Sore knuckle from using chalk?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Epiphany, Jun 4, 2013.

1. Epiphany

Epiphany Rookie

Jun 4, 2013

Hi All, I'm a fairly new teacher, and was wondering if anyone has ideas to help me please - the top knuckle (nearest my nail) on my index finger is stiff/ sore, maybe there's a 'right' way to hold the chalk onto the board and I'm not doing it properly?

Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated :) Thanks

Warm regards,
    Epiphany

3. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jun 4, 2013

Maybe try a chalk holder so that you don't have to hold it quite as close to the board.

4. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Jun 4, 2013

I haven't had a chalkboard in years, but I don't remember any issues. I used a chalk holder because the chalk dried my hands out really bad.

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 4, 2013

Writing with chalk is not like writing with a pen or pencil. Try practicing this with a new piece of chalk: hold the chalk lightly with thumb and three or four fingers - it should be at right angles to your fingers - and write using the edge of the chalk, with the motion in your shoulder and elbow rather than in your hand or fingers. The edge wears down quickly to give a thicker line, and this grip is usually less likely to produce those awful chalkboard squeaks.

A little bit of paper towel or tissue wrapped around the chalk can serve, in a pinch, as a chalk holder.

6. CindyBlue

CindyBlue Cohort

Jun 4, 2013

I hold the chalk under, rather than over. To help describe the position, if it was long enough, my last three fingers could grip it. Makes it much easier to write and stops the squeak (that doesn't bother me at all but drives some of my kids crazy (smile!))

7. Rhesus

Rhesus Comrade

Jun 4, 2013

For a number of years now I have taught in schools and rooms with white boards and dry erase markers. I hate them; they don't erase well, they stink, they run dry, and the ink doesn't brush off like mere chalk dust. One more thing a miss about the good old days...

I used to hold chalk sort of like a small paintbrush.

8. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jun 4, 2013

And I would hate to go back to chalk. Hate the feel of it... ick.