Soooo discouraging...

Discussion in 'New Teachers Archives' started by CanadianTeacher, Jun 3, 2005.

1. CanadianTeacher

CanadianTeacher Groupie

Jun 3, 2005

I don't know what I expected, but I am beyond down about how my prospects are looking. I finished at the end of April and I've had minimal subbing calls (about two days a week for the past 3 weeks), I've applied for summer school and haven't heard (I know it's probably early), I had an interview for a long-term occasional for the month of june (a retired teacher got it), I've even applied for a few non-teaching jobs to get me through the summer and I haven't heard anything on those yet (I know...it can take time). The postings for September in my school board are usually up on May but this year they have been backed up till June and are still not up, so I can't even look towards September because I have no idea how many or if there will even be any positions to apply for in September. It's very depressing. I find myself obsessively checking for new postings about 5 times a day in the hopes that I will see some light after all this hard work. I have taken so much care in making my resume and cover letters look and sound extremely professional as well as my portfolio. I feel like I have so much to offer, but I can't make anyone see it, and I wonder if I will ever get a job or if my four years of university (which took 7 to complete) will end up being a total waste of time and money.

Not feeling too positive at the moment. :(

Last edited: Jun 3, 2005
  3. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jun 3, 2005

It is very hard to wait, but do your best to be patient. It doesn't sound as though all the jobs are gone, they haven't even started yet. The year I started looking I had my first interview in May, but got calls throughout the summer from other districts, and even some as late as December.
    Get out and have lots of fun while you wait; you won't have much free time once the calls start! Keep us posted.

4. jaimed

jaimed Rookie

Jun 3, 2005

I am in the position. I graduated in Dec. Things are just starting to happen. I go through phases where I am happy and then just want to get in the class and teach. Try to stay positive!!! I am in the same boat if you need to vent feel free e-mail me!

5. teacher333

teacher333 Devotee

Jun 3, 2005

Just hang in there! I know in our District some teachers don't let the District know they are not coming back sometimes until mid-summer for whatever reason. My first job I got 2 weeks prior to school opening, for a maternity leave position, and when that was done I was offered a full time replacement job in January.

Use this time to "stock up" on things you can use in your classroom, if you have a general idea of what grade level you might wind up in. Gather generic lesson plans for lessons that look appealing to you - you can always adapt up or down depending on your grade. Keep an eye open for relevant workshops and attend as many as you can. All this goes into a portfolio and shows a future employer you are serious about pursuing your goals. You might also need to expand your area in which you are looking, as far as city, town, etc.

6. CanadianTeacher

CanadianTeacher Groupie

Jun 4, 2005

Yes, that's exactly what I've been doing. Everytime I get a day of supply work in and I see an interesting lesson, etc... I keep a copy for myself, for future reference. I used my first two weeks off after I finished my program to organize my resources by subject and I even went on ordered free resources/lesson plans from websites that were giving them. So, I'm all ready to go.

As far as knowing what grade I'll end up in, I have absolutely no idea. I'm not in a position to be choosy, so I'll have to settle for whatever I get (although I'm hoping it's somewhere between grades 5 and 10 as this is my preferred group - I'd love even higher grades like 11 and 12, but I realize that the likelihood is less for these).

As far as expanding my area, I can't really as my husband has a great job where we are (it'll take me a few years to catch up in salary to him) and my kids are well established with their schools and friends (something I never had and don't want to ruin for them), so moving or relocating is not really an option. However, I am willing to commute up to 45 minutes.

When I checked last night, there are a bunch of long-term occasional positions up, so I will get busy applying this weekend, but the permanent postings aren't even up yet.

Another worry is that they are saying that the teacher shortage in Ontario is over and only 55% of last year's grads got permanent work by now. Besides trying to compete with retired teachers who are allowed to work up to 95 days without affecting their pension makes the prospects seem bleak.

Thanks to all who replied for the encouragement and the opportunity to vent a little. My husband has been and is still so supportive but is getting tired of hearing the same thing everyday. ;)

7. teacher333

teacher333 Devotee

Jun 4, 2005

This is a great place to vent when family gets "tired" - we have all been in the same boat at one time or another!

8. NorthernNaan

NorthernNaan Rookie

Jun 7, 2005

Don't get too discouraged

Hi,
    I live in Northern Ontario - There are not a lot of job prospects here.
    I have supplied and been teaching in long-term occasionals for 3 years.

My first year I was upset at the lack of jobs. :mad:
    So I threw myself into getting prepared as teacher333 said.
    I made a rainy day supply binder.
    It had materials and time fillers for all ages.
    I started a list of things that i would have or do to prepare for my first classroom.
    I watched how 'good' teachers behaved and carried themselves.
    I introduced myself to everyone and showed my positive attitude. :)

My second year I enjoyed this 'hunt', and took advantage of my days off.(my daughter was in school - the house was heavenly quiet!) ;)

Now I am in my third year. I have been on an LTO all year, so have been lucky to have my own class. :D
    BUT i still am not a permanent employee, and have to constantly re-apply. :(

After teaching Grade 9 and 10 English for a semester, I consider myself lucky for not having been thrown in full time right out of Fac. Ed. - I can't speak for anyone else, but I was NOT ready.

But I WILL be permanent some day, and for now enjoy the flexibility of supply teaching. I don't have a job for the fall. If I don't secure another LTO, Ii am going to get my Senior qualifications, and train (running) on my days off!

REMEMBER - you WILL be a permanent teacher in time. I am well liked, and since my second year have worked every day if i chose to. I have just not been in the right place at the right time. (And i switched from elementary to secondary)
    Enjoy now. I remind myself that one day down the road, i will look back longingly at my supply teaching and the flexibility of it!!

Good luck,
    Naan

9. teachmemath

teachmemath Companion

Jun 7, 2005

Keep your head up Canadianteacher. In time everything will fall into place.
    I was in the same position as you. I graduated with my masters in Ed in Dec. 2002 and it is now i am starting my first year of teaching in August. I've applied and interview for jobs and I had no luck. I never lost confidence because i knew i would find a teaching job. It was that those jobs I applied for weren't right for me. I was in NY at the time and it had to take for me to relocate to find a teaching job and even then it was touch and go. Because i went to a career fair here in NC and I had no offers. I had to find other means so I called human resources at the district and asked for vacancies and from there I sent out cover letters and i got 3 interviews and then I was offered a job from one of those 3 interviews I had. Keep the faith Canadianteacher. The right school is out there for you and they are going to want you. I will keep you in my prayers.

10. teach123

teach123 Cohort

Jun 8, 2005

It is so good to know we are not alone. I have been so discouraged at times too because I didn't get the job I really wanted, but I am going to keep working at keeping up to date on things and hopefully a teaching position will come in time. I am hoping it doesn't take too much time since I am an "older" teacher.

11. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jun 8, 2005

VShirk: I think being older may be a plus. When I went to interview for the position I ultimately accepted, I was told that out of a stack of hundreds of resumes, one of the things that made mine unique was my prior job experience and my age. Good luck.

12. CanadianTeacher

CanadianTeacher Groupie

Jun 8, 2005

Thanks for all your words of encouragement - it really does help. It's hard to remain positive when nothing ever comes easy (it would be nice if it would just once in a while, lol) but, on the other hand, I know that having to work hard for what you attain is the ultimate in building character. I just get tired sometimes. It's been a long road and I just want to be seeing the results of my hard work. Also, it would be great to just continue with professional development and take more courses, but realistically, I just can't do it unless I am working and making money. Here in Canada, the courses are $800.00 each. However, I am collecting resources anytime I see them and filing them away in organized binders (one for every subject). My most valuable resource is my 12 year old daughter who is quite the academic and is blessed with excellent teachers.

13. lolo2

lolo2 Rookie

Jun 16, 2005

it's nice to know i'm not alone

i just had my first interview today (after graduating in december) and i think it just went okay (i was just sooo nervous and am mad at myself for it. the interview meant so much to me and i doubt i'll get another one this year because the job situation is so poor in michigan too). it made me feel better to read this posting and replies because it reminded me that it will just take time, that we aren't in it alone and even if i am older, there's a chance. i wish you the best of luck in your job search and let us know how it all turns out!

14. CanadianTeacher

CanadianTeacher Groupie

Jun 16, 2005

Same to you. Sometimes all we need is some positive energy to get us through the rough spots. Good luck to you. :love:

15. cinmcl61

cinmcl61 Rookie

Jun 17, 2005

I just didn't think it would be this difficult to get a job. For years we kept hearing of teacher shortages. I went back to school at the age of 40 and graduated in 2 years and 7 months (I had about 8 classes that transferred). Sometimes I feel my age (43) is a problem and the principals want all the younger teachers. Then I think my life expereinces should count for something. I just can't wait for the day I hear "You're hired!" Where is Donald Trump when you need him?

16. CanadianTeacher

CanadianTeacher Groupie

Jun 17, 2005

I hear ya! Good luck in your search. :)

17. teach123

teach123 Cohort

Jun 17, 2005

I feel the same way!!