soul mates, do you believe every person at the very least meets their soul mate? Or do some people live their life never so much as passing by the person there were intended to be with?

10. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 10, 2010

At the end of my post above, I had said that some people may never meet THE ONE. It's sad & all, but many times true. A long time friend of my mom's is a retired teacher in her early 70s & she never got married (or had kids). She's travelled to other countries, got involved in many things, etc., etc., etc. I don't even think she's had a lot of BFs in her life. Did she want to be married when she was younger? Definitely! Unfortunately, it just never happened for her & she has said that she wouldn't wish this lonliness on anyone. :(

11. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 10, 2010

Yes I believe in soul mates. Do I believe that soul mates have to be male/female or that they will get married? No. My SIL believes that her soul mate was her dad. I have a friend that I think is my soul mate, but it is not attached with any romantic feelings. We are both happily married to other people.

12. Major

Major Connoisseur

May 10, 2010

Soul mates??? Yes I have one....... and she is sitting on the patio as I type..... probably making up another honey-do list.....:p

13. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

May 10, 2010

Just making sure everyone knows that by "soul mate" I mean that there is a single individual on this entire planet who was created for you... :)

14. smalltowngal

May 10, 2010

then no, I don't believe in soul mates.

15. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

May 10, 2010

Okay, well, in my original post I said romantic or otherwise...but I guess I'm truthfully thinking along the romantic lines. Sorry STG...I've been confused and confusing all day! :)

16. smalltowngal

May 10, 2010

:lol: That's okay, JustMe! It's that time of year!

17. Simba

Simba Comrade

May 10, 2010

I believe the idea of a "soul mate" varies for everyone. I can't imagine if I HAD a "soul mate" and he/she passed away that I couldn't have another "soul mate" in my life. I believe there can be many "soul mates" for every individual. Does that make sense?

I can't imagine I'm supposed to live the rest of my life without that "soul mate" if mine were to pass away. I just don't like to think that way.

Just my 2 cents!

18. TiffanyL

TiffanyL Cohort

May 10, 2010

I grew up with a boy, our families were friends, we dated briefly when we were 15, married other people by the age of 18. Both of us married very difficult, dysfunctional people and lost touch.

As I struggled in my marriage, which was a very abusive marriage, I found myself leaving the bank one day and in came a young man. He had a little boy with him, I had my little daughter with me. He looked me in the eyes, very very deeply. I knew he was what I was looking for, I could tell by his sensitive nature.

I went back home and told my sister that I had just met my soul mate. She reminded me that I was married, of course. Oh yeah.....him, whatever.

Eventually, I got the nerve to leave the horrible man I married and stand on my own two feet. I achieved a bachelors degree and eventually met back up with the boy from my childhood. He too had divorced his wife.

We began to date and I realized that he was everything I'd always been looking for. During one of our "dates" as adults, he informed me that he had "seen me at the bank" several years before but didn't think I recognized him. When he came back out, he had looked for me but I was already gone.

I am a true realist, truly I am. I don't get very gushy, don't get very romantic. Its just not who I am. I have worked extremely hard for everything that I have accomplished in my life. I never would have believed in the soul mate concept but I certainly do now.

We have since raised our 5 children (blended family) and now have a 6th child together who is 9. This man has helped and supported me as I continued my education, became a principal, and raised our family. I would have accomplished none of this without him as my partner, by my side so, yes, I truly do believe in soul mates.

19. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 10, 2010

TiffanyL, wow! That reminds me of a Danielle Steel or Nicholas Sparks novel. :)

20. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

May 11, 2010

I do, but not in a traditional sense. I think you can have more than one, and they don't have to be romantic. But they are someone you just connect with in a rare sort of way.

I think I have 2. My best friend from college is one. I just don't know anyone else who is more like me.

And I now think BF is, too. At first I was skeptical, but we were driving around the other day, being silly, etc., and I just looked to him and realized that I don't think there is a couple more perfect for each other than he and I. When I met him, I didn't get the excited, heart fluttering giddiness that I had gotten with other guys. Instead, I just felt at peace. I felt like I had known this guy my whole life, and that I would continue to know him my whole life, and that I could relax because I didn't have to look anymore. And I can't even explain how well our lives just fit together. (ok, well maybe our personalities. Lives took a little more work, ie me getting a new teaching cert, new job, moving to a new state, buying a house, etc.)

21. TiffanyL

TiffanyL Cohort

May 11, 2010

Ha ha......if you knew me personally, you would know how hilarious that sounds.....my friends and family would crack up at that one!

But it is true that after many trials and tribulations, God sent me someone to teach me about love. Thanks Ms. I. :)

22. Unbeknownst

Unbeknownst Cohort

May 11, 2010

The components of your story sounds similar to mine, which is exactly the reason I believe in a soul mate (i.e., another person created specifically for you).

I also believe that you always have the chance to meet your soul mate, but you have to choose to be with them, meaning you have the ability to not choose them as well.

P.S. I love philosophy, because there's no right answer, so it's impossible to be wrong :)

23. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

May 11, 2010

Tiffany and Un, I love your stories. Thanks for sharing.

24. HMM

HMM Cohort

May 11, 2010

:agreed:

25. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

May 11, 2010

One person just meant for me and no one else?? No, I don't think so. I think most people find someone to love and be with and if it works out, they stay together. I know a lot of unhappy people who are still looking for their 'soulmate'.

26. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 11, 2010

:) Sure thing & I'm glad you found the happiness you've yearned for.

27. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

May 14, 2010

yes, I believe in soul mates. I believe that I am married to mine. I cannot imagine any part of my life or future without him. I know that if anything happened to him, part of me would be destroyed as well. yes, I definitely believe in soul mates.

28. sciencegurl

sciencegurl Companion

May 14, 2010

I absolutely believe in soul mates. I think a previous poster really hit the nail right on the head. Your soulmate is the one person with whom you feel whole. You don't have to make yourself into something else or feel compelled to change who they are. They love you for the essense of you and you do the same for them. When they are apart from you, you feel incomplete and wrong. They truly are your other half.

29. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

May 14, 2010

I truly do feel this way about my husband, absolutely, but I still don't think we were ncessarily destined to find one another, and I don't think it's impossible that there is another person on this planet that would cause me to to feel the same. So while my husband and I have all the markings of soulmates, and I do think our souls are well matched...okay, this is getting too complicated to explain! And it's beginning to sound like I'm missing something or looking for something or someone else and I'm not! :)

30. iinko

iinko Guest

May 16, 2010

soulmates? yeahh. i believe there is someone out there for me :)

31. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

May 16, 2010

I think my late husband and I were soul mates.

And while I have found love since then, it is just not the same.

32. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

May 16, 2010

This made me tear up.

Happy Birthday.

33. Major

Major Connoisseur

May 16, 2010

Major :hugs::hugs: for you, msmullenjr.....

34. smalltowngal

May 16, 2010

:hugs: teacherintexas! And happy bday!

35. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

May 19, 2010

Thanks! I really had a lovely birthday.