Son's 19th Birthday--help!

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by MrsC, Nov 8, 2009.

1. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Nov 8, 2009

It's Alex's 19th birthday at the end of the month and I'm stuck as to what to get for him. He is, perhaps, the least materialistic person I know; as long as his basic needs are met, he's happy. He has a fairly new cell phone and Mp3, got a new ski jacket last year and isn't "into" clothes at all. I asked him if he had any ideas, and, like usual, the response was, "No". He got lots of gift cards--restaurants, movies, etc--for Christmas last year, so I'd like to do something a little different. I think I'm going to order him a specialty cake and have it delivered to his university residence, but can't get any further than that. He won't be home on the weekend of his birthday; as he'll have reached the legal drinking age, I sense a night out with friends. If anyone has any ideas to pass along, I'd be eternally grateful.

3. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Nov 8, 2009

We are getting my 19y/o a Garmin GPS for Christmas. My 23 y/o daughter has one and loves it. I think it will something he'll love as well as being practical.
    If he doesn't have a car I guess it wouldn't be too practical!:lol:

4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Nov 8, 2009

He doesn't have a car (yet), although we did keep our old van for him to drive around town. Once he finishes his co-op work term in April, I suspect a car may be in his future.

5. tenndon

tenndon Rookie

Nov 8, 2009

Maybe you could arrange for transportation for him and his friends on the night of his birthday. Kind of like a hired designated driver.

6. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Nov 8, 2009

Hmmm, I like that idea. I know they won't be driving, but a limo would definitely be more fun than the city bus!

7. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Nov 8, 2009

That made me laugh out loud, Mrs.C!

My mom did that for my sweet sixteen--got a limo to take me and my friends to a fancy restaurant for dinner.

A limo would definitely make it a night to remember (hopefully:p) for him and his friends. Especially if he doesn't care too much about "things," a great experience would be a good gift.

If not for that night, are there other things he might like to do that you could arrange?

8. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 8, 2009

I like the limo. I also like the GPS - it's not like the portable kind has to be in One Particular Car.

9. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Nov 8, 2009

The limo may be great for his birthday, and a GPS for Christmas...

10. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Nov 8, 2009

How about a care package for college? Homemade goodies for the week?

11. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Nov 9, 2009

That's a given--I send off a parcel every month and my mom sends him homemade cookies every month. I wish there was a way to send his favourite dinner--cheese tortellini, ceasar salad and garlic bread--through the mail!

12. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 9, 2009

It's probably incredibly expensive, but how about a season's pass at his favorite ski site? Or a couple of day's worth of lift tickets?

13. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Nov 9, 2009

Great minds, Alice. I spent some time this morning looking into the cost of a couple of days at a resort in Quebec, probably too expensive, but a season's pass somewhere closer to home might be worth it. We have a couple that are an easy hour drive, but they are fairly small and he gets bored with that easily. There's another a couple of hours drive, but since he'll be based at home most of the winter, it's a possibility. Off to do some quick searching before our first meeting of the day--we have a Professional Development Day today.

14. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Nov 10, 2009

Okay, I think I may have found something. The small, local airport nearby offers 1 hour sightseeing tours on a small (4-seater) plane for a good price. You pay one price and can have up to 3 passenger, so he could take a couple of buddies up with him. He'd have a blast and it is something he would never do for himself.

15. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Nov 10, 2009

Sounds really cool, MrsC!

16. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Nov 10, 2009

That sounds like an awesome plan, MrsC!

17. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Nov 10, 2009

I had forgotten we did that for one of our sons on his 18th birthday and he loved it. Fun!