Sorry another Fair Use question for my Ntl Board Video Component

Discussion in 'General Education' started by AdamnJakesMommy, Feb 22, 2017.

1. AdamnJakesMommy

AdamnJakesMommy Habitué

Feb 22, 2017

I am confused. Again. Sorry. More like paranoid, actually.

Scenario: I want to show a video clip from one of the MANY video clips available on the History Channel's website.

Facts:
    -I will go the history channel's webpage and directly play the video from there.
    -The video is 3 minutes long.

This is permissible right, because I'm not "copying" it or embedding it in any power points---but simply showing it.

3. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Feb 22, 2017

You've posted similar copyright questions before, and I understand your hesitancy, but doesn't the National Board Certification program offer any kind of guideline or manual for this? I mean, it seems unreasonable that there may be an issue with showing a video from an easily accessible website in your classroom. What are they expecting teachers to use - only purchased materials, including videos on purchased classroom subscription websites?

I use online resources throughout my entire day - printed worksheets, videos on YouTube, Google maps and Google images in quick searches to add details. It seems excessive to not allow teachers to access these resources, or to expect that teachers will check the copyright on everything they quickly show (like an image from a search if you're trying to explain a new word).

Also, I did do some searching on your question. I found this page, which should contain the answer, but was unable to actually find it (although I didn't read the whole thing).

Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
  4. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Feb 23, 2017

I think if it's on a public website, and you're not giving copies of it to students and simply showing it to the class, then I think it's fine. It's not something that they're selling.

I would just caution you that the component 3 submission is only about 10-15 minutes long, and every minute counts, so using 3 minutes of it just showing a video may not show a lot of the level 4 rubric points that the evaluators may want to see. My interpretation of comp 3 is that they want to see the teacher modeling, the students engaging in discussion with each other, and you providing feedback. My evaluator spending 20-30% of my video time watching a recording of another video could be boring (and I really don't want my evaluator bored, because they're probably going to be watching so many of these videos) and it's likely the video won't come through well in the recording.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2017
    otterpop likes this.
  5. AdamnJakesMommy

AdamnJakesMommy Habitué

Feb 23, 2017

I am getting my board certification in social studies--for social studies they want to see tons of collaboration and analysis between the students and the teacher facilitating that discussion.

My first video is going to be small group rotating stations consisting of primary source document interpretation and propaganda analysis. I will be there facilitating discussion and probing them to think deeper about the information contained in the sources (read between the lines with propaganda), but these aren't "skills to be modeled" they are discussion-based concepts.

My second video will be whole-group instruction which will contain a three minute clip of the Berlin Wall reconstruction. I will pause and discuss throughout, ask probing questions, and continue. Then we will do quick writes that involve students thinking deeply about citizenship---citizenship is a BIG BIG element they are looking for in social studies component three---at least according to the pdf they have online.

Peregrin5 likes this.
  6. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Feb 24, 2017

Gotcha, that sounds pretty good. Have you done a rubric analysis? If you haven't yet, all of the component instructions come with leveled rubrics, and one thing I found useful this year was to create a chart with each rubric point and write how my video will show evidence of that rubric point, so I now I'm hitting all of the things the evaluator will be looking for. I didn't do it last year and struggled with one of my components, but found a support group this year that taught me how to do that. It's super useful.