Sometimes they are a riot!

Discussion in 'Just for Laughs' started by Upsadaisy, Feb 19, 2003.

1. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Feb 19, 2003

On the lighter side of teaching, don't you just love it when they crack you up? Want to share some examples?

Today we were working on writing an essay entitled, "If I Were President." We generated five main ideas and were suggesting supporting details. One of the main ideas was, no more war. I asked for three supporting details. We wrote, fewer deaths, less money spent on arms. The third child called upon seemed at a loss for another idea until he came up with this one: less noise!!! Too cute.

3. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

Feb 19, 2003

4. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Feb 20, 2003

Well, it's funny looking back on it...

It's been warm (er) here in IL, so the snow is melting...which, of course, creates puddles the size of lakes on the playground. And of course, the more water, the more appealing it is for kids to play in it, even when specifically told not to play in or around it. This particular puddle happens to be underneath a piece of equipment that allows you to spin and then see how far you can jump (like a one-person merry-go-round but it's in the air)...

After having told them several times not to play there any more, they decided to do it anyway... well, the one girl (who usually follows directions very well) falls right in the imddle of the puddle... soaking her socks and shoes in the COLD water...

She hobbled over to the bench, complaining the whole time that her feet were cold and how they were probably going to get frostbite and fall off (this is 2nd grade)... so I reminded her, "That's what happens when you play in the water after I told you not to," and she goes, "I'm just a kid, you know!"

amusing... now.

another funny tidbit (this one's shorter, i promise)... we have been studying farming, so I gave them the journal prompt, "If I lived on a farm, ..." one kid writes, "If I lived on a farm, I would grow candy."

LOL! :) Too cute.

5. teacherkasey

teacherkasey Cohort

Feb 20, 2003

This week we are studing the letter Y. I was having trouble coming up with ideas and I got the idea from another teacher to make the kids letter detectives. I took the Y's out of the alphabet floor puzzles, the Y stamp out of the letter stamps, and I wrote Y's on white paper with white crayons and the kids painted over it with watercolors and the Y's appear. When we were discussing this activity during morning meeting I was explaining the activities. The kids had a great time with this. Well, the kids somehow got the idea in their heads that someone snuck into our classroom and stole the puzzle pieces and stamps. They had a great time thinking of how the person got in... first the person came in and turned the lights on, then someone thought the person came in with a flashlight, and then the person put the things under a big hat so that if they saw anyone on the way out they wouldn't know he stole things from our room. Later in the day during snack, someone discovered footprints in the snow and that lead to a whole new group of theories about this person who stole our puzzle pieces!!!

My Kindergarteners love it when I write a silly morning message... I make mistakes and they correct it. Today when I wrote the date I wrote Febtember instead of February. One boy taped me on the knee and in all seriousness, whispered to me that it was February and that Febtember was not a real month. The look on his face was absolutely precious!!!!!:D

6. AngelaS

AngelaS Cohort

Feb 21, 2003

You may have noticed that when someone else shares something I like, I bring it to this board... well, here's another example! Just too funny to deprive you!

Posted by KindergartenGiggles:
    Our Kindergarten teacher has her hands full this year with a
    class with plenty of energy and personality. She recently
    spent the day home with an ill child and when she came back
    she asked them how they had behaved (awfully!!). One little
    boy responded, "I was a little bit good, and a whole lot
    bad." Then, the other day she pulled a little boy aside to
    discuss discipline problems with him. He comes from a home
    where he is treated as a little king. She asked him if he
    would ever behave the way he behaved in class if he were at
    home. He looked at her and said, "Oh please, Mrs. B., don't
    make me tell you the truth!"

Posted by just taking a break on 6/14/02

When my mommy was a little girl, Donatello was a
    painter (we were playing with Donatello the teenage
    mutant ninja turle)

It's not called cheating... it's called winning!

What do you mean they didn't have Barney when you
    were a kid? He's a dinosaur; he's been around for
    billions of years.

Davarius is calling me white! (the school was 90
    African American)

[Love this one]:
    When I was student teaching, a child clearly wanted to
    talk to me and my CT-- but then she backed away.
    When my CT turned around, she whispered in my ear "I
    was going to tell you I like you better than Mrs. Jones,
    but then I remembered my manners".

I used to be good at baseball when I was three-- but
    then I was 4, and you know your eye hand coordination
    gets worse as you get older.
    I told him "yeah, before you know it you'll hit the big
    zero-five and it's really all downhill from there".

(when I came into classes as a support teacher)
    I didn't particularly enjoy the class yesterday, and I don't
    think that you should come back.

I've had the craziest week with my boyfriend. (This was
    a first grader.)

My mommy told me that she's seen my daddy nekkid.

:D

Last edited: Feb 21, 2003
  7. Guest

Guest Guest

Feb 22, 2003

Last year, i assigned a book report. Spelling, grammar and mechanics were part of the grade. at the end of one student's book report, he wrote, "any mistakes were made purely for the teacher's enjoyment and amusement." it was so funny!

8. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Mar 2, 2003

I got this as an email, it was priceless... :)

Did you hear about the teacher who was helping one of her kindergarten students put on his boots? He asked for help and she could see why. With her pulling and him pushing, the boots still didn't want to go on.

When the second boot was on, she had worked up a sweat. She almost
    whimpered when the little boy said, "Teacher, they're on the wrong feet."

She looked and sure enough, they were. It wasn't any easier pulling the boots off than it was putting them on. She managed to keep her cool as together they worked to get the boots back on -- this time on the right feet.

He then announced, "These aren't my boots." She bit her tongue rather than get right in his face and scream, "Why didn't you say so?" like she wanted to.

Once again she struggled to help him pull the ill-fitting boots off. He then said, "They're my brother's boots. My Mom made me wear them."

She didn't know if she should laugh or cry. She mustered up the grace and courage she had left to wrestle the boots on his feet again.

She said, "Now, where are your mittens?" He said, "I stuffed them in the toes of my boots..."

9. Guest

Guest Guest

Mar 2, 2003

This just happened on Friday....,.my kids have been having a hard time sitting in chairs, so my new rule is if you cant use it correclty, you cant use it at all.....soooo during snack time there was a boyu out of his seat ..rather than saying anything to him, i just took this chair away...so when he returned to his seat he laguhed it off and got his chair and sat down. I walked overm, explained the rule and told him to stand up. This child thought i was kidding, ....so the little girl next to him said in a very matter of factly way "You better get up, she is so serious, if you dont get up you'll be in more trouble!" I almost died!

10. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Mar 3, 2003

he other day I was checking workbook pages of a 5th grader who had been absent for most of the instruction in writing detail paragraphs. I cracked up when I read his answer. He was to finish the first sentence, then add 3 or 4 more to complete a detail paragraph. Here is what he wrote:

"The most beautiful state is ........... the state of Alabama. Alabama is a very beautiful state. Alabama is a state I have not been to."

He is a great kid - but one who thinks on his own plane.

11. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Mar 3, 2003

Well, he picked the BEST state :) I should know... I live here... LOL!

Lori

12. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Mar 3, 2003

Ha ha ha !!! I will tell him, Lori.