Sorting ideas for a Head Start class

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by allyson206, Sep 17, 2008.

1. allyson206

allyson206 Rookie

Sep 17, 2008

Okay, I need a math lesson for a Head Start class and was hoping for so creative ideas to keep the kids interested. It needs to be short but fun to keep the kids interest. Very short attention spans.......Any ideas?

3. Robin

Robin Rookie

Sep 17, 2008

Can you get those shiny acrylic 'jewels'? Or those little plastic frogs, snakes or lizards...sorting them by spots, or stripes or colors. Jars, matching bowls. You can sort flowers, leaves, rocks, buttons. Muffin tins with different color papers or symbols on the bottoms. Shoes, clothes with zippers, buttons, velcro. Hair and eyes, girls and boys.

4. allyson206

allyson206 Rookie

Sep 17, 2008

I can do colored bears?

5. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Sep 17, 2008

When I first read this, I thought you wrote - colored beans.

You actually could buy the large sized white beans that are sold in plastic bags in the grocery store.
    Use different colored permanent markers to color a circle on one side of the bean - or make different shapes (star, triangle, crescent moon, arrow, etc.).

Then the children can sort the beans and either place them into piles - or into empty egg cartons - or muffin tins.

6. young_ones

young_ones Rookie

Sep 18, 2008

If you go to a home improvement store, I go to Lowes, they usually have paint chip samples. Grab some of those, get as many of them as you want the kids to sort. They are FREE (which is always a plus) and have a variety of colors. If they come in a strip just cut them apart. To extend it you can talk about how colors have different shades, then do some shade painting.

Also about the beans...in the cultural foods section they sell a variety of beans. There are bags that have assorted colors in them.

7. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Sep 18, 2008

If their attention spans are short have them sort the food that would regularly be for snack (not special sugar food). So if they were going to have crackers and raisins (why, I don't know I just made it up) then give them the snack in a bunch on the plate and have them make a pile of crackers and a pile of raisins. Then they can eat.

Some children will naturally make lines as they sort. You can expand on that and count if they will not be mad that you are taking eating time.

After they learn the basics of sorting I set up hula hoops outside and have the sorted items (your bears would be fine if that is all you have) in a bowl mixed up. Then the student chooses and has to run to the hula hoop that is marking the area for that item. So red bears on the Right and Blue bears ont he left.

I found running, and moving helps even the shortest of attention spans.

8. PennStateCutie

PennStateCutie Companion

Sep 18, 2008

For fall, you could die cut (if you have access) different colors, sizes, and types of leaves and first have them sort by color (or use real leaves). THen another time, have them sort by size. Finally, if you think they could do it, have them try to sort them by a characteristic of their choosing...maybe all of the pointy leaves, or curved leaves, or leaves with holes, etc...

9. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Sep 18, 2008

speaking of fall

Yep. We also love to sort gourds - they are plentiful here and lead to lots of discribing words....bumpy, crooked, white, orange, stripes and so on.:cool:

10. tgi1515

tgi1515 Comrade

Sep 20, 2008

I have been teaching sorting in my class for the past month. This is what we did/will do:

Bb week - Bear theme- we sorted bears by color, by size. I modeled for them and then let them "help" each other.

Cc week - Cookie/Cows/etc. - I have a cookie "counting" game. I changed it to a cookie "sorting" game to do at the teacher table. They sorted plastic cookies first. Then I gave them 10 Teddy Grahams on a plate. They had to sort them by "arms up" or "arms down". Then they got to eat them or put them in a snack bag to take home.

Nn Week - Numbers/Nursery Rhymes - We read "farm" type nursery rhymes then sorted farm animal manipulatives by animal, color and size.

Ff Week - Farm - I added a sorting activity to one center to do if they finished early. It has colored pegs and colored shapes to fit on the pegs. It could be sorted by color or shape. We also had colored Goldfish crackers (Fish) for snack one day. We sorted the colors (some counted too) before we ate them. (I also squeezed in "same and different" with the farm animal manipulatives too.)

Next week we do Dd - Dogs and Ducks - We will sort "dog bones" (teacher directed so they won't eat them!:eek:hmy:) and count them (among other donut things).

Week after next we will do Aa - Apples - I have the kids bring one apple to school. We sort them by size, color, stem/no stem, and put them in graduated size order and graph. After a couple of days of activities, I wash and cut them, give the kids a blob of peanut butter and some stick pretzels to make "animals" to eat for snack. I start hitting my 5 senses harder too.

11. allyson206

allyson206 Rookie

Sep 21, 2008

Thanks everybody! Great Ideas!

12. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Sep 22, 2008

I bought kidney beans, white lima beans and split peas (yellow) --all dried of course-- and dumped them all into a container with a lid and shook them up. Then each kid gets a bowl and three cups and they have to pick them up out of the bowl and put them in the cups , one type in each cup. It's great for strengthening fine motor as well.

13. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Sep 22, 2008

Csn you take them outside? give them each a gallon size zip loc type bg and take them on a short nature hunt for things that fall in the fall-- acorns, pine cones leaves etc., then come back in and make seperate piles on the floor by sorting their treasures.

14. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Sep 24, 2008

Use muffin tins, hoola hoops, rubber bands, ice cube trays, etc. to sort in.