Soooooo nervous!!!

Discussion in 'New Teachers Archives' started by SarahnVA, Aug 20, 2006.

1. SarahnVA

SarahnVA Rookie

Aug 20, 2006

Tomorrow is my first day at work! I have briefly been in my classroom the week before last, but last week my entire school was closed for cleaning so tomorrow is my first official day to meet everyone and to start setting up my class. I'm really excited and nervous at the same time. I just received a letter in the mail going to the entire staff of my school explaining that there will also be two other new kindergarten teachers!! I like the fact that I'm not the only new one so I will have others on my team to relate too, but I also was looking forward to having a well experienced team to help me out.

Are there any others that are starting work this week? Good luck to everyone!

3. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Aug 20, 2006

Good luck. Why are there 3 new K teachers?

4. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Aug 20, 2006

Good luck tomorrow!
    Tomorrow is my first day to get into my classroom and set up too. It's not a paid workday, but it's the first day we'll be able to get into our classrooms so I'm thinking I may meet many of my coworkers for the first time tomorrow too!

5. sarypotter

sarypotter Comrade

Aug 20, 2006

I'm getting nervous, too! I'm going to spend much of tomorrow just decorating and making the room look inviting, and the rest of the week immersing myself in IEPs. I feel like if I survive Friday (the first day for students), my class and I will survive anything. I'm going to plan a week's worth of material for Friday, in case something goes wrong. I don't want to end up with downtime!

Anyway, it's good to know I'm not the only one getting nervous. Good luck, everyone!

6. SarahnVA

SarahnVA Rookie

Aug 20, 2006

Lol, is that a good idea to have a week's worth? Will there be a downtime? I would think that with extra time I could reteach procedures and 'test' the kids on what they know so far about them!

I don't know why there are three new kindergarten teachers. I guess I'm going to find out tomorrow! I am wide awake. I have what I'm bringing to my room already in my car and I have what I'm going to wear sitting out. In my letter it says that the next week will be a casual week, does that mean jeans? I'm wearing a nice pair of pants and a blouse, but I'm bringing jeans and a t-shirt if other teachers are really dressed down. I tried to keep my fiance awake with me, talking about EVERYTHING from what our wedding might be like to what he did on his first day in elementary school. I finally let him go to sleep when his words started slurring, he has to get up at 5:30 tomorrow morning! Poor guy....

7. CyFair

CyFair Rookie

Aug 20, 2006

Good luck. I'm sure you and the other new kindergarten teachers will do great. Have fun!

8. Deb06

Deb06 Companion

Aug 20, 2006

Tomorrow is my first day ever, also. :) I already decorated my room which you can see here if you want:
    http://angelfire.com/planet/misscolvin/classroom.html

Tomorrow and Tuesday are staff development days and Wednesday is the first day for students.

Best of luck to you! I'm sure you'll do great. :) Have a wonderful week!

9. sarypotter

sarypotter Comrade

Aug 20, 2006

lol, don't worry -- I haven't planned a week's-worth of heavy-duty academics! "Procedure practice" is a big part of my plan. :)

10. SarahnVA

SarahnVA Rookie

Aug 20, 2006

Deb, I love your class! Your pictures reminded me of more things I need to do in my class, like label EVERYTHING! I can have the closet labeled, the easel, the chalk board, etc. Also, do a lot of kindergarten/1st grade teachers use their chalkboards a lot? I think if I have chart paper it would be used more. I'm thinking of making my chalk board my word wall.

Thanks everyone for your best wishes!

11. katerina03

katerina03 Devotee

Aug 20, 2006

Deb, your room is awesome!

12. Deb06

Deb06 Companion

Aug 20, 2006

Thanks! I'm glad you guys like it. I felt kind of behind because I don't have as much "stuff" as the teachers who have been there for years, but I had to make due with what I have. :)

As far as the whole chalkboard thing, I doubt I'll use it a whole lot, but I left it open just incase.

13. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Aug 21, 2006

Sarah,
    I hope you don't plan on teaching lessons (academics) the first day of school with kinders. You are going to have to teach them how to sit in circle (and practice while you read a story or something), teach them how to line up, get a drink of water................... This will take most of the day. Maybe do a guided discovery have how you use crayons......

14. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Aug 21, 2006

Deb,
    I love your classroom. Don't worry about having a ton of stuff to put up. You want a place for the children to hang up their work.

15. SarahnVA

SarahnVA Rookie

Aug 21, 2006

:thanks: Don't worry I know I'll be working on pretty much only procedures for the first month or so!

I worked in my classroom all day! The teacher that was there before me passed away, so I had to go through all of her stuff. I'm not too sure if the person who put the stuff away was just messy, or if she was disorganized, but I had YEARS of stuff to go through and organize. I felt that there was no way I could organize the classroom furniture and start on my wordwall/ carpet area before I knew what was in my classroom. After working on this all day and checking out the other teachers' rooms on my hall I feel that I am ready to start planning my class. The problem is that I have meetings all day tomorrow until 3:30 and half the day on Wednesday. I'm still going to start tomorrow but I won't be able to get much done.

Thanks for all of your help and I hope everyone else had great first days!

16. Ms.T

Ms.T Comrade

Aug 22, 2006

Beth, I haven't been on the job seekers board for a little while. You got a job!! Congrats!!
    Thursday is my first day of orientation, but that is for all of the schools within the charter company, and it isn't at my school. Then Fri. and Mon. are orientation as well. I have only seen my classroom for about 5 minutes at my interview. I can't even remember it and I have no idea when I'll be able to get in there. School doesn't start until the 5th, but I am chomping at the bit!! I need to see what the former teacher left and see what else I need to buy.

17. Ang27mom

Ang27mom New Member

Aug 23, 2006

Tomorrow is my first day too! Excited and nervous all mixed up together.

18. Ang27mom

Ang27mom New Member

Aug 23, 2006

Hey Beth, third grade first timer here too. Sitting here tonight researching what to do the first few days.
    Angela