Songs that make you cry...

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by lilmisses1014, May 30, 2009.

1. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

May 30, 2009

I am an emotional person who does cry easily, but I don't think I've ever heard a song that made me cry. (Okay, I do get a lump in my throat when I hear the National Anthem.) Tonight, though, I heard this song called "Address in the Stars" on the radio. When I was looking into downloading it, I came across the website for it and read the personal stories from visitors to the site. Then I started thinking about loved ones of mine that have passed away and I had a hard time stopping myself from crying.

Anyway, here is the website--- it's a beautiful song:
    www.addressinthestars.com

It also made me wonder: what other songs make people cry?

3. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

May 30, 2009

Dance With My Father

You're Still Here

4. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

May 30, 2009

"I'M PROUD TO BE AN AMERICAN!"

"Oh Beautiful For Spacious Skies"

"We Are The World"

Rebel1

5. yarnwoman

yarnwoman Cohort

May 30, 2009

Alan Jackson's new song "Sissy's Song"

6. Major

Major Connoisseur

May 30, 2009

Well lil' m, that song got to me.... and yes I cried (inside).. There were so many heart felt comments... one of which was this:

"Hug tighter, laugh louder and love deeper"

My wife is my life....... If something happened to her and I couldn't hear her voice again.... then I simply wouldn't make it...

Major.......:hugs:

7. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 30, 2009

Who You'd Be Today by Kenny Chesney. It was hard when my mom died, but it became almost unbearable to listen to after I lost my dd#2.

8. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

May 30, 2009

Lots of songs make me cry, but during this time of year (as we approach the 4th of July), two of them really get to me:

The Battle Hymn of the Republic, especially the middle section where it slows dramatically and just the men sing a capella the lines:
    In the beauty of the lilies Christ was born across the sea,
    With a glory in His bosom that transfigures you and me:
    As He died to make men holy, let us die to make men free,
    While God is marching on.

Ashokan's Farewell The music alone is beautiful, but Ken Burns read Sullivan Ballou's final letter to his wife over it in the Civil War series, and I can't hear it now without hearing that letter.

These are two pieces that my community band usually performs every year. I always cry when we perform them.

9. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

May 30, 2009

Oh, I forgot about that one!! That is a sad song!

:hugs:

10. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

May 30, 2009

I was thinking that about my husband, too. It's hard to imagine something happening to either of us when we're both young and haven't been married that long (less than 3 years)... but anything can happen at any time.

11. nattles19

nattles19 Comrade

May 31, 2009

My history teacher in high school made us watch this segment in class - I definitely cried! It was the good kind of cry, though, if you know what I mean. :)

12. CanadianTeacher

CanadianTeacher Groupie

May 31, 2009

Alyssa Lies by Jason Michael Carroll...It's a song about child abuse and it's very sad.

13. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

May 31, 2009

Daddy's Hands by the Judds-I'm tearing up just thinking about it.

My dad sang in a barbershop type group, only gospel. Any of the songs they sang bring back old memories that I just can't handle, even now almost 15 years after he died.

Also, Garth Brooks' The River. It was played at a cousin's funeral.

14. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

May 31, 2009

Please Remember Me by Tim McGraw

They played it at my grandma's funeral years ago. I avoid it because I will instantly cry.

I am not a big crier, so it is strange...

15. glen

glen Companion

May 31, 2009

During the holiday season, "Christmas Shoes". I have to change the station when it comes on. Otherwise it's "Wind Beneath My Wings"- its the song I danced with my father with at my wedding. For a long time after he died, I couldn't even listen to it.

16. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

May 31, 2009

OK, I'm going out on a limb here and exposing a part of my emotional teenage self from back in the day. I'm not a crier at all, not movies or songs or anything really, so this is kind of strange for me.

When I was in highschool I had an enormous crush on a guy that was older than me. Even though I knew I didn't have even the tiniest chance of every being with him, I just couldn't stop myself from falling. And even though I knew I didn't have even a Powerball chance of being with him, I was devastated when reality hit me in the face. I think I saw him with another girl on the street or something. Anyway, Def Leapord's "Have You Ever Needed Someone So Bad" was on the radio and I just lost it-had to pull over while I bawled my eyes out for this guy. Everytime I hear that song, even now, I still get choked up because it put into words EXACTLY what I was feeling.

17. Kase

Kase Companion

May 31, 2009

"Please Don't Take the Girl" by Tim McGraw, "There Goes My Life" by Kenny Chesney

I'm thinking of more but they're not coming through to my fingers! They're right there on the tip of my brain. Grrrr

18. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

May 31, 2009

That is such a simple but beautiful song.

19. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

May 31, 2009

Several of the songs mentioned already also get me. Pearl Jam's remake of "Last Kiss" just kills me. It is far superior to the original, which I don't usually find to be true of remakes.

20. scholarteacher

scholarteacher Connoisseur

May 31, 2009

I know there's some I can't remember the name of but I know them when I hear them! I'm the same way about Christmas Shoes, and Happy Birthday, Jesus! And I Won't Last a Day Without You by the Carpenters. Yeah, I'm getting old!

21. mrsleapfrog

mrsleapfrog Companion

May 31, 2009

Wind Beneath My Wings - by Bette Middler - makes me think of my mom who passed away 13 years ago.

22. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

May 31, 2009

There are too many to list, but my high school's Alma Mater, The Star Spangled Banner, Tim McGraw's If your reading this?. The Tim mcGraw song came out when my husband was in Iraq the second time. I'm not sure why I cry at my high school alma mater,but I cry every Friday night during football season when the band plays it. Oh and then the one that really makes me cry is called Forever Autumn. It was written and performed by the lead singer of the Moody Blues for a project called War of the Worlds. The song is about a love that has "died". My Dad wants it played at his funeral as well as I do too. Makes me tear up as I am writing about it.

23. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

May 31, 2009

I cry everytime I hear Amazing Grace played by a bagpiper at a firefighter funeral.

If You're Reading This, Wind Beneath My Wings, and a song written by the worship leader at my church "You Wait" always make me tear up too.

24. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

May 31, 2009

any song about love...it sucks...

i have to change the station to something else...anything else...which is hard cause many songs are about relationships

25. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

May 31, 2009

I think the song is called "Cowgirls Don't Cry," where as her father is dying he tells her daughter again that cowgirls don't cry and a couple of other country songs that I can't think of right now.

26. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

May 31, 2009

Proud to be an American
    Cinderella
    How Can I Keep from Singing Your Praise (Chris Tomlin)
    When I Finally Make it Home (don't know if that's the title-but its about a man who sees his dad in heaven. It was playing on the radio when I drove to the hospital after my dad had a heart attack. This was about 2 months ago and I still get that nervous, scared, teary feeling when I hear it.I do like the song, though)

27. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

May 31, 2009

Too many to mention-I am very emotional. However, these top my list:
    When I get where I'm Going-Brad Paisley
    If your Reading This, I'm already Home-Tim McGraw
    Live like You are Dying- Tim McGraw
    Amazing Grace on the bagpipes
    Daddy's Hands-Holly Dunn
    Proud to be An American-Lee Greenwood

28. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

May 31, 2009

Cowgirls Don't Cry is a great song. There are so many country songs that make me cry (good thing I'm not a cowgirl). There's one by Brad Paisley, I think it's When I get Where I'm Going, that gets me too.

29. AMK

AMK Aficionado

May 31, 2009

Amazing Grace
    Here I am Lord
    On Eagle Wings

All get me choked up

30. maroki

maroki Comrade

May 31, 2009

Sometimes I don't even have to hear the songs to start tearing up; I've started tearing up reading some of the songs listed on this thread!

I cry a lot during songs, some of them listed previously:

How Do I Live - LeAnn Rimes (played during a funeral I attended in HS and I cry whenever I hear it now)

When I Get Where I'm Going - Brad Paisley

Because You Loved Me - Celine Dion (my father/daughter dance at our wedding)

31. blessedhands

blessedhands Comrade

Jun 1, 2009

This use to be my playground

~Madonna

32. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

Jun 1, 2009

I, too, love "Ashokan Farewell". We were in Gettysburg this summer and I bought the soundtrack from Ken Burn's Cvil War series just for that song. It is so beautiful it touches me each time I hear it.

Also, "Going Home" an old song that is often played at funerals. If I am not mistaken, it has a Czech backround, which is my heritage. My Mom, who is frail and ill, always says she wants it played at her funeral and I tear up just thinking about it. It also has such a beautiful, wistful melody.

33. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Jun 1, 2009

I'm not very religious...but when I hear O Holy Night...it gets to me

34. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jun 2, 2009

This one doesn't make me cry, but it is a wonderful song. In fact it is one of my favorite Madonna songs. I'm not an enormous fan of Madonna, but this is one of her best in my opinion. The movie it is from is a favorite of mine as well.

35. HP_Bug

HP_Bug Rookie

Jun 2, 2009

I'm shaking my fist at you glen! I just started thinking about that song (Wind Beneath My Wings) and my dad and how he really is my hero. I'm getting married in October and it took me a long time to pick the song to which I would dance with him. I mulled over "I Loved Her First" by Heartland, but I think it would make my dad cry and I really could not handle that.

My dad was in the Army for 25 years and served in both Iraq wars, Kosovo, Bosnia, and led the Hurricane Katrina relief effort. He was permanently disabled after 4 years in Iraq the second time around. So anything military-related gets me. Two that I avoid unless I'm looking for a good cry are "Arlington" by Trace Adkins and "Already There" by Lonestar, the version with the messages from home inserted. Even though my dad is safe and well, living on a ranch and enjoying life, I can't help but think of how he'll never be the same, about my friends who were blown up and burned beyond recognition, the father of the little boy I baby sat in high school never walking again...yeah. Got myself all worked up there.

PS - My dad and I are doing a choreographed dance to "Footloose". It just seemed more "us" :)

36. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jun 2, 2009

You're going to miss this - Trace Adkins
    Here's come Goodbye (especially after seeing the video) - Rascal Flatts
    Tears In Heaven - Eric Clapton
    Just think of me and i'll be there - Escape Club
    Grandpa Told me So - Kenny Chesney. Played at my gpas funerals!!!
    The Dance - Garth Brooks

You mentioned
    -Lay me down & Live like you were dying & Don't take the girl - Even more heartbreaking live. When we took my neighbor to see Tim Mcgraw, I seriously was crying when Don't take the Girl was sung. I get tears for the others.
    -Wind Beneath my Wings - still can't listen to it because a friend passed & this was played at her funeral over 17 years ago. I stil turn the channel....It was this friends fav song.
    -National Anthem- I get goose bumps everytime & now my lil one whenever we hear it stops & puts hand over heart!!!

37. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Jun 2, 2009

"Going Home" is the Largo from Dvorak's New World Symphony. Back in the olden days, elementary school children were taught most of the famous classical melodies by giving them simple lyrics, catchy and easy to remember. Most old people now know more classical music than they realize, because a lot of their simple little grade school songs were actually famous classical arias.

38. brigidy

brigidy Comrade

Jun 3, 2009

"Where've You Been" by Kathy Mattea.
    I even cry when I describe what the song is about.

39. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Jun 3, 2009

I absolutely love this song!! It reminds me of my grandparents!!!!!

40. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 3, 2009

Oh, yes, Tears in Heaven...forgot that one!

41. Mrs. Q

Mrs. Q Cohort

Jun 3, 2009

A lot of songs have made me cry in the past, but ones that have a lasting effect:
    "Daddy's Hands" by Holly Dunn. I can remember being a little girl and thinking that the song reminded me of my dad. When I was 16, he passed away and I had that song played at his funeral. My half-sister (who I barely know) was there that day, and she told me that she too had always thought it sounded just like him. I can't even listen to it without thinking of him, and that was 7 years ago.
    Also "I Will Remember You" by Sarah McLachlan. This played during a Natalie Portman movie (can't remember the name) that I saw with my dad. I had it played at his funeral as well.

And then, almost any sad military song - "Arlington," "If You're Reading This" and a lot of other more independent songs. My husband served in Iraq and lost two of his good friends there - and has never been the same since. I went to one of their memorials - I hear their final roll call and the 21-gun salute every time I hear those songs.