Somewhere out there (work in another state)

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by panjteacher, Jul 15, 2013.

1. panjteacher

panjteacher Rookie

Jul 15, 2013

I tried to post this yesterday but I don't believe it posted.
    Longer story shorter: Worked in business for years, went back for NJ Alternate route certs 7 years back, worked as an ed assistant and sub but didn't find perm work, son was born, stayed at home and went back for tradition route certs in grad program while I took care of him and wife worked in her career. Now finding the job market tougher in NJ and PA after searching for two years in the greater Phila/ Southern NJ area.
    I have a BA in Communication (useless), Master of Journalism (semi useless but lots of writing courses) and MS Education. PA Cert in Elem Ed, English (middle and high), ESL and Instructional Tech. NJ Highly Qualified Elem Ed, Middle School Language Arts, ESL.

I have lurked on this site for years and have loved the interview info and help that the teachers here give each other.
    I have subbed constantly and made friends and networked with P, admins, even some Superintendents, have interviewed several times in the last year (since I student taught) and have come up empty again. I am a 40 year old guy with a family and no pension.
    My wife can work from home (health industry) and thinks we should relocate to another part of the country where they "need" people like me. We are suburban people from Ohio and NJ but would need to leave the PA/NJ area for her company to offer her teleworking position or perhaps find another company. We have a 4 year old ready for K soon.

Any of you out there see the need where you are? I saw the San Antonio post the other day and we have considered somewhere like WV. We are, of course, walking the shallow path of trying to find affordable housing, outside of a place which would be bad to raise a kid.

3. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 15, 2013

Wow, you have lots of qualifications. Do you feel that the market where you live is just dried up or over-supplied? I live in south Florida and wouldn't really recommend this area. I'm sure others will have more useful advice. Welcome to AtoZ.

4. panjteacher

panjteacher Rookie

Jul 15, 2013

Thank you. From commiserating with other teachers and admins I know, I hear there can be a thousand or so emails or applitrac apps put on for some of the area elementary jobs (I have subbed in Cherry Hill, Voorhees and Evesham Township, some of the most desired areas...very close to me and my child's preschool). I have tried for long term and short term etc and they all want me back to sub again full time. I believe there simply may be a glut of teachers in the area and in some places like the area charters in the "rough" areas, I have heard they don't seem to want to recruit local suburban recruits as it seems to turn into a turnstile of people getting sick of the conditions and leaving. They seem to find more success with younger out of state Teach for America or Troops to Teachers. I have applied for all of these places and the roughest don't even invite me in for an interview.

5. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

Jul 15, 2013

Even places like Newark and Camden?

6. MsDouglas

MsDouglas Rookie

Jul 15, 2013

I would apply to different states. I found 2 years ago that there were no jobs for an entry level teacher so I applied out of state. I ended up moving 2 states away. I'm one of those young fresh out of school people though.

If you are willing to move, I don't see the harm in researching other states and areas. Some of the application systems make it really easy to apply. A lot of schools will do Skype or phone interviews for the initial interview. Good luck.

7. panjteacher

panjteacher Rookie

Jul 15, 2013

I have been applying in Camden for years, Trenton too. Newark is not drivable from where I am.

To MsDouglas:

That is what I am talking about.

8. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

Jul 15, 2013

Do they still consider them Abbott districts? My wife once was immediately hired on the spot for something and she left after a day because the conditions were not very ideal.

9. Geauxtee

Geauxtee Comrade

Jul 15, 2013

I would recommend Houston. There are lots of outlying suburban towns that are low cost to live in and great for raising kids.

I am not saying it's a walk in the park to find a teaching job, but the market is better than the northeast/Ohio for sure. Here is the link I used when I was looking for jobs there.

http://www.esc4.net/default.aspx?name=hr.emp_map_links

10. panjteacher

panjteacher Rookie

Jul 15, 2013

I think that is an issue. Would I try? Sure. But perhaps they see hiring somebody "newish" as a waste of time, waiting for me to fail or the situation to scare me off. Whenever I went to job fairs, I would find the empty tables and head there first, sure enough, tons of charters and urban schools.

11. GermanTeacher89

GermanTeacher89 Rookie

Jul 15, 2013

I don't know if you've looked into Chester county PA, but I've seen a lot of postings in that area. Have you looked on www.pareap.net or www.teachinginpa.com ? I know you're really only looking in the Philadelphia area, but I'm sure you'll find a couple of postings on there.

12. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 15, 2013

I live in Central Florida and checked the school districts in this area today. Orange County has 179 jobs posted. Osceola County has 152 jobs. Seminole County has 41 jobs. Polk County has more than 180 positions posted.

13. panjteacher

panjteacher Rookie

Jul 15, 2013

I have been listed with PAREAP for years now. I interviewed for a position in Chester and they eliminated it (they are bankrupt) before the second interview.

14. GermanTeacher89

GermanTeacher89 Rookie

Jul 15, 2013

I private messaged you.

15. doodle70

doodle70 Companion

Jul 15, 2013

I would love to move to Central Florida, but DH is less than 5 years from retiring from the state here. :(

16. Mr.history

Mr.history Cohort

Jul 15, 2013

17. panjteacher

panjteacher Rookie

Jul 15, 2013

I am currently very deep into the other thread pertaining to Texas jobs. It is all very exciting.

18. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 15, 2013

Hugs to you! I know how hard the job market is in this area...it's never been easy. The two years I searched for a job I applied to everything from the Trenton area to Salem. I'm sorry to say that our area is notorious for being hard to get a job. :( I don't have any real advice, just wanted to say I totally understand how you are feeling.

19. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Jul 16, 2013

Elementary positions for Chester County public schools probably get 2000-3000 applications. Also, most elementary positions on PA Reap are for charter schools, not public, at least that's been my observation over the past month or so. Same with ESL positions, mostly charter schools in Philly. Not saying the poster should avoid charter schools, just wanted to share my observations about PA Reap and the elementary positions I've noticed on it.

20. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Jul 16, 2013

It's a very tough area to get a teaching job in. If you're willing and able to relocate in order to teach, I say go for it!

21. schoolteacher

schoolteacher Habitué

Jul 16, 2013

Philly public schools are accepting applications for middle and high school English, as well as ESL.

22. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

Jul 16, 2013

Didn't Gov. Christie sign into law something that would help hire teachers or was it only restricted to STEM education?

23. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jul 16, 2013

Rural colorado is always pretty desperate for teachers. You can look even at places 2 hours outside of Denver and they have a hard time getting people. These wouldn't be "rough" areas to teach or live in my any means, it's just that most new teachers don't want to live that rurally. Personally I couldn't do it- I live in Denver and love it. I taught in the mountains for a few years and the schools were great but I hated living there. They typically only get about 5-10 applicants for each job, and my district wasn't near as rural as some other areas (eastern plains or the far west side of the state). If you don't mind the rural life it's worth looking into.

24. DKM

DKM Rookie

Jul 16, 2013

I also have family in PA and a fiance in medical school in Philly. I have been looking for a job in that state for four years and finally got interviews (would be placed in the top, but they would already have somebody else in mind). I am in the same field as you are.

Right now Philly is in the crapper. They LAID OFF 4K teachers/administration this year while the Obama administration gives $5 million federal aid to the city for their prison system. With 4K teachers laid off and being a higher priority to hire because of tenure... your chances with NJ and PA are very, very minimal. I met a 50+ year old teacher.... lost her job in PA and ended up going back to school for special ed because she can't find work as an English teacher within the state.

West Virginia had a lot of layoffs as well this past school year and teacher strikes. They're in no better shape either. I looked :(

Unfortunately you are going to have to relocate if you want to continue teaching. I'm looking at going back to school for IT because I am getting fed up with not being able to stay with a school past a year due to budget cuts. It has been a very demoralizing experience for me and I am emotionally worn out for having to look for a teaching job EVERY summer. Last school year I taught in North Carolina. School system was nice... but they are also losing money and have to lay off their teachers too. And they don't pay their teachers well either or offer pension like those school systems up in the North do :/

25. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 17, 2013

It was only for STEM teachers, and they need to still be in college (I think there are 5 colleges in the program) to get trained properly. They must promise to give 3 years of their career to certain high-needs areas like Camden, Newark, and Paterson.

26. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

Jul 17, 2013

Eeek.... We once drove through Camden by mistake but it was during the daytime. We were coming home from the Philly airport and somehow made a wrong turn? It was daytime but the streets still looked menacing!

27. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Jul 17, 2013

I'll just second the statement that Philly schools are in the crapper. Their budget is a mess. My hubby worked there for 10 years and has chosen to leave to return to his previous career in computer programming instead of dealing with the increased class size, lack of aids, lack of security personnel, massive pay cut, and all sorts of other things that have been proposed. All of his coworkers were envious when he was able to leave and wished they had a way out as well.

28. DKM

DKM Rookie

Jul 17, 2013

That's exactly why I am looking at switching careers to IT before it's too late, already married, and can't afford to go back to school. I found more job opportunities in IT than in teaching and all I need is experiences and an associates degree. With teaching... many schools prefer a master's that costs more and can also leave you jobless if states are slashing their teachers every year.

29. panjteacher

panjteacher Rookie

Jul 17, 2013

I went back for the grad degree (Master's), that's the biggest kick in the rear here. 70 k in debt later, I am lucky that my old districts keep inviting me back for sub work. Luckily my wife has a decent job otherwise I would not know what we would do. I think I am going to have to hit the road and check out one of these other states.