SO's Careers....

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Rebecca1122, May 19, 2010.

1. Rebecca1122

Rebecca1122 Comrade

May 19, 2010

So we all know what we do for a living. Is your SO in the same field?

Do you think you could ever hypothetically trade jobs? Would they be good at your or would you be good at theirs?

My BF is in grad school to get his masters and eventually PHd in history. He would like to be a professor. I think I could teach college, and want to do so eventually after some years in the classroom. But not history, education! He would not have the patience for the little kids that I will work with, but I think he could teach high school. He does want to teach after all.

3. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

May 19, 2010

My ex-husband is a network engineer. I could never do his job.

Since my divorce, I've dated a scientist, an architect and a college professor. I could do all but the architect's job, though I would need to acquire the right skills to do the scientist's job.

4. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

May 19, 2010

My dh is also a teacher, but I could never do his job, it's high school math and computer science. I am far from qualified to teach either!

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 19, 2010

Peter is an English teacher. His school is run by the same order of brothers who run mine.

As to switching jobs, we would each need some serious tutoring. But we would fit in well enough to the schools; it's just the content that would be rough.

6. AMK

AMK Aficionado

May 19, 2010

My husband is a mortgage bond trader. No, we would never be able to do one another's jobs

7. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

May 19, 2010

Hubby teaches math. I could do it if I had a chance to review before I taught each day. He could easily teach English.

8. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

May 19, 2010

My husband can barely tolerate hearing me discuss my days! :)

I might be able to do his job, but I doubt it. Not as his career, but he's also a Master Electrician and I certianly couldn't do that...he worked as an electrician prior to his current position while obtaining his bachelor's, and some of the tasks he had to do...so dangerous!

9. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

May 19, 2010

My DH and I aren't even remotely in the same field. He hated school with a passion and got as far away from it as possible when he got out of high school. I've always loved everything about school. I would like to have his career, but I don't have the talent. I'm sure it would also be nice to have people screaming & clapping for you when you worked, too. :clap::up:

He's a professional musician. He does give some lessons, but one-on-one music instruction is a lot different than teaching a classroom full of kids. Mostly he performs with bands and does some studio work. Currently he's not with a single band, but he does fill-in work.

Luchenbach Texas Performance (Lead Guitar)

Settlin' Performance (Bass Guitar)

He also gets to do cool things like have photo shoots and wear leather pants. :lol:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

His career does carry some "cool factor" with my students, however. :cool:

Oh, that's DH on the far left in both photos, by the way. And I apologize for the sucky videography if you try the links. Those are ones I did with my digital camera. I'm no videographer. :blush:

10. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

May 19, 2010

My husband's in the military and works on hydraulics. I think I could do his job, but I wouldn't want to. He seems to think teaching 3rd graders would be really easy. I would love to switch jobs with him for a week (or even one day) and see what he thought after that!

11. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

May 19, 2010

My Wife is the High School English Department Chair two towns over. Of my three children, entering or going to college all plan to be teachers (two history teachers, one elementary or english; she's not sure yet).

12. Blue

Blue Aficionado

May 19, 2010

My husband is great with kids, but he would not be able to stick it out more than a day.

He is in charge of printing at a local community college. If all I had to do was give orders, I could do his job. But, he is a hands on supervisor, and solves problems, so I would realy mess up his department.

13. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

May 19, 2010

My husband's title is Molding Materials Engineering Supervisor. I have no idea what he really does. I am pretty sure it has something to do with engineering materials used in molding, and he supervises the department. :lol: I know he travels to places all over the country and world, and writes CB2's (I don't know what those are, but they have to do with budgets and I "get" to proofread them), and talks on his Blackberry a LOT.

OK, so I kid a little. Basically, the plant he works for makes medical supplies, and he is in charge of the plastics department. They make the vacutainer tubes that suck your blood out when the nurse inserts the needle. They also make cool sucking things that make it possible for nurses not to have to touch human excrements. He used to work on and around the actual machines, but then he went back to college and now he supervises the guys who work on the machines. He likes it other than having to wear dress pants and button downs every day.

No, there is no way I could ever do his job. I can proofread $10.2 million dollar budget requests, but I wouldn't want to be responsible for them!

And he with sixth graders? :rofl:

14. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 20, 2010

My husband is a manager in the fabrication department of a supplier of industrial windows, etc. He has been with the company for over 25 years, so has a knowledge base that I don't have that would make it difficult for me to take over. I would hate sitting behind a desk, dealing with adults all day. He could never do what I do; he wouldn't have the patience to deal with anyone who didn't get it the first time. (He would be okay with, "Open your textbooks to page 49, read the explanation and then complete all of the questions on the next 3 pages".)

15. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

May 20, 2010

My husband is trained as an accountant, he now works on the computer side of corporate accounting. I couldn't do his job, but it sounds like he has fun co-workers.

He wouldn't be interested in my job, he is proud of me for being a teacher, but he could never do it.

16. MuggleBug

MuggleBug Companion

May 20, 2010

DH is in the Navy. He was a submariner (now on shore duty). I suppose now that they're allowing women on subs, I COULD do his job but NO WAY would I want to. lol

17. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

May 20, 2010

My BF does something with computer networks. I don't understand his job at all. lol.

He could not do my job. He is not a people person and doesn't really have a lot of patience. Whenever I tell him a story of something ridiculous a kid did at school, he always responds with "I'd smack that kid in the face." or something like that. Yep, that's why you aren't teaching. lol.

I have often said that I think there should be a Take Your SO to Work Day. I think it is more important than the take your kid to work day. I think it is really important to see what your SO does day to day.

18. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

May 20, 2010

I've seen an SO career thread several times before and almost didn't come in to read this one but I admit, the trading part is a really fun twist to this old topic. So I'll bite! :D

My husband.... I'm not even sure what his title is anymore. My understanding is that he goes to various federal properties all over the world and looks at their computer networking systems, etc. Then he decides if it is up to snuff and draws up blueprint proposals for revision plans. He goes back to see if the project is going like it should. He doesn't like it much. He wants to be the guy setting it up and fixing it and getting his hands dirty but this job pays better. He does, however, like getting to travel.

I could have done some of his jobs in the past with more training and I might have even enjoyed being in the computer field but I don't think I want his job now. I wouldn't mind, however, traveling some. His travel is 25% of the year so it isn't so extensive that he isn't home. One huge benefit from his job though is that he has so much more free time than me. He tells me he has the smarter job and wouldn't want mine. He gets every other Fridays off and he gets to work from home on Wednesdays as part of their work commute program (even though we only live 1/4 of a mile from his work). He will tell you that the perks he gets outweighs any misgivings he has about the job. (high pay, traveling, good hours, and close to home). He will also tell you that he still is close enough to his field that he gets to do what he likes at least sometimes. He just wishes he could do more sometimes.

As far as him doing my job.... I don't think he could put up with the BS political stuff. He can't stand listening about my job. He doesn't understand enough about my job. He thinks it is play. He can't understand why it is the amount of work that it is. He does, however, agree that I have far more stress (even if he can't understand why) and my job is more time consuming (even if he can't understand why). He doesn't see why I have to work with such inefficiency and why I have to put up with everything not going my way all the time even though I have my own classroom (shouldn't I be my own boss) and why I don't have scripted programs and why I have to do any planning, etc. He is completely clueless no matter how many times I try to explain it. He doesn't understand why I have to continue taking college courses (even though he technically does the same thing). He is good with kids but he wouldn't be good at this. He can't wrap his mind around it conceptually. According to him, I was qualified to teach deaf ed elementary school just by virtue of being deaf. Why did I need to go to college. (He seriously asked me that several times and doesn't agree with my answers!).

19. tinytotsteacher

tinytotsteacher Rookie

May 20, 2010

My hubby dropped out of college when he met me. He was going into biology, and wanted to work with the DNR. He has been building motorhomes since we moved back to his hometown 21 years ago. He hates it, but it has paid the bills. He would be perfectly capable in my shoes, as one of the things he did was a nanny for 2 little girls who lived with their grandparents. He loved it, and enjoys kids.
    No way I would be able to do his job. I'm a perfectionist and wouldn't be able to let a unit go past me that I couldn't do perfect. His employers motto is "run the line fast to push the units through so the employees can't do their job right, and go back and fix it later"

20. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

May 20, 2010

MY SO is senior accountant. I could not do his job. He tried to teach me and let me do something while he worked from home. It was a joke. Never again do I want anything to do with it.

I don't think he could do my job. The kids would be climbing the walls.

21. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

May 20, 2010

This first part of this reminds me of my dad. He is a good old farmer who started working as a truck driver for a farming company to make ends meet when I was born. He moved up to the guy that actually drives the equipment, then as a crop advisor/salesman. Now he is the manager of the plant and oversees everyone else. It's a good job and he makes good money, but he gets giddy when one of the guys is sick and he gets to go out and drive the tractors again. He knows a lot about what he is doing, but he would rather be DOING it than telling everyone else what to do. Plus I think it's cool that if someone is sick the BOSS is doing your job for the day. How often does that happen?

As for the other part, I think my BF would have felt that way before he met me, but I think I have opened his eyes a lot. I know he knows what an IEP and 504 are now. lol. He doesn't get a lot of the bureaucracy of education, but then again, neither do I.

22. Ranchwife

Ranchwife Companion

May 20, 2010

Well, my husband is a rancher. That means he wears different hats depending on the time of day and on the time of year. Being that he is a rancher, that means he is also a farmer, range manager, veterinarian, mechanic, electrical engineer, water engineer, financial officer, fire fighter, heavy equipment operator, and so on. There are some of his jobs I could do, like swathing and baling hay (I already know how to rake hay), even driving the grater, back hoe, and loader if I was taught how. I could probably handle turning the water to the pastures and fields. I could move sprinkler and deal with the pivots.

There other aspects of his job, I simply couldn't physically, or emotionally do. I grieve for him when he has to haul off dead calves, or when he has to put an animal down. I don't envy the 14-18 hour days he puts in during the summer (hay season). I don't have the strength or knowledge to assist in the birth of the calves. I couldn't run the corral to work cows/calves. I couldn't bring myself to brand the calves. I haven't a clue about being a mechanic, or running the ranch finances. I'm not strong enough to build decent fences, or dig holes. My husband is great at his job and I'm thankful for all that he does. I pray that he lives a long life so I don't have to learn how to do all he does to keep the ranch operating.

Could he do my job? He could for about a day then he would be fired for not being able to keep his mouth shut. At least cows don't talk back! :)

23. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

May 20, 2010

I met my DH while he was serving in the USMC. He has been about for about 14 years now and is an automation engineer for a company that makes plastic molding equipment. It is quite possible that he has met or worked with kcjo13 's husband because he travels mostly in Missouri, Kansas, Iowa, Nebraska, Indiana, and Illinois to work at plants that have the machines that his company makes. He has also done jobs in Puerto Rico, Austria, Quebec, and Ontario this year. I could never do his job, I just don't have the training and I am not really the type of person to sit in front of a computer or robot and work on programs.
    He could never do my job. He just doesn't have the people skills that are necessary to deal with teenagers, especially a room of 22 hormonal sophomores :).

24. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

May 20, 2010

That's right midwest-we've talked about this before! I forgot. Wouldn't that be something if they knew each other??

25. Crzy_ArtTeacher

Crzy_ArtTeacher Comrade

May 20, 2010

My SO is an electrician, it would be a very bad thing if I were to try and do his job. I don't think anybody wants an art teacher messing around with powerful electricity.

On that note, I'd love to say that my SO could do my job but I know honestly that he wouldn't have any patience to deal with the things we do as educators day in and day out. I'll relay stories back to him and he just shakes his head and says you have to get out of that school. The other day he was saying to me, "Why do you go on those teacher blogs? You spend so much time reading them. When I get home I leave work out of it, I don't bring work home at all".

Ultimately I'm happier at my job than he is, I wish it weren't the case but I enjoy thinking and planning about my job while he prefers to leave it at the door.

26. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

May 20, 2010

My SO is a graphic artist so NO there is no way I could do his job. He could probably do mine, he is very smart and kids respond to him. I don't know how long he would do it though.

27. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

May 21, 2010

First wife is a nurse. Nope, I could not do it. She is teaching new nurses now.
    Second wife was a bus driver. Could do it with my eyes closed (CRASH :eek:). She could not teach school but she does teach drivers. Haley's grandma
    Third wife 5th grade teacher. I Could do it and did it (Subbed in her class a number of times) she would have problems with older kids but could do it
    GF motel manager/accountant. I could do it She could do it she was a math teacher for a year.

28. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

May 21, 2010

My husband works for the post office to make some money, but his real job is a Barbershop singer. I could not get up in front of 2 people and sing...he can get up in front of thousands and sing his heart out at the drop of a hat. He cannot get up in front of 2 people and teach a lesson..I can get up in front of thousands and teach off the cuff. We are both in exactly the positions we should be in!

29. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

May 21, 2010

Before he passed away, my husband was a logger in Washington State. And no, no, a thousand times no would I ever be physically able to do his job.

I would be very afraid of what the classroom would look like if he had been a teacher. They'd all be playing poker, climbing trees, coming to school on dirt bikes, hunting, and fishing. And he would have had a blast teaching kids how to do those things instead of any curriculum.

30. MissJennifer

MissJennifer Companion

May 21, 2010

My husband is a lab/network administrator for a large worldwide software company. He is in charge of purchasing for the entire company, and also works for a small team (15 guys world wide) that provides the hardware/systems for the tech support people. Essentially what they do is provide the environments the tech support need when the customers call. So if you were to call his company and have a problem with this software, the tech support person has to be able to re-create your problem in front of them. So my husband's team, has the tools to make the "recreated environments".

There is NO way I could do his job. It involves lots of acronyms and words that I don't understand (AIX, SQL, array....) Nor do I have any desire to do what he does! He could probably do my job - he's really good with kids, but he would get frustrated and probably run out of things to keep 15 four year olds busy for the day and would throw nerf balls at them and stuff. :) (This is what happens when we teach Sunday school, lol)

31. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

May 21, 2010

My husband works for the state and is a spokesperson. We both bring our work home a lot. He would make a good college prof but not a public school teacher. I would be fired from his job because I wouldn't know when to stop talking.:whistle:

32. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 21, 2010

dh is in sales- I've done that. Could do it again if I wanted/had to. I'm good with 'people'.

He'd make a great teacher. He's a kid magnet.