Son with FASD

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by AZ Adoptive Momma of 2, Sep 19, 2021.

1. AZ Adoptive Momma of 2

AZ Adoptive Momma of 2 Rookie

Sep 19, 2021

Hey all, my 12 year old adopted son is in sixth grade and his FASD is starting to greatly impact him and isolate him from his peers. I had a meeting on Friday, and found out he's acting out because his peers are starting to distance themselves from him because his behavior, academics, and maturity cannot keep up with them. I am also a school teacher at the same school and know the kids he's grown up with. My heart is breaking for him!!

Does anyone have any advice on how to handle these social situations at school? I teach the younger grades and am clueless. He is my oldest and I'm a single mom, so not only am I navigating alone, but for the first time as well.

https://formedfamiliesforward.org/resource_category/fetal-alcohol-spectrum-disorders/

Last edited: Sep 19, 2021
  3. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Sep 20, 2021

Oh, this is such a rough place for you and yours! I have known adults with FASD who learned to cope by having immense street smarts, but that is something that would come with time. Can you look into getting your son an IEP or a 504? This is something you should discuss with your son's teacher. The 504 may be easier since this is a health impairment, but you may be able to gain additional services if and when he needs it.

Being a teacher and a parent is difficult. Being a teacher with your own child in your school is a gauntlet! I say this having attending high school where BOTH of my parents taught. The good news is that we all survived this and still love each other.

4. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Sep 24, 2021

That’s an age when a lot of peer groups reorganize themselves, too. Hopefully he can find his people. If he qualifies for a 504 or IEP for the behavior issues, the friends may come along as behaviors improve.