Sometimes it pays to tick them off!

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by ChristyF, Dec 12, 2005.

1. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Dec 12, 2005

We were in the middle of science when one of my kids came up and asked to go call his mom to bring him some stomach medicine. He had been fine 2 minutes before so I had my doubts, but we have a ton of kids out with the stomach virus so I told him fine, but he WAS NOT CALLING TO GO HOME. I wrote a note to the secretary and asked her to tell his mom not to check him out, just bring him medicine. Sure enough, he comes strolling back in telling me his mom is coming to check him out. I bit my tongue to keep from saying what I wanted to. I reminded him that he had been laughing 2 minutes before he went to call and he just shrugged. He wanted to go up front and wait but I wouldn't let him. His mom came a few minutes later, but they just said they needed him for a minute so I sent him to the office without his books. He came back 2 minutes later saying he was checking out. His mom came down with him and gave me a little wave. I told her I didn't think he was sick enough to go home. She said he had been having stomach problems for a long time and she knew how bad they hurt. I told her that he was laughing 2 minutes before he went to the office. I went on to tell her that we were having 3 unit tests this week and they were finishing their reading test and math lesson this week and that he didn't need to miss any more this week. I didn't smile at all even though she kept giving me the little "I'm sorry" smile. I was ticked. Well, about an hour later her shows back up. She said he was in the yard playing so she brought him back to school. She went on to say that the told him he wasn't to call home any more unless he was truly ill and that she would take him straight to the doctor if he called. I don't know if she will stick to it (she tends to baby him), but it was nice to see him walk back in. (Ok so it was really satisfying to see him coming back in. :D For a minute I had this wild notion to go nah nah at him! :D )

3. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Dec 12, 2005

That is just priceless. Bravo!

4. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Dec 13, 2005

Christy,
    I taught at a small schoool & subbed there for a couple of years before getting a job there. I have cousins that go to the school & the mom told the kids to come see me before they called home!!! They like the boy, sometimes fudge their illnesses!!! It was so funny, one time they called home w/out seeing me first and the mom said go see your cousin before you call me!!! I had to laugh!!!

Your story reminded me of them!!! Way to stick to your guns!!!!

5. phoebe611

phoebe611 Rookie

Dec 19, 2005

I love it!

I love it!!! You would think the parents would know their children and realize that many times they just want to go home and are not really ill. I'm so glad she brought him back to school! :)

6. kburen

kburen Cohort

Dec 20, 2005

I have a student who does something similar....He would ask every day to go to the nurse because his stomach hurt. One day after watching him laugh and joke all day I told him no because he'd been fine just a few minutes before. I watched him out the corner of my eye...He would look all sad and pathetic when I was watching and when he thought I wasn't looking he would laugh and joke and play with the classmates.

7. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Dec 20, 2005

It seems like there's so much more behind kids bumps, bruises and illnesses. Usually, all it takes is a little attention to cure -huh? I never ever got to go home sick when I was growing up- probably because mom and dad worked. Yes, I was a "latch-key" kid? Remember that? Do we still use that phrase?