something weird

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by sjcgirl07, Mar 7, 2010.

1. sjcgirl07

sjcgirl07 Companion

Mar 7, 2010

Now that I am in the teaching field and see students being tested to see if they qaulify for special services. I think back when i was in school and i remember needing some extra help with reading and math while in elementary school. I am only in my 20's but when i think about it i don't remember all the testing being done on me before i started going to the resource room for extra help in math. Does anyone else remember if they had to have assessments done on them while they were in school or was it just not done before now?

3. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Mar 7, 2010

My brother and I were tested quite a bit. We both needed help with speech and I needed resource for reading. I remember being tested constantly until I finally learned enough English and things started to click with me and got kicked out of speech and resource (yay!)

4. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Mar 7, 2010

It seems that the process to have a child placed in special ed or 504 becomes harder each year. I still struggle with the idea that a child with a learning disability MUST show a strength in one area. I don't understand that concept at all. Sometimes it seems the process that was put in place to help students has become the process to "prove" that students are desperate for help before helping. (Like the idea that they must repeat a grade before being placed - can't we help them so they DON'T repeat?)

5. bros

bros Phenom

Mar 8, 2010

Students do not have to repeat a grade before receiving IEP services. That is a falsehood that some districts spew in order to make it so they don't have to provide services.

Also, I wasn't tested from 1997-2006 while having an IEP for all the years between there :p

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 8, 2010

I have no special ed background.

But when you were a kid, there was money to burn.

Now money is a whole lot tigher. The requirements for any sort of service are probably being strictly adhered to.

7. bros

bros Phenom

Mar 9, 2010

And the regs are a bit more fleshed out, too.