Soon to be English Teacher.....Scared

Discussion in 'Secondary Education Archives' started by dehabel, Feb 17, 2005.

1. dehabel

dehabel Rookie

Feb 17, 2005

Hi All,

I am new to the board and I need some help/advice/maybe just an ear to listen. I am graduating in July with a degree in English and I am scared to death about teaching. I don't want to fail any of these kids who need me, I am confused about whether to teach High School English where I really want to be or teach at the Elementary level where my own children are, and I have an interview for the Fall on Monday.

I have wanted to be a teacher for so many years and I am so close, but with each day I get more and more terrified that I am not going to be able to give these kids what they need. I want to provide a safe place for them to fall and to learn.

YIKES!!!!

Does anyone think this is early for a principal to want to talk to me? There is not even a job posted but when I emailed him, he had his secretary contact me to set up an appointment. I used to think the worst thing that could happen was to finish school and not get a job, now I am thinking the worst thing would be to actually get a job!

Oh well, I have blabbed enough.

I hope I hear from someone soon.

Chrissy :eek:

3. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Feb 17, 2005

It's new, and unknown, and that is why you are scared. We all were scared at first.

If you "really want to be" at the high school level, go for it. Your kids will not be in elementary school all their lives, you know.

And, while it's impossible NOT to be scared at first, I think you will love teaching English. I did it for 26 years at the middle level and loved every minute of it. The actual teaching, that is. And I'm still loving it at the college level.

I think English teachers are a very special breed. We're a little bit crazy, and we LOVE our subjects so much, it just has to rub off on our students a little bit. You won't fail your students. Only they can fail themselves.

Good luck! I think you'll do wonderfully.

4. dehabel

dehabel Rookie

Feb 17, 2005

Thanks. I feel like such a freak being so nervous. I suppose if I wasn't really nervous, than I wouldn't really care.

Chrissy

5. Elizabeth

Elizabeth Guest

Feb 17, 2005

My 19-year-old cousin Jennifer is studying English and wants to be an English teacher at the high school level, but she's nowhere near completion yet.

I commend you for teeaching English. Good English is important and gets a person really far in the working world. If you want to realy teach high school then go for it! :cool:

6. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Feb 17, 2005

go for it

Just dropping by to wish you the very best. Our school is taking applications and interviews are being planned. Petunia in Kansas....

7. litlmama

litlmama Comrade

Feb 18, 2005

It's definitely not too early to hear about jobs for next year. We already had to put in for whether or not we will be back next year.

High School English definitely. At the elementary level you won't be teaching the kind of English you want to teach. Plus there is nothing like working with teenagers. As for letting them down, you won't. There have been kids that I thought I had let slip through the cracks who come back to me as seniors telling me they are going to graduate and they never thought they would be able to make it through high school until they had my class. When I remind them that I failed them the story gets even more weird!!

If you ever need activities for Romeo and Juliet let me know... This far in I have them growing out my ears!! ;)

Relax and have fun. Good luck! Get the job!

8. dehabel

dehabel Rookie

Feb 18, 2005

Thanks for all of the support, I feel a bit better already....now to figure out what to wear.

Chrissy ;)

9. litlmama

litlmama Comrade

Feb 18, 2005

Teacher clothes of course!! Good luck!;)

10. flasunshine

flasunshine Rookie

Feb 21, 2005

Well, well...you found us after all! Aren't these people encouraging?! They helped me out a great deal and I'm glad they are helping you!

Hope your interview went well! I'll talk to you soon about it!

Leslie :love: :love: :p

11. sdhudgins

sdhudgins Comrade

Feb 21, 2005

just dress in "business attire" .. at least that's what I find MEN administrators have responded to better.

I'm thinking teach at the level you want to be at. I'm music and have been lucky enough to experience K-12 band, choir, gen music, and jazz band.... I KNOW which I prefer from experience now! I don' t think that's really an option in most subject areas!
    I'm suprised you're gonna be able to pick an area this late...

And.. schools start looking at good applicants early, or they're stuck picking from what is "left"

12. dehabel

dehabel Rookie

Feb 23, 2005

Hi All,

I posted a reply last night, but I guess I did it wrong.

The interview went fabulous, I think I will be there in the Fall. All of the support and kind words were very helpful!!!

I wore a great pair of shoes, I think that helped : ;) : Plaid wool skirt with a kick pleat and a cream colored turtle neck.

It will be Freshman, two English honors classes and one something different.

I am very excited and I can't wait until he has all his numbers so I can hopefully get a contract. He spoke to me for one hour and twenty minutes -- a lot of time for a principal to spend with someone. Or at least I thought so.

Have a happy day all!
    C :angel:

13. litlmama

litlmama Comrade

Feb 23, 2005

Congratulations! I love 9th graders. Let me know if you need any help, guidance, commisseration, or lesson plan ideas. I've been teaching 9th grade for quite awhile and it's nice to brainstorm and bounce ideas.

It had to be the shoes!! ;)

14. dehabel

dehabel Rookie

Feb 23, 2005

thanks! I would love to bounce ideas back and forth. Ever since Monday I have nightmares that I don't pass the rest of my classes and don't graduate.... Why are we soooooooooooo hard on ourselves????