Something you're good at that has nothing to do with the classroom...!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Ms.Jasztal, Aug 10, 2008.

1. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 10, 2008

So you're a teacher. You live at school. It's a shock to see you at the grocery store. And Wal-Mart... you actually are seen there, also.

So they believe our only talents at times are classroom-related. What are your talents OUTSIDE of the classroom?

Mine are:
    -Writing novels (this is a huge interest of mine and has always been)
    -Reading
    -Singing (though I am not amazing at it)
    -Being on stage
    -Art, in many different forms
    -Photography (well, they know this plenty... I am always taking photos of them)
    -Museums

I am a multitudinous person, lol, and very much into the arts.

Next Question- This has to do with "General Education". How do you implement your talents in your classroom?

I do a class play every year with acting/some singing/instruments, display a lot of my art, and expose my students to some of my historical interests when I take them to St. Augustine.

3. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Aug 10, 2008

I think this is a great question. You're right, sometimes we don't even think about what other things we do well... Hmm... let me think...
    I was a music major so I am pretty musical:
    Singing(I have been told I have a great voice... hope it's true)
    I play a variety of instruments
    I love being on stage too
    Love Reading
    Love walking

4. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Aug 10, 2008

I was a TV writer in my "previous life," and I'm still pretty good with words. I've got a talent for parody, puns, titles.
    I was a drama major in college, and I'm good at expressive reading. Since teaching is like being on stage for five hours, my background serves me well! I also do Macbeth with my seniors, and this year each of my five classes is going to film one act. I'm using my TV background to structure the project.
    I'm a fair artist, and I'm very good at puzzling things out.

5. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 10, 2008

Love Reading
    Good at Organizing Outings for my family
    Creative/Think outside the box for solutions in daily life
    I love my computer period.
    talking on the phone (it helped me in life to develop good hard of hearing skills)
    good at paralinguistics (between/around the language...another natural intelligence that's good for a hard of hearing person)
    okay, I love talking..period
    organizing stuff
    reflective thinker
    looking at things from 25 different angles (ex: I just used Staples Office Planner to think of 9 different office desk choices and layouts in the room that I have to work with)
    budgeting
    finding sales and deals
    chicken foot (domino game)
    game player (board and cards)

6. LoVe 2 TcH

LoVe 2 TcH Companion

Aug 10, 2008

I am artsy craftsy... I love painting unfinished wood and making various decorative designs. For example, I have made room decoration with childrens names. FYI, I have pictures for examples.

I also am into:
    - scrapbooking
    - Photography

I am not really sure how I use these in the classroom, the only way I can think of is when it comes to decorating my room.

7. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Aug 10, 2008

I'm pretty good at :
    singing
    dancing (tap, jazz and ballet)
    violin playing
    playing the recorder
    and according to my mom, I have the ability to see through the hogwash to the root of the prob.

I sing, dance and play the recorder in the class.

8. sarypotter

sarypotter Comrade

Aug 11, 2008

I'm good at procrastinating, and I put that to work in my classroom ALL the time! :p

I think I'll answer the rest of your question later.

9. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 11, 2008

My favorite answer! :lol:

10. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Aug 11, 2008

I sing. I actually started off as a musical theatre major in college. Along with my elementary degree, I also have a degree in vocal music education. I play many instruments including the piano, oboe, clarinet, marimba/xylophone, and a little guitar. I haven't done too much with it in the classroom. I helped the classes with their Christmas concert songs and brought my oboe in one day for my class, but that's about it. I should encorporate more music into my class.

11. little317

little317 Groupie

Aug 11, 2008

I'm good at drawing, painting, and writing. I use the artistic skills all the time when I create examples for my kids and during writer's workshop.

12. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Aug 11, 2008

My Non-teaching Talents:

I also started off as a theatre major... I love to act, and direct.
    I ended up a writing major, and like Ms. Jasztal, have novels in the works. People say I am a good artist, but I feel like I'm pretty basic, nothing spectacular. I can draw a decent person, or a comic easily enough. I love art museums, and visit them in every city I visit and regularly go to the ones in my city (we have at least 6.) I LOVE, LOVE NPR and hardly listen to music at all in the car. I listen to NPR morning, and noon, and evening -- but not night because here they have this show about swing music on or something, and so I listen to Love Line or this show about conspiracy theories and aliens or soemthing. It all started when I had this car in college that only had an AM radio and I couldn't get ANY top 40 music on it. I started listening to political talk, which I don't listen to as much, but it paved the way.

How these things apply to the classroom:

• I direct all the school plays!!! Kids BEG to be in my class cause they know that we will do a play! (But maybe not this year...)
    • I share my stories with the kids, it gives me a love of literature... I have tons of favorite kid books.
    • Since we don't have an art teacher, we all teach art ourselves. But I try not to just do cutesy crafts, but we study an artist and do a unit on that kind of art. I always try to do portraits, landscapes and stil lives each year. I bought a whole class set of books about several different artists and spent my own money on these.. I love them!!
    • I listen to the news on the way to school and sometimes it gives me ideas for impromptu lessons. For example, a couple years ago the population hit 400,000,000 I think... on NPR they did this great story about all the births, deaths, and immigrants. It had this 1 minute sound bite where every 9 seconds a baby would cry, a steam ship horn would blow every 12 seconds to show a new immigrant had arrived, and a funeral sound would play every 7 seconds or something (My times are probably wrong.) It made this awesome symphony of noise and I played it for the class. Then we got in groups and the kids timed themselves for 5 minutes marking off one of the variables. We got together and figured the change in population for that 5 minute period. It was a cool, impromptu lesson promted by my drive to work listening to the radio! I think I connected story problems in math to that all week! When we studied the election, it helped me every day!! The weird thing about getting all your news from the radio (or internet) is that when Katrina hit, I never saw the pictures (which they talked about) until about a week later!!

13. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Aug 11, 2008

Ms. K, why do I have an odd feeling you know my cousin? She's also a former TV writer (best known for New Gidget and Fish Police).

What am I good at?
    Singing (I used to sing light opera and may do so again)
    Acting (one of these days I'll audition for the local Shakespeare in the park group)
    Writing (two small pieces published in defunct publications)

How will I implement this? My school is apparently in need of clubs, and I'd love to start a literary magazine as well as a group to enter Young Playwrights Festival.

14. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Aug 11, 2008

Interesting to read about everyone's talents!

as for myself:
    --arts (especially scrapbooking, photography, and oil painting)
    --sometimes I paint murals too
    --I have a business and help people get out of debt
    --writing
    --reading (I'm a self-help book junkie)
    --sticking to a work out. once I get going I really love to go to the gym
    --started to get into cooking lately. like to try new recipes
    --i like design in general (interior, graphic, scrapbooking)

15. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Aug 11, 2008

I'm good at:

-scrapbooking
    -gardening
    -canning produce from my garden
    -writing - my historical fiction novel is outlined and the research is almost complete
    -research - I love finding information
    -organizing as in "A place for everything and everything in its place"

How I use these in my classroom:

-my kids make scrapbook pages all year long as the mood strikes them, both for their own album and for a class album. The class album stays in my library so other classes can look at it. s
    -my class always has excellent research and writing skills
    -my classroom is pretty tidy for the amount of materials that I have there

16. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Aug 11, 2008

I am good at:

drawing
    painting
    cooking
    baking
    cleaning
    organizing
    overanalyzing things
    sleeping
    gardening
    scrapbooking
    reading
    writing

I use this in my classroom by:

cooking small things with my students if allowed
    having plants that we can take care of
    keeping a clean and organized room
    reflecting on days and lessons
    making examples and signs with pictures to describe things
    reading aloud or while the students read on their own
    writing notes/newsletters home

Now, if only I could work in sleeping. Although, I was an excellent teacher from day one during naptime a few years back. Funny, there was very little prep and we all practiced relaxing and being quiet. Hee, hee!

17. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Aug 11, 2008

I'm good at tinkering to fix things. I can assemble most anything.

How have I used this in my room? Put together toys with vague instructions. Fix wheelchairs that are falling apart because the child needs a new one but medicaid won't pay for another one because it hasn't been three years.

18. little317

little317 Groupie

Aug 11, 2008

I can't believe I forgot to say that I love cooking!!! I always make homemade apple sauce for Johnny Appleseed week and spider cookies for the letter Ss. I might do ants on a log this year.

19. tikibad

tikibad Rookie

Aug 11, 2008

My students and other students at the new school I work at were AMAZED one day. I was setting up the PA system for the afterschool program assembly. I usually set up my laptop to play music while everyone is waiting for the assembly to start, and I usually play an instrumental and do a sound check by singing a song. When students passed by the field, they had to do a double-take when they saw me a the mic singing "Under The Sea" from The Little Mermaid. Such a shocker! Others came up to me next to the mic to check if it was REALLY me. I had to do a couple more numbers for their sake!

I am also always asked to be an emcee. I did it for the graduation, and then one of the parents asked me to emcee a Tahitian Dance Competition. I've done bridal showers and other events as well.

I am also a great secretary... not in the filing department, but in the letter writing, letterhead designing, telephone courtesy, shipping departments. I use these skills to correspond with suppliers for our school.

Computer skills excel dramatically. Powerpoints that are fun is my sort of "thing". The kids LOVE it!

20. soflgal

soflgal Companion

Aug 11, 2008

I am a part-time spinning instructor.

21. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Aug 11, 2008

I play the oboe/english horn and sing opera (mezzo-soprano).
    I can bake
    I do most of my own work on my car
    I do most home repairs

I use the experience with car/home repairs to create more interesting lessons...you never know when an analogy with a transmission or plumbing will help you explain a concept.

I use my music (and knowledge of the visual arts, ballet and drama) to create even more lessons. My favorite one is using a DaVinci painting and the concept of the vanishing point to explain systems of equations with more than two lines.

22. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Aug 11, 2008

Me too!

-I have been told I'm really good at figuring things out like how to fold a cardboard treasure chest into shape or figure out why the walkie talkies won't work. Usually it's something easy to fix, like the batteries are in backwards so i can't take too much credit.
    -I'm very good at reading maps and finding my way in strange/unfamiliar places. Went to London a while back and only got lost once in 10 days and that was because I thought I'd missed the bus stop and panicked a little.
    -I like scrapbooking, but it does take me a while to figure out what I want to do with each page.
    -I am very good at buying way too many books and putting said books into large piles to be read eventually someday. :p

23. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Aug 12, 2008

Um... yeah. I don't know why I said I was GOOD at listening to NPR. I guess that's more of a preference than a talent. Boy I get sidetracked in my thinking. Why did I write that?? It does help me in the classroom though.

24. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Aug 12, 2008

and baking, especially pies. That is my job every Thanksgiving. I commandeer my mom's kitchen for a day and bake pies from scratch.

25. lcluigs03

lcluigs03 Cohort

Aug 12, 2008

i love doing all the work on the house. i built our basement by myself...i framed it, wired it, drywalled it, mud it, painted it, did all the baseboards. it turned out AWESOME. i was surprised i could do it. the only thing my husband did was the insulation (sp?). that stuff is yucky! this summer i even replaced a wax ring and the floor in our bathroom! i LOVE doing this sort of thing. it's just finding the time to do it. :)

LC

26. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Aug 12, 2008

I learned how to replace a toilet when one of my kids threw a toy ambulance down the only working (at the time, the other bathroom was being remodeled) toilet in the house and anybody I could have turned to to help me was out of town. Long story short, I had to cut the bolts off with an angle grinder (kids love the "fireworks mommy was making in the bathroom), pull the old, now cracked one off, then put the new one together (bowl and tank were seperate) put it in place and reattatch everything ALL BY MYSELF...I didn't even have another adult to help lift the thing into place. I was really proud of myself for that one.

27. Chas

Chas Rookie

Aug 12, 2008

Guitar...i play in two Metal bands, though i deny having any musical ability at school. I like being seen as boring and having no personal life by my students. Frankly, they don't need to know what i'm doing in Friday nights, because for the most part they're not allowed to do what i'm doing on Friday nights*! Most of my hobbies outside of school are not things i want a 12 year old thinking about, even if means all the students thinking i'm the most un-cool person on the planet. Maybe when i grow up i'll share my more teacher-ly interests with the kids! For now i'm content with being "lame" :D

The only obvious outside skill i use practically in the classroom i suppose would be graphic design. Photoshop and Flash are my greatest weapons for my worksheets and PowerPoints.

*and before i hear the lecture about being a professional, i'm talking about things like going to clubs, rock concerts, karaoke bars, and things like that. Nothing i could get in trouble over, but definitely not something i want my 12 year olds thinking about when they think of me. The one time i had a concert to play right after school in another state, i had to bring two guitars with me to school (ironically, we were performing at a high school in the other state). All day long i'm hearing kids i don't even know talking about "Mr. D the rockstar". That's too much of a distraction for my liking (and i viciously denied having any musical ability whatsoever).

28. Historyteaching

Historyteaching Cohort

Aug 12, 2008

I can play the clarinet and piano
    I like to scrapbook (just take the time to do it)
    I'm pretty good with words and can create recommendation letters and things of that nature in moments.
    I love to read.
    I love playing MMORPGs
    I procrastinate..alot.
    Easily distracted...
    I love to travel, I collect odd keychains and postcards from places I've been.
    I am a picture freak..love to take pictures.
    I'm slightly creative..depends on what I'm doing and the mood I'm in.

I hate talking about myself so I'll stop. lol

29. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Aug 12, 2008

I was a "ringer" on softball teams for many years.

30. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Aug 12, 2008

I am a great reader!
    I can sew, and cross stich
    Computers, I am the computer guru in our house, and I just figure it out intutively and well, can do things I can't explain how to do! LOL
    Organizing (okay, other peoples stuff, my stuff, not so good)
    being a mom

Procrastination, I wouldn't know what all of you are talking about, I am innocent I tell ya, well okay I will tell you later, when I get around to it! :p

31. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Aug 12, 2008

Happy b'day wldywall!

32. Ghost

Ghost Habitué

Aug 12, 2008

I'm interested in archaeology/anthropology---have a degree in anth. I bring in my archealogical treasures and teach the barest of bones of paleontology.

I'm very crafty and creative, so I'm always finding new uses for things and coming up with new ideas. I'm the "go to" for problem solving.

33. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Aug 12, 2008

34. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Aug 12, 2008

I'm artistic (draw, paint, lettering).

I make a lot of school signs (StuCo, Cheer). I usually end up making the banners at varsity games.

35. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Aug 12, 2008

I can play the flute, and I'm learning percussion. It helps me in the classroom because I have a lot of exposure to music from all the ages, and I can use it as a hook in my literature classes.

I am a fairly good photographer, and I think just having that "eye" helps me teach basic design to the students when they complete projects.

I'm really good at defusing angry people. I can get an upset parent/teacher/student to calm down relatively quickly.

36. deserttrumpet

deserttrumpet Comrade

Aug 12, 2008

I love (my husband says I am adicted) to photography. I have started a photography club at the school (we're the shutter bugs). It's been a great fit. The school is too small to have a photo class and the art teacher has but a passing interest in photography.

I've also done a few senior pictures.

37. each1teach1

each1teach1 Cohort

Aug 13, 2008

I LOVE to read. I read whenever I have a spare moment.

I like my computer. Huge SIMS fan.

I used to play the trumpet (I also found out that a dirty euphemism in Mexico, lol).

I can crochet. I make blankets and scarves mostly.

38. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Aug 13, 2008

OMG -- I love playing chicken foot! I used to play it with my grandmother, and it is such fun! I haven't even heard the term in years and years. It brought back some great memories. Thanks! :)

39. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 13, 2008

My kids now know how to play. My mother, who used to play it with her sisters and mother when I was growing up, taught my husband and me when I was pregnant with my first. Now my kids know how and we all 4 play. We alternate between that and the new electronic Life Twist and Turns game these days.

40. Happy Chatter

Happy Chatter Rookie

Aug 13, 2008

Something I do wonderfully well is cook. It is a total source of relaxation to me and I can cook anything .....I have my whole family and friends constantly round eating...and I love it!

41. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 13, 2008

I avoid that. I wish that was my strength or something I considered a hobby.