Soon to be a new teacher

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by hopefulval, Nov 25, 2009.

1. hopefulval

hopefulval New Member

Nov 25, 2009

I will be graduating in December, and I am in the process of getting my resume and portfolio done. I have no experience working with children before student teaching, so I don't have anything relevant to put on my resume'. I am struggling whether I should just send in my old resume' template with my past jobs on it, or should I create a new resume' which outlines my educational philosophy and student teaching experiences? Also I have been required as part of my student teaching to create an electronic portfolio...I am not sure what I need to put on it exactly, and what is the best way to create one? Please help!!!!!!!

3. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

Nov 25, 2009

I'd say do both. You should have your educational philosophy and experience (student teaching) on there, but you should also put your past work experience. Good luck! :D

4. hoku625

hoku625 Rookie

Nov 26, 2009

I was in exactly your position a few years ago... I created a new resume that focused on education but included prior work experiences that highlighted jobs that highlighted job experiences that would benefit me in the classroom. For example, being an office manager because I had to manage people, organize, etc.

When I went for my interview (I was lucky, I was hired by the first principal I interviewed with), he asked about the other jobs because all the other first year teachers had similar student teaching experiences. You want your resume to set you apart from everyone else so if your past work experience will do that, be sure to include that information.

5. wrice

wrice Habitué

Nov 26, 2009

Yes, I'd also suggest you do both on your resume. Be heavy on ed philosophy and what your student teaching has taught you. Be brief on your previous jobs but list skills you acquired that benefit teaching (When flipping burgers I learned to be a team player and remain calm and organized under time pressure.)

I'd start an electronic portfolio as a big Word document. My thoughts are that when you make a good lesson plan, copy it into that Word document. Subsequent pages might have the worksheets, readings, and student samples that would accompany that lesson. You can hyperlink in relevant websites you or the kids would use. If you write a paper on a particular classroom management style, copy it into that Word document. As you fill in pages, organize them and make a table of contents. When you are confident you have a good mix of professional-looking things, print the Word document to an Adobe pdf file and be ready to share it with potential employers. A neatly bound copy would be nice too. Just my thoughts.

Best of luck to you in this exciting time of your life!

6. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Nov 28, 2009

There are some great books with examples of different resume formats for people with different amounts of experience and other needs. Get ahold of one (I love the Dummies series) and see what it suggests for a career newbie. Good luck!

7. MrsSweet

MrsSweet New Member

Nov 29, 2009

As others have suggested, include both educational experience, as well as other experience in your resume.

I included a "mini-portfolio" with my cover letter and resume. I included my philosophy of education, a sampling of my student teaching unit (unit web/outline, lesson, etc, cooperating teacher review, university supervisor review, and my own review of the unit), a couple good letters of recommendation. I think it helped to set me a part some. At least they could have some way of picking me out of a stack of hundreds of resumes :)

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 29, 2009

Go up to the top of the screen to the "Search" feature.

Type in "resume sample."

You'll see lots of sample resumes, along with comments on them-- the comments are probably at least as helpful as the actual sample resumes.

9. teach2read10

teach2read10 Companion

Nov 29, 2009

Stand Out

Because you will be competing against so many other new teachers for positions, use you non-educational background to help you stand out. Try to make sure how your prior jobs will make you a better teacher. Good Luck!

10. Elm512

Elm512 Companion

Nov 29, 2009

Hi there,
    I am in the same exact position as you! Literally, I graduate in December and I also have to have an electronic profile. If it's required for graduation, haven't they outlined for you what they expect it to look like/ contain? I have a rubric of exactly what's needed in mine, I'll share with you:
    A brief personal biography

Resume

Updated philosophy of teaching

Teacher work sample (This was a 2-4 week unit we taught)

1. Complete a cover page that includes the following items:

a. Name

b. Date submitted

c. Grade level taught

d. Subject(s) taught

e. University

2. Provide a table of contents with page numbers and lists of the sections and attachments in your TWS document. Putting tabs in your portfolio using “Tab Navigation” will meet the requirement of providing a table of contents.

3. Include sections 1–6 of the TWS.

4. Include two sample lesson plans from the TWS.

5. Include all applicable tables, graphs, charts, and assessment instruments required as part of the TWS document.

6. Provide other relevant attachments, such as student work. You should be very selective and make sure your attachments provide clear, concise evidence of your performance related to TWS Standards and your students’ learning progress.

7. Cite references in a separate section called “References and Credits” in APA format.

I hope this helps! I already got a job in Title I that I'm starting on the 7th (complete ST on the 4th), but I'll be interviewing along with everyone else this spring. I want to be in a reg. ed classroom SO bad!

11. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Dec 1, 2009

I have nothing new to add to this, except I wish you well and best of luck.