SOOOOOOOO SSSSSSSLLLLLLOOOOOWWWWW

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by just-n-educator, Mar 20, 2008.

1. just-n-educator

just-n-educator Companion

Mar 20, 2008

I am so tired :eek: of 2 students in my class who are slower then turtles...what I mean is something that should or does take an average student 20-30 minutes to do, it take these 2 students over 2 hours I am really not exaggerating:tired:. Its not that these children are not smart these are 2 very bright students who just work slow. The parents of these students are just as worried, because the homework which again in about 10-15 minutes long it takes them over an hour. Please just tell me what I can do to help these children work faster.

3. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Mar 20, 2008

What have you tried already?

4. just-n-educator

Mar 20, 2008

One of the student's mom suggested to have someone that works faster sit next to her and keep telling her to hurry up. She said, this works with her at home. I also tried putting on the timer for them and telling them they needed to be done before the timer went off.

5. teacherpippi

teacherpippi Habitué

Mar 20, 2008

Is there anything that motivates them?

Can they work quickly when they want to or do they really just need more time?

I often use a 'love and logic' approach with slow students (who are slow b/c of choice, not just b/c they have a learning disability of some kind): "It's okay if you don't finish now. Some students need a little more time with the teacher. Don't worry though, I'll have time to help you at recess."

6. just-n-educator

Mar 20, 2008

I'm not sure because under no situation have I had them finish their work on time. No matter what subject, time or day...everything is just slow!

7. tomfoolery

tomfoolery Rookie

Mar 20, 2008

Maybe try breaking work down into smaller parts and having them race the clock? "I'll give everyone three minutes to complete #4"??

8. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Mar 20, 2008

Kids who finish on time get ________ whatever you decide. I have to do this with a couple of my Preschool kids, not with their work so much as getting ready to go outside. We've started to leave them behind and man do they ever move fast when they see us go out the door. I suppose you can't use candy treats, but there are special stamps or small toys? Have you tried putting them by themselves, away from others or does that make it worse? I find that "hurry up" doesn't work in any situation.
    How about telling them that since they are soooooooo slooooooow, they will have to start their work earlier while others are engaged in something fun? THink of what makes them tick and dangle it before their eyes. If they don't speed up, someone else will get the "prize."

9. just-n-educator

Mar 20, 2008

The two of them really like to go outside to play...but when I leave them in the class, they still don't do the work any faster. I am telling you this out of real frustration, you all might think I am nuts!!!!!!!! But the problem is that the poor parents are just as if not more then me because of how slow they work at home.

10. MsVee

MsVee Rookie

Mar 20, 2008

It may sound harsh, but you could try letting them know that they have x amount of time to complete a project, and if they don't they have two options: 1) finish it during recess, or 2) take it home as homework. If it's not finished, they can turn it in for partial credit or not turn it in and get a zero on the assignment. Let them know that you know they can finish it in the the time allotted.

I find that when I put a time limit on students (some more than others) it really increases their efficiency! :p Anyway, if they don't finish it on time, but are capable of doing so, it's basically out of your hands. They can learn and/or pay the consequences. You can only make so many accommodations.

11. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Mar 20, 2008

I agree with you MsVee. Let them suffer the consequences.

12. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Mar 21, 2008

I'm just curious as to what they are doing when the should be working. Are they zoning, playing with something at their desk, just sitting there? It is so frustrating when this happens.

13. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Mar 21, 2008

Can you really punish them if they are actually working the whole time. If they are goofing off, that's one thing, but if they are working and have a slower thought process, that's another.
    To me it's like gym when the slowest kid in the class finishes running laps long after everyone is done. The kid is already embarrassed, and the teacher trying to rush them doesn't help because they just can't run any faster.

14. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Mar 21, 2008

I'm thinking the same thing Cheeryteacher. I remember subbing several days in the same classroom and one girl did hardly anything at all. She had a folder of unfinished work and was adding to it. All the prodding in the world wouldn't help. Keeping in for recess did no good either, plus we can't do that more than 2 days a week.

Then, we did something with the different types of forests and made a paper chain with drawings of animals in the appropriate forests. She was the second one done. It was unreal! Something about the chain, the cutting, the coloring, and the animals just all clicked.

15. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Mar 21, 2008

M&Ms Gumballs Recess

Have a candy jar, if you can have candy, put some M&Ms in it. Or Candy Kisses. Anybody who gets done before the timer goes off gets one or two pieces of candy from the candy jar.

Or a gumball from the gumball machine. Buy at the Dollar Store for a couple dollars.

Take the work outside for recess and they have to run around the play ground once and work on their work on the sidewalk with their backs to the children playing.

16. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Mar 21, 2008

A chart worked for a student once.
    If she wasn't the last one done, she received a sticker.
    I was thrilled if I could get her to not be the last even once a day :p
    Since you have 2 students, this may not work.

Parents enforced by earning stickers to receive rewards at home.
    They started very small but with an immediate response so that the child could feel good.
    1 sticker = chewed gum
    2 stickers = dessert first
    4 stickers = sit in dad's chair for supper
    7= movie
    11= sleep over
    16 = new toy
    22= hotel night

We even included getting dressed for recess, walking in from recess, goinf to the bathroom as a class, you name it; she was ALWAYS last. After a month, she was earning a sticker with about half the projects. After a few months, One problem did arrise as some of her friends started slowing down just to help her. I think the smarty bribed them. :woot:

17. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Mar 21, 2008

I did this but also added anyone done on time with their name/number on their work. It worked like a charm.

18. just-n-educator

Mar 21, 2008

Let me answer some of your responses...they seem like they are working but they look zoned out!!! As if they are thinking about something else. I am going to try the sticker technique...this might get them motivated.

19. Writer02

Writer02 Companion

Mar 22, 2008

I would hook them up with the counselor. She/he can help the kids come up with some strategies, maybe decide what the priorities are in finishing the work, help them distinguish between a regular, daily assignment's standards and long-term project standards. Every assignment doesn't have to be perfection, that type of idea. I wouldn't want to stress them out more because it sounds like the kind of kid who is totally stressed about being perfect that would work this slowly. The counselor can pull them out and has more time to work with them and help them take ownership of the problem and possible solutions.:2cents:

20. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Mar 22, 2008

Could it be a processing disorder? So it takes them longer to finish work.

21. mrs100

mrs100 Comrade

Mar 22, 2008

I'm wondering the same thing Jaimemarie. If these students just work slowly, but they are working, should everyone else be rewarded and not them? I would want them run through some kind of doctor's assessment for disorders, especially if the parents see the same problems at home.

22. just-n-educator

Mar 23, 2008

That is something to think about...I will mention it to the Moms. Also our school doesn't have any counselors :(! I work at a small private school.

23. teacherstudent1

teacherstudent1 Companion

Mar 23, 2008

You could be dealing with one of several possibilities:
    The students have a processing/learning disorder.
    The students have difficulty with selective and/or sustained attention.
    The students are unmotivated and/or bored.

The fist thing you need to do is analyze what exactly is happening when they are working. You said you do not have a counselor so I am guessing you do not have a diagnostician either. You might try the following.

After giving the class an independent assignment, stay in close proximity to these students and watch their behavior. If they stop, try to redirect them to task. If they are able to continue with only this prompt, they may be having difficulty with attention, either being internally or externally distracted.

If they appear not to be struggling with what they are to do, clarify for them in simpler language/smaller steps and see if that helps. If you see that they do better with clarification, (simpler vocabulary, one-step directions, visuals, etc), they may have some type of processing disorder. (Students can be intelligent and still have a processing disorder.)

If they appear to be able to easily do the work and stay on task but demonstrate indifference, appear to be waiting for you to leave before they stop, or appear truly bored, they may be unmotivated.

Once you think you have identified the source of the slow pace, you may be able to come up appropriate interventions.

24. just-n-educator

Mar 23, 2008

This is all really good advice...I am going to work on this and see what happens! Thank You :)

25. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Mar 23, 2008

teacherstudent1,

Thank you for laying this out so well. It all really makes sense. I copy and pasted your suggestion and placed it in my files for the future.

I am curious, if I call the attention issue problem 1, processing problem 2, and motivation problem 3, What do you suggest be done after you determine it is problem 1 or problem 3?

Thank you again,
    Lemonhead

26. TulipsGirl

TulipsGirl Cohort

Mar 23, 2008

Teacherstudent1:
    Those are very clear observations - thank you! How long have you been teaching for? It sounds like you have a lot of experience.

lemonhead - thanx for the tip/reminder to copy it for future references :)

27. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Mar 24, 2008

You're welcome

I am subbing today in a classroom with situation #3> I remember him from last year. It is frustrating.

Lemon

28. teacherstudent1

Mar 29, 2008

Then you pray.

Seriously, though, identifying the broad category is only the beginning. (I apologize up front if I get to long here...)

If it is attention, then you'll want to first try to identify if it is a problem with selective attention, sustained attention, or both. Selective attention is being able select which stimuli is most important (the teachers voice, the sound of the pencil sharpener, a random thought). A student with this problem attends to everything because everything is equally important. For them you want to try to eliminate competing sensory input, such as background noise or too much visual stimuli. Some of these children benefit from a person FM unit (such as hearing impaired children use), earplugs/phones to block background noise, study carols to block visual distractions, and frequent redirects to task.

Sustained attention is the ability to stay on task. This child has difficulty staying on task, even if he is interested and knows it is important. He will require frequent redirects to task in a nonjudgmental tone (remember that he can't help it). The accommodations above may also help, although he may be more apt to stop anyway as his mind constantly shifts to other things.

Both of these often occur as comorbid conditions, and may be combined with excess motor activity (hyperactivity). For both of these you want to be sure you have the child's attention before beginning, use visuals whenever possible, and check often to keep them on task. If they still have difficulty, document the behaviors and discuss them with the parents and diagnostician.

For lack of motivation, it often helps to identify what that student likes and set up a reward system of some type. These can range from simple acknowledgment or a star/stamp/sticker on the work, to complex point systems in which the student earns increasing levels of rewards. (My suggestion, start with frequent acknowledgment/verbal recognition or stamp/sticker).

For a processing problem, there a several broad catagories:
    Auditory processing (difficulty understanding, frequently ask "Huh, what?", difficulty following directions/multi-step directions)
    Visual processing (dyslexia, reading fluency/speed/comprehension, etc.),
    Sensory processing (hyper or hypo sensitive to touch/taste/smell/sounds/visual stimuli),
    Motor (either fine or gross, difficulty with letter formation, etc)
    or some combination.
    Your best bet here is to seek help from your diagnostician (if you have one), as each of these will have different accommodations.

And you are right, Tulipsgirl, I have been doing this for quite awhile. I've taught for 25+ years, with 20 of that being in special ed. One of the benefits of having circled the sun so many times is that we can't help but learn from experience!

29. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Mar 29, 2008

Thanks teacherstudent! I was hoping you'd be back to answer. Currently I am a sub but I am praying hard that I get a teacher job. I am lucky in that I sub in special ed quite a bit and I get to chat with the diagnostician but usually it is just in regards to a student that is all ready in the special ed program.

Thank you again, it is in my file:)

Lemonhead

30. teacherstudent1

Mar 29, 2008

I probably won't have much time to read and post until weekends.

But I'll try to stay in touch!

31. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Mar 30, 2008

Wow, what great input here! I am currently taking a course about special education and if you do discover that this is a serious learning disability by looking through the files, your personal knowledge base, observations, and input from others in the field, and know for a fact that the behaviors consistent with the possible learning disability are present in at least two unique settings (ie home and school)- your next step would be to make a referral for testing. That requires the parent to call the local public school SPED dept, and ask for her child to be tested, sign the paper and within 30 days the school dept is required to have your child tested/assessed. Is there any indication of this being observed from previous teachers? There should be something in the student records. Good luck. It is a hard road, but if you are seeing possible signs now in second grade, its important to act because the critical period where aid will really make a difference is fast approaching. Good luck! These kids are lucky to have you! Keep detailed observation notes and def look deeper into it- it might not be an LD, but it might.

32. Writer02

Writer02 Companion

Mar 30, 2008

I agree that your concerns about the students' abilities to complete work would be a great reason to refer them for additional testing (i.e. child study). I work in a big county, so I don't know if you have that available in a small private school.

33. teacherstudent1

Mar 30, 2008

Contact the student's home public school to request information on assessment if the parents want to pursue this. These students should be able to get an FIE (Full Individual Assessment). But be aware that it's not as simple as it sounds to get help when the child is in a private school.

I'm not sure how it works in your state, but in ours once a child has entered first grade, if the parents reject public education, they also reject the special education services the district provides.

However, the districts are required by law to share a small % of their federal IDEA funds with private schools based on the number of identified special education students in private school in that area. That may be done by way of services, but considering the % of all special ed students in public schools vs the % served in private schools, the services/funds would be very minimal.

The point is, even if they qualify, it may be a challenge getting adequate services if the child is still enrolled in private school.