Sort of embarrassing/personal.. but would like input if you have any

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by peridotylayne, Jul 31, 2008.

1. peridotylayne

peridotylayne Companion

Jul 31, 2008

I went to get my hair cut today (first time since January.. long time.. I know). My hair stylist (who has cut my hair since I was 8) asked me how long I have had "that." I had NO IDEA what he was talking about and then he showed me a bald spot in the mirror :eek: Horror ensued. He says it's stress related. Anyone with similar experience?? I'm only 23 and I'm freaking out. :sorry:

3. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jul 31, 2008

Are you a lady or a man? I'm guessing a lady since you are horrified with a bald spot, but what do I know?

I know a teacher who has alopecia and lost a great deal of hair, including her eyebrows. It was stress-triggered. You might look it up. It is not life-threatening at all (if you're worried) and might be something you can manage with stress reduction.

Hugs,
    Shelly

4. TampaTeacher

TampaTeacher Comrade

Jul 31, 2008

Yep. I've lost lots of hair during the stressful periods of my life. I didn't get a bald spot, but rather an overall thinning. The good news is that it should all grow back. In my case, the hair thinning took place when major stress subsided. Nice. I'd finally start relaxing, and suddenly, I'd be pulling out clumps of hair in the shower.

Is it possible you're twisting your hair as a nervous habit?

5. SouperTeach

SouperTeach Companion

Jul 31, 2008

My sister had this problem several years ago. I will have to ask her what she did about it. It was definitely stress related and I think went away after some of the stress died down.

6. peridotylayne

peridotylayne Companion

Jul 31, 2008

Yep, I'm a female. I'm assuming it's stress related. I've always lost large amounts of hair in the shower (since I was a chid) so I probably didn't realize when the amount seemed to grow. I guess it's nice to know I'm not the only one going through it. I've looked up alopecia already and I'm hoping it stops at the one spot I have and doesn't get worse. Thanks for helping. :)

7. Cashel

Cashel Rookie

Aug 1, 2008

My friend had the same problem and thought it was due to stress. It turned out to be ringworm. I think she got some medicine for it and it went away.

8. peridotylayne

peridotylayne Companion

Aug 1, 2008

I don't think it's ringworm. I've read that it can be caused by that, but when my sister and mom both looked at it (yes.. I had them inspect - lol) they didn't notice anything resembling what an area affected by ringworm would look like. I'm taking Valerian (which the pharmacist said is like "nature's Xanax") and a vitamin for Hair, Skin, and Nails that contains 3000mcg of Biotin. I'm crossing my fingers that it'll speed up the hair regrowth. It's already growing back, - SLOWLY - I just don't want another one. :eek:

9. TeacherMJ

TeacherMJ Comrade

Aug 1, 2008

Eeek! That can be scary...sounds like you've got it under control and there's no real harm done this time :)

10. adventuresofJ

adventuresofJ Comrade

Aug 1, 2008

Pretnatal vitamins are also good for hair and valarian mixed with hops might be good too sometimes valarian can put you to sleep.

11. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Aug 1, 2008

Sorry this happened. Why are you stressed? Can you do anything to relieve the stress? Maybe you should go see your doctor.

12. DaleJr88AmpFan

DaleJr88AmpFan Cohort

Aug 1, 2008

I have no other advice to offer... other than to try to reduce your stressors. Hope all goes well with your natural remedy and vitamin.

13. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Aug 1, 2008

Don't be embarrassed! I know that when I am stressed I tend to "shed."

BUT -- JaimeMarie is right -- you should go see a doctor and not just self-prescribe. It may just be stress or there may be an underlying issue. Be sure to tell the doctor everything you are taking, including supplements.

Good luck!

14. sumnerfan

sumnerfan Comrade

Aug 1, 2008

That happened to my husband. He just had a round bald spot about the size of a quarter on the side of his head. It finally grew back. It is stress related and you can get a shot in the bald spot that will help the hair grow back. I don't remember exactly but I think it was some kind of steroid.

Sorry to hear about the spot and I hope it grows back soon.

15. ready2teachintx

ready2teachintx Companion

Aug 1, 2008

Yes, this has happened to me before as well. Not a bald spot, but thinning and hair loss due to stress. It will grow back. You need to de-stress and once you are out of stress your hair will grow back and be just fine. Stress is horrible for your body overall, so get to the root of this problem and all will be okay. I would talk to your hair person and see if there is anything you can do or anything you can purchase to help the bald spot for now (if it is bothering you that much).

16. Ghost

Ghost Habitué

Aug 1, 2008

I have thin hair to begin with, a family history of female patterned balness, and some permanent hair loss due to a bad reaction to a medication. I use Nioxin shampoos & conditioners. They tingle and I don't notice as much hair loss. I also use the Men's Rogaine (drs advice) and it keeps my hair going. That's all I have to suggest. Sorry!

17. peridotylayne

peridotylayne Companion

Aug 1, 2008

Thanks for all the advice! It is very much appreciated! :) I'm thinking good thoughts and hoping that what I'm doing will work. If not, I'll definately make a trip to my doctor.

18. ITeachSATX

ITeachSATX Rookie

Aug 3, 2008

It could be stress BUT hair loss can also be an early sign of a thyroid disorder. Thyroid issues caused my mother and I to go from "crazy thick" hair to normal hair, kind of a blessing for us really but for the regular gal she'd be so thin and limp it would be frustrating, and the hair loss is not evenly distributed.

Other things to consider: being tired a lot, gaining weight you can't account for or not being able to lose despite truly trying, flaking skins and unusual changes to your menstrual cycle. If you go to the dr. for just a regular check up they can do an easy blood test for your thyroid and it will also give you a heads up concerning cholesterol, iron, etc.

19. Camel & Walrus

Camel & Walrus Rookie

Aug 4, 2008

The same hair dresser since you were eight?!

I diagnose super small town syndrome - take yourself on an exotic holiday immediately

20. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Aug 4, 2008

One thing nobody's mentioned: Do you wear your hair up in a barrette on a regular basis or clip it in the same spot? Sometimes bald spots can appear from barrettes pulling out small bits of hair from the same spot day after day.

21. SweetHomeAlabam

SweetHomeAlabam Companion

Aug 4, 2008

I am sorry you are going through this. I am fortunate to be severly thick headed, however, I shed daily. My bathtub has to be cleaned after every single shower.
    It does sound stress related, and to top it off you are worrying about this.
    My advice:

see your doctor, ask specificly for a blood panel including thyroid. (be persistant with this even if he/she feels there is nothing wrong)

check your medications you are currently taking

check your supplements you are currently taking

check your diet (the foods you are eating even if you have always ate them)

take a yoga class at least once a week

Are you exercising, are you over excercising

get a massage (this will help with stress and also flush out toxins accumulated in your system)

get enough sleep

drink plenty of water (especially following the massage)

You might want to try the horse mane and tail shampoo (of course see your doctor FIRST)

Laugh, laughing releases endorphines, endorphines make you feel good. even if nothing is funny, start laughing with someone, (kids are the best because they think everything is funny) if you don't have anyone to laugh at, look on YouTube.:lol:

I hope that you start to feel better soon!:hugs:

22. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Aug 4, 2008

Being a man and as thin as you can be without being bald I wanted to say something funny but it is not funny for women
    I do agree that de stressing in important
    when you are ready for a funny I'll try then.